Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Lightning VS Fire Which one is stronger?

bgc341

Hey guys I've Been wondering which is stronger Lightning Or fire because I  mean isn't Lightning super heated air so would it be weaker than Fire or Stronger ?

1 minute ago, bgc341 said:

Hey guys I've Been wondering which is stronger Lightning Or fire because I  mean isn't Lightning super heated air so would it be weaker than Fire or Stronger ?

Lightning can be as hot as the sun. So yeah....

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Stronger in what way?

Lightning carries a lot of force in a fraction of a second. Fire carries a lot of force over time (provided there's oxygen and fuel)

exactly. Both of them can burn a cow, but a lightning can do it in a fraction of a second

1 hour ago, Canada EH said:

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

What are your goals?

A perfectly grilled steak without the wait time.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

lightning = more pinpoint, rapid devastation

fire = more widespread "slow" burning

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

3 hours ago, IgorM said:

exactly. Both of them can burn a cow, but a lightning can do it in a fraction of a second

so lightning would be quicker and therefore have more energy than fire correct?

I'm surprised I Never thought Lightning could get that hot. wow

1 hour ago, Arika S said:

lightning = more pinpoint, rapid devastation

fire = more widespread "slow" burning

Oh Ok

IEEE 1394 or some company called it Firewire uses tree topology, every device has to include an input and output port, means device cant be smaller. it uses scsi protocol and its a pain in the butt to get drivers working. its a obsolete standard and mostly involving DV tape camcorder which is another pain in the rear side.

pros: high bandwidth, depends on device tho. coneector design less confusing than usb type a.

cons: it's not usb. very rigid cables. horrible driver support. none of the driver working on win xp and later.

Lightning is a proprietary connector of some company. basically it's a usb 3.0 cable with a clever double side design. an obsolete standard as they transitioning to usb type c.

pros: all the things about usb. without bad thing about usb micro b.

cons: connector is not as strong as usb type c. very expensive because of reasons.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

14 minutes ago, bgc341 said:

Correct.

Energy is a little harder to calculate. A lightning bolt definitely carries and can discharge more energy than a fire, assuming both last for the same amount of time. Most lightning bolts don't last for more than 1 second at most, though.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

48 minutes ago, bgc341 said:

More energy in a shorter period of time, yes.

But you're comparing apples and oranges. What's more powerful? A Hurricane or a Wildfire? Both are powerful, but in different ways. Both rely on specific environmental conditions to spread. One can spread much farther distances, but weakens as it travels inland. The other can last much longer, but needs combustible material to spread.

Take Lighting vs Fire, as in your post.

46 minutes ago, bgc341 said:

I'm surprised I Never thought Lightning could get that hot. wow

Actually, lightning can heat the surrounding air temperature up to five times the temperature of the surface of the sun.

An average bolt of lightning is around 300,000 Volts DC (compare that to other common DC voltages, such as a graphics card: 12V, a smartphone: 5V, a CPU: 1.5V, etc). Also, the current involved is averaged around 30,000 Amperes.

As we know, Watts = Volts * Amps

W = 300,000 * 30,000

= 9,000,000,000 Watts of power

That's 1 billion watts - or 1 Gigawatt.

On the flip side, the lightning bolt lasts around 30 microseconds (that's 0.3 milliseconds). A lightning storm might have hundreds of lightning strikes, but each strike is pinpoint small.

Fire, on the other hand, will continue to spread, so long as there's enough fuel and oxygen, given the right conditions. Wildfires in particular tend to be much more devastating than a lightning storm, but a lightning storm may only last a few hours, whereas wildfires can burn for months.

So, if you compare, say, a single strike of lightning to a single lick of flame, obviously the lightning is far more powerful. But flame can be any size, from a tiny lighter flame up to a massive wildfire.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The average lightning bolt has approximately 5 billion joules of energy[1] - released within a matter of milliseconds.

Assuming the fire is burning wood, then depending on the type of wood, you would have approximately 10 million joules of energy released when burning 1 kilogram of wood[2]. So by that maths you really only need to burn 500kg of wood to equal the amount of energy released by a single lightning bolt.

You could also burn other materials, such as petrol, which will have a much higher energy content than wood. You will only need about 150 litres of petrol to equal the same energy as a lightning bolt.

You could 'burn' something like 1000kg of TNT and release the same energy as a lightning bolt in roughly the same amount of time as a lightning bolt.

So if you're burning a single log in the fire place, then lightning wins. If you're talking about a forest fire where several hectares of forest are on fire, then the fire wins by a long shot. If you want to know which has more destructive force, look at photos of cars damaged by lightning, and then compare that to photos of cars that were damaged by a forest fire. Fire wins.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

An average bolt of lightning is around 300,000 Volts DC (compare that to other common DC voltages, such as a graphics card: 12V, a smartphone: 5V, a CPU: 1.5V, etc). Also, the current involved is averaged around 30,000 Amperes.

As we know, Watts = Volts * Amps

W = 300,000 * 30,000

= 9,000,000,000 Watts of power

That's 1 billion watts - or 1 Gigawatt.

I've heard it from a reputable source (Doc Brown) it must at least be 1.21 Gigawatts.

1 minute ago, RorzNZ said:

I've heard it from a reputable source (Doc Brown) it must at least be 1.21 Gigawatts.

That would certainly line up with my averages - Doc Brown did his research.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 hours ago, Drak3 said:

A perfectly grilled steak without the wait time.

Impossible

Spoiler

Or is it?

I always considered fire to be little more than a chemical reaction, while lighting is huge ass excess of electrons the field can no longer contain.  One is (for all intents and purposes) raw energy the other is the release of energy in the form of heat which then sustains the chemical reaction.   

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 hours ago, Spotty said:

You could 'burn' something like 1000kg of TNT

i'm a fan of those quotation marks

🌲🌲🌲

Judge the product by its own merits, not by the Company that created it.

12 hours ago, IgorM said:

Fire can too if the temperature is high enough... not that "fire" really identifies a specific phenomenon anyway. It's just a bunch of energy being released by a chemical reaction.

In the end it's just a matter of how much energy is being released by the lightning strike and how much is being released by the "fire".

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

21 hours ago, bgc341 said:

acordingo to wikipedia a lightning carries approximately 5 billion joules[1] or about the energy stored in 145 litres of petrol