Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i5 9600k - Is the 6core / 6 thread a real drawback?

So i just watched a review by Gamers Nexus on the i5 9600k. What i had been seeing in benchmarks was generally really great results, and at high resolutions it was putting out identical results to the 9900k in many cases. What they did was analyse the amount of frame dropping that happened, and to cut what i took from their 20 min video short is "Games are being optimised for 8 threads, the i5 having only 6 causes frame drops in some titles".

 

They ended on not recommending the i5. 

 

Is this an actual problem with the i5 9600k? I am not very knowledgeable about this issue. I have been considering the 9600k as it is more affordable than a 9700k and overclocks to 5ghz easily but now i am not so sure

 

Video for the curious

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

"Games are being optimised for 8 threads, the i5 having only 6 causes frame drops in some titles".

Not really, no. Plenty of games still play well with even just quad cores.

 

If gaming's the only thing you're worried about, the 8600k is a much better buy depending on the price difference.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD


Inside some old case I found lying around.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Not really, no. Plenty of games still play well with even just quad cores.

 

If gaming's the only thing you're worried about, the 8600k is a much better buy depending on the price difference.

I can get a brand new 8600k for $415 AUD, or a 9600k brand new for $428 AUD so the 8600k wasn't really on my radar.

 

i'm glad you say the frame dropping isnt a problem, i was pretty confident in my decision then that video worried me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

i'm glad you say the frame dropping isnt a problem, i was pretty confident in my decision then that video worried me

This will still depend on the game tho. There are those that love to eat CPU cores (I'm looking at you Ubisoft Open world games).

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD


Inside some old case I found lying around.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9600k is just factory delidded 8600k, as far as cooling's concerned.

 

11 minutes ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

What they did was analyse the amount of frame dropping that happened,

dont stream at the same time and you'll be fine

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, bleedblue said:

This will still depend on the game tho. There are those that love to eat CPU cores (I'm looking at you Ubisoft Open world games).

Are those games super common, or is it more a couple of outliers? i remember back in the day that games generally didn't optimise for higher core counts very well which makes me a bit surprised that there are some that are eating cpu cores

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

i remember back in the day

How far back is "back in the day"   ?

 

There needs to be a perspective.

 

Serious question actually because games have advanced so far since the days of DOS C:\ days and

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.VaE47PAKSYxGQAD4fID70AHaFF%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

GameSpy: GameSpy's 25 Favorite PC Games of the '90s - Page 2

Yes that is Linus at age 1 because I am guessing his age to be 30'ish, games are early 90's. I guess I could check wiki.

 

Even further "Back in the day"

good ole ASCII games!

 

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Z2pgVBTgdQ5ZmMACcQXU6gHaFk%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

How far back is "back in the day"   ?

 

There needs to be a perspective.

 

Serious question actually because games have advanced so far since the days of DOS C:\ days and

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.VaE47PAKSYxGQAD4fID70AHaFF%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

GameSpy: GameSpy's 25 Favorite PC Games of the '90s - Page 2

Yes that is Linus at age 1 because I am guessing his age to be 30'ish, games are early 90's. I guess I could check wiki.

 

Even further "Back in the day"

good ole ASCII games!

 

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse4.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.Z2pgVBTgdQ5ZmMACcQXU6gHaFk%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

 

haha, not that far back, more like 2008

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 minutes ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

i remember back in the day

2 minutes ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

haha, not that far back, more like 2008 

 

 

That is quite interesting, the way you worded it, just curious is all.

 

Gramps will just crack a few cold ones because I don't even know the games off hand of 2008. Grand Theft Auto days I guess, that is all that comes to mind, which was like what Core 2 Quad  days with 2GB.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

Are those games super common, or is it more a couple of outliers? i remember back in the day that games generally didn't optimise for higher core counts very well which makes me a bit surprised that there are some that are eating cpu cores

i had an 8600k, it's probably less than 10 games atm that has problems, worst ones first. farcry 5, monster hunter, anything warhammer, sotr,  shadow of war, download and write speed above a certain level, (100% cpu usage capping speed, depends on ur internet connection), ACO. Most people use Ashes of singularity for a cpu stress, it used to be a not-so-realistic comparison to real games, but it could be an indication of how hard it chokes in future games. 

 

I highly recommend a 8700/k or 2600/x, 2700/x over the 8600k, imho 6c/6t is a mistake in 2018.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, xg32 said:

i had an 8600k, it's probably less than 10 games atm that has problems, worst ones first. farcry 5, monster hunter, anything warhammer, sotr,  shadow of war, download and write speed above a certain level, (100% cpu usage capping speed, depends on ur internet connection), ACO. Most people use Ashes of singularity for a cpu stress, it used to be a not-so-realistic comparison to real games, but it could be an indication of how hard it chokes in future games. 

