Where to buy a used card?

Ogreclock

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a new/used 1080.  Any recommendations on non-sketchy places to buy new, and any recommendations when buying used?

Many thanks

9 minutes ago, Ogreclock said:

Hey all,

I'm looking to buy a new/used 1080.  Any recommendations on non-sketchy places to buy new, and any recommendations when buying used?

Many thanks

Which country? My cousin has gotten amazing deals off of ebay and facebook marketplace, but it all depends on whether you can tell a scam from a legit deal.

Just now, _d0nut said:

Which country? My cousin has gotten amazing deals off of ebay and facebook marketplace, but it all depends on whether you can tell a scam from a legit deal.

United States.  I do suppose that would be a good bit of info to share haha

2 minutes ago, Ogreclock said:

For buying new, check pcpartpicker.com

It filters through many legit sites(that deliver to the US) and picks out the cheapest deal.

1 minute ago, Ogreclock said:

Facebook marketplace always has idiots that don't know what they're on about. Can get good deals. 

In australia we have this thing called Gumtree.com kinda like craiglist but less dodgy. Maybe  you have something similar.over there in the states

6 minutes ago, Ogreclock said:

Craigslist and ebay are my go-to sites. eBay has a great money back guarantee, if you've never used it before. It pretty much says "get exactly what you ordered or your money back". Craigslist tends to have slightly better prices in my experience though, partially due to no shipping. If you go with CL (or facebook marketplace), make sure you see the card run in person before buying. Some people might not want to, but I've brought a PC into a library to test it before buying. It's cheap "insurance", for lack of a better word.

edit: You obviously have to be comfortable (and old enough) to use craigslist, but I've gotten some really good deals off it.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

14 minutes ago, Ogreclock said:

Hey all,

Many thanks

I always keep an eye on a subreddit buildapcsales. They usually list both used and new video card deals, ebay included. 

6 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

For buying new, check pcpartpicker.com

It filters through many legit sites(that deliver to the US) and picks out the cheapest deal.

Many thanks!  It didn't even cross my mind to check pcpartpicker

7 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Craigslist and ebay are my go-to sites. eBay has a great money back guarantee, if you've never used it before. It pretty much says "get exactly what you ordered or your money back". Craigslist tends to have slightly better prices in my experience though, partially due to no shipping. If you go with CL (or facebook marketplace), make sure you see the card run in person before buying. Some people might not want to, but I've brought a PC into a library to test it before buying. It's cheap "insurance", for lack of a better word.

edit: You obviously have to be comfortable (and old enough) to use craigslist, but I've gotten some really good deals off it.

Thanks for the tips.  I've heard people say how risky it is to buy used pc parts, but how true does it turn out to be?

7 minutes ago, Ogreclock said:

Thanks for the tips.  I've heard people say how risky it is to buy used pc parts, but how true does it turn out to be?

Lots of people looking to make a quick buck but usually people are legit. Its pretty easy to spot a scammer based on their feedback on ebay, the listing and how detailed it is, and the price. 

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

13 minutes ago, Ogreclock said:

Well, obviously it's riskier than buying new, but it depends on the part. CPUs are the best example. No matter what anyone says, it's damn hard to kill a CPU. You can easily by turning on extreme overvoltage in the BIOS without proper cooling of course, but no one does this. GPUs are probably the second best. They last a relatively long time, and good manufacturers usually have 3 year warranties (so you could find a 1080 Ti for relatively cheap that still has 2+ years on the warranty, ask me how I know ;) ). PSUs would seem like a decent part to buy used, since a quality PSU usually has a 5-10+ year warranty, but I would still buy that new since it is arguably the most important piece to a build (you can use your best judgement here though). Cases... well it's just sheet metal lol. Motherboards I would never buy used, unless the part is no longer manufactured (think like Haswell and older). RAM is probably fine to buy used. CPU cooler depends (though you're likely to not save a whole lot over new). If it's air, then yeah cause it's just heat pipes (if damaged, it will be visible). Water coolers I wouldn't, since it could have a dead pump, or a tiny leak you don't initially see, etc.

As far as peripherals go, I wouldn't buy a mouse or keyboard used because other people's hands have been on that for who knows how long (you might be fine with it though). Monitors on the other hand, all 3 of my current monitors are used, and I got smoking deals on them. My main monitor (Asus MX34VQ 1440p UW 100Hz) was new-in-box on craigslist, and I got it for $200 off new price.

Basically it's just a matter of using your best judgement. If the person isn't providing information or seems otherwise evasive, keep looking. If they put everything in the initial ad and answer whatever questions you have, it's more than likely a legit piece.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

3 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Well, obviously it's riskier than buying new, but it depends on the part. CPUs are the best example. No matter what anyone says, it's damn hard to kill a CPU. You can easily by turning on extreme overvoltage in the BIOS without proper cooling of course, but no one does this. GPUs are probably the second best. They last a relatively long time, and good manufacturers usually have 3 year warranties (so you could find a 1080 Ti for relatively cheap that still has 2+ years on the warranty, ask me how I know ;) ). PSUs would seem like a decent part to buy used, since a quality PSU usually has a 5-10+ year warranty, but I would still buy that new since it is arguably the most important piece to a build (you can use your best judgement here though). Cases... well it's just sheet metal lol. Motherboards I would never buy used, unless the part is no longer manufactured (think like Haswell and older). RAM is probably fine to buy used. CPU cooler depends. If it's air, then yeah cause it's just heat pipes (if damaged, it will be visible). Water coolers I wouldn't, since it could have a dead pump, or a tiny leak you don't initially see, etc.

As far as peripherals go, I wouldn't buy a mouse or keyboard used because other people's hands have been on that for who knows how long (you might be fine with it though). Monitors on the other hand, all 3 of my current monitors are used, and I got smoking deals on them. My main monitor (Asus MX34VQ 1440p UW 100Hz) was new-in-box on craigslist, and I got it for $200 off new price.

Basically it's just a matter of using your best judgement. If the person isn't providing information or seems otherwise evasive, keep looking. If they put everything in the initial ad and answer whatever questions you have, it's more than likely a legit piece.

Good to know!  I've been looking into upgrading, but unfortunately I didn't take advantage of the dropping prices of the 10 series when it happened and I don't really want to purchase an RTX card.  Anyways, I'm pretty new to the economics of PC parts, and buying used has seemed extremely sketchy so I appreciate the advice. 

16 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Lots of people looking to make a quick buck but usually people are legit. Its pretty easy to spot a scammer based on their feedback on ebay, the listing and how detailed it is, and the price. 

Great point.  Good to know the feedback system is worth something at least.  I'm probably overly cautious when looking to buy stuff off ebay

2 minutes ago, Ogreclock said:

Great point.  Good to know the feedback system is worth something at least.  I'm probably overly cautious when looking to buy stuff off ebay

the ebay moneyback guarantee is a god-send, and gave me the confidence to buy my refurbished monitor

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Quite a few 1080’s popping up on Facebook and Craigslist. 

If they are a dedicated seller, they will allow you to see it working.

They are a bit more than what i got some for but listing for 350 or so. If that’s around your budget. Not sure I’d buy one new. I’d rather get a used 1080ti or something. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz