Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Active Noise Cancelling Headphones for PC?

TotallyUseless

Hi Guys,

I am wondering if there are any active noise cancelling headphones that are specifically designed for use with PC in mind?

The Bose and Sony active noise cancelling headphones I have tested all need to be charged before they could be used at all. I am looking for one that doesn't need to be charged and would just feed off from the power being provided by the PC.

I don't think those are actually a thing, a quality pair of Over ear headphones usually have good noise cancellation anyways. (Bose and Sony) are more of a brand image, travel headphones like Beats. That is just my take on it.

Wow are you guys not familiar with Active Noise Cancelling headphones at all? Seriously guys...

15 hours ago, Brewnasty said:

I don't think those are actually a thing, a quality pair of Over ear headphones usually have good noise cancellation anyways. (Bose and Sony) are more of a brand image, travel headphones like Beats. That is just my take on it.

Wrong. Dude, no offense, go out to a music store and put one on so you'll learn the difference.

ANC is typically something that’s only useful when you’re outside or on plane

For home situation, a good closed headphone typically is enough to block outside noise and will provide better sound compared to similarly priced ANC headphone.

if you actually do need ANC headphone at home, i could only say i’m sorry for your situation 

Active noise cancellation is a good tech, but, something like good IEMs will actually suit you better. (or a good isolating over-ear set for that matter)

For two reasons:

1) Headphones with good passive insulation actually block out more noise (measured in dB) than active noise cancelling headphones

2) Headphones with ANC are inherently going to sound worse, for all sorts of reasons that I won't go into here.

The best bet is a set of nice IEMs, or some good isolating over-ears.
ANC is mostly a marketing gimmick.
Yes, it works, and the effect when you flick the switch on or off IS very noticeable (because it does work)

But wearing good passive-insulation headphones will still do a better job.
There's a good reason why things like active ear defenders don't exist.

Video reviews: https://youtube.com/goldensound Written reviews and measurements: https://goldensound.audio
Current Main Setup: Roon -> HQPlayer -> Intel NUC -> Intona 7055-C Isolator -> Holo Audio May KTE DAC-> Holo Serene KTE preamp -> Benchmark AHB2 / Woo WA33
Most used headphones: Hifiman Susvara, Abyss 1266 Phi TC, Sennheiser HD800-S

11 hours ago, TotallyUseless said:

Wrong. Dude, no offense, go out to a music store and put one on so you'll learn the difference.

He's not really wrong. My closed back headphones block out a lot of sound. In my opinion there's no point in making them "specifically for PC gaming". They're made for noisy environments, which is often when your on the go traveling or in a public place, maybe the office. I can't even hear my PC with all fans on maximum speed, with my headphones on and sound playing. I'm guessing with PC specific you mean wired, but I think the market for wired ANC headphones is a bit too small.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

16 hours ago, xtroria said:

ANC is typically something that’s only useful when you’re outside or on plane

For home situation, a good closed headphone typically is enough to block outside noise and will provide better sound compared to similarly priced ANC headphone.

if you actually do need ANC headphone at home, i could only say i’m sorry for your situation 

THANK YOU!

16 hours ago, TotallyUseless said:

I was not trying to be rude, but you came off rude. And it is true, good quality headphones are fantastic at cancelling out surroundings, and if you need an ANC at home i will agree i feel bad for your situation.