  

I highly recommend a 8700/k or 2600/x, 2700/x over the 8600k, imho 6c/6t is a mistake in 2018.

CPUs seem to improve very slowly and you get to skip quite a few generations before needing to upgrade. So i'm guessing if i wanted to sit on this one for many years to get max value out of it, thats where the thread problem will really begin to bite me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

CPUs seem to improve very slowly and you get to skip quite a few generations before needing to upgrade. So i'm guessing if i wanted to sit on this one for many years to get max value out of it, thats where the thread problem will really begin to bite me?

it depends on the games you play, if you play the games i listed, there's not really much you can do other than maxing out graphics quality to make it look better. I'd say you'll be fine in 90% of the games (this numbers goes down over time), i'd guess the cpu will really lag around 2020 in general when the ps5 comes out, and most games will be optimized for 8cores. 

 

I have to mention, of the games i listed, only fc5 ,mhw, warhammer dipped below 60. Overall the 8600k just seemed to hit 100% very easily (some people noted that on launch, i thought it'd be just a meme lol)

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

nowadays more cores = more unoptimise games  

eg are ubisoft, denuvo etc

its like the same question 6 yr ago: i5 or i7?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, xg32 said:

I highly recommend a 8700/k or 2600/x, 2700/x over the 8600k, imho 6c/6t is a mistake in 2018.

I disagree with this.

 

Still too many things to consider when choosing a CPU for gaming to make a blanket statement like this.
For the most part, it will depend on the games he will play, and how much he is willing to spend.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD


Inside some old case I found lying around.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

its like the same question 6 yr ago: i5 or i7?

except 6 years ago a i5 and an i7 was only seperated by hyperthreading........

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

CPUs seem to improve very slowly and you get to skip quite a few generations before needing to upgrade. So i'm guessing if i wanted to sit on this one for many years to get max value out of it, thats where the thread problem will really begin to bite me?

i mean, the most modern titles are starting to dislike 4 cores somewhat. and when it comes to CPUs improving slowly it is related to intel being market leader for the better part of a decade and generally not having to innovate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Jurrunio said:

9600k is just factory delidded 8600k, as far as cooling's concerned.

 

dont stream at the same time and you'll be fine

Yeah, i'm kinda glad about the factory delidding since i've never delidded a CPU myself and would be scared of destroying it. thanks for the input.. its a hard choice for me since its the rig i'll use for quite a few years and a wrong decision on CPU will have me kicking myself

15 hours ago, xg32 said:

i had an 8600k, it's probably less than 10 games atm that has problems, worst ones first. farcry 5, monster hunter, anything warhammer, sotr,  shadow of war, download and write speed above a certain level, (100% cpu usage capping speed, depends on ur internet connection), ACO. Most people use Ashes of singularity for a cpu stress, it used to be a not-so-realistic comparison to real games, but it could be an indication of how hard it chokes in future games. 

 

I highly recommend a 8700/k or 2600/x, 2700/x over the 8600k, imho 6c/6t is a mistake in 2018.

So, pricing wise what i'm looking at here in Aus is a 2700x goes for $499, an 8700k goes for $599, and a 9600k goes for $428. I don't think i've ever used an AMD cpu ever. i am open to it though. i personally just get caught in "if i just spend a little bit more i get x instead of y" those $100 price gaps drive me nuts. i don't stream or do anything like that though i just game

15 hours ago, bleedblue said:

I disagree with this.

 

Still too many things to consider when choosing a CPU for gaming to make a blanket statement like this.
For the most part, it will depend on the games he will play, and how much he is willing to spend.

games i like right now:

 

Total warhammer 2, Stellaris, Cities Skylines, Monster Hunter, Hitman and Hitman 2, Witcher 3, but generally i end up getting a couple of the big triple A games a year depending on what catches my eye. 

 

as for how much i'm willing to spend, i'd like to stay under $500 aud if possible, but if stretching to $600 for an 8700k will net me good results i'm willing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

Yeah, i'm kinda glad about the factory delidding since i've never delidded a CPU myself and would be scared of destroying it. thanks for the input.. its a hard choice for me since its the rig i'll use for quite a few years and a wrong decision on CPU will have me kicking myself

Another choice is the locked 8700. More threads, less single thread performance should bring gaming performance to about the same level. Even the price is close, since you can use cheaper board and cooler for it.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

 

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

 

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, OttoVonBismarck said:

.

the 8700 non k is a great option, if you can get it for a similar price to a 8600k/9600k.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't get a 6c/6t cpu at this point...so many games are eating cpu ressources nowadays...you'll hate yourself.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×