I have a prob here if anyone would help (Laptop Overclocking)

vassag3

Hi

I just bought a new laptop amazon link (https://www.amazon.com/VivoBook-i7-8550U-Processor-GeForce-Backlit/dp/B07661CYPD?th=1) and specs link (https://www.cnet.com/products/asus-vivobook-pro-17-n705ud-eh76-17-3-core-i7-8550u-16-gb-ram-256-gb-ssd-plus-1-tb-hdd/specs/) 

So the thing is I wanna overclock the cpu cuz its 1.80GHz and wats yall opinion if I overclock to 2.50 to 3.0GHz and wats d safest method 

Thanks.

You know that processor turbo's up to 4.0GHz right out of the box right?

I don't see any reason to OC.

Besides, its probably impossible without a BIOS flash, AND your integrated cooler probably isn't designed to handle anything more than what it's already getting. I would avoid it personally.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

dont OC laptops unless they are the beefy gaming ones but even then its still not a good idea. the cooling in them is not made to handle an OC. 

thanks yall for replying so basically I bought bullshit?

what if I undervolt and OC ?

will it still have a cooling prob?

You can't. CPU is locked.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

1 minute ago, vassag3 said:

thanks yall for replying so basically I bought bullshit?

Definitely not. You have to understand that - especially the u series of intel CPUs are for laptop, with priorities different to desktop CPUs. They prefer battery over performance for example. However, as a guy with the same CPU, your not getting a bad CPU. It's still quad core, has decent single and multiple core speeds and works well.

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

2 minutes ago, vassag3 said:

what if I undervolt and OC ?

will it still have a cooling prob?

You most likely will not be able to do either. Most OEMs lock all this stuff out the BIOS anyway. Normally the OEM will try and strike the best setting that gives you mad performance for minimal thermals and power draw then locks the multiplier. You could try to find an unlocked bios, but I would be carefully about this, it can brick your laptop if not done right

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

so newbie to laptop specs n shit what is intel turbo boost 2?

it says my laptop has turbo boost function

16 minutes ago, vassag3 said:

so newbie to laptop specs n shit what is intel turbo boost 2?

it says my laptop has turbo boost function

Like I said in my first comment, your CPU will turbo up to 4GHz automatically. Turbo allows the CPU to go significantly above it's base clock when the temperatures allow for it. So basically, your CPU will overclock itself automatically to it's maximum whenever possible.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO