Thermal sensor adhesive of choice?

I have a motherboard with some connectors for thermal sensor cords to plug into. The sensing end of the cord needs to be attached to parts with an adhesive, however there is no recommendation in my manual for what type of adhesive is safe to use on the parts (mainly thinking melting of tape or release of chemicals via excessive heat). These sensors would be placed on my CPU water cooling block, on the heatsink of my chipset, and somewhere on my GPU (where should I place it?).

Also, if I have 3 thermal sensing cables, do you have any recommendations on which 3 parts would be best to monitor? Do I have the 3 right (CPU cooling block, chipset, GPU)?

1 minute ago, noname0112358 said:

I have a motherboard with some connectors for thermal sensor cords to plug into. The sensing end of the cord needs to be attached to parts with an adhesive, however there is no recommendation in my manual for what type of adhesive is safe to use on the parts (mainly thinking melting of tape or release of chemicals via excessive heat). These sensors would be placed on my CPU water cooling block, on the heatsink of my chipset, and somewhere on my GPU (where should I place it).

Also, if I have 3 thermal sensing cables, do you have any recommendations on which 3 parts would be best to monitor? Do I have the 3 right (CPU cooling block, chipset, GPU)?

The simplest option would be some regular tape or ideally kapton tape. If you want to thermally bond the sensors in place you can get thermally conductive epoxy or use very thin CA glue. 

1 CPU VRMs, 1 GPU VRMs, and 1 GPU memory.

cpu cooling block doesnt really matter, gpu can already be recorded and chipset will not go under load. as for adhesive, idk.

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

The simplest option would be some regular tape or ideally kapton tape. If you want to thermally bond the sensors in place you can get thermally conductive epoxy or use very thin CA glue. 

Thanks! I'll order some Kapton tape!

7 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

1 CPU VRMs, 1 GPU VRMs, and 1 GPU memory.

cpu cooling block doesnt really matter, gpu can already be recorded and chipset will not go under load. as for adhesive, idk.

How do I find the VRMs and the memory of the GPU? Particularly, I'm confused as to exactly where to attach the sensing end of the cable to (could go literally anywhere, with my (current lack of) knowledge)

Just now, noname0112358 said:

How do I find the VRMs and the memory of the GPU? Particularly, I'm confused as to exactly where to attach the sensing end of the cable to (could go literally anywhere, with my (current lack of) knowledge)

You have sensors built in for VRM of the motherboard and for the GPU you can adhere it onto the backplate as long as it has one. A good place to put sensors is the intake or inside the fins of a rad to get general fluid operating temps. 

10 minutes ago, W-L said:

You have sensors built in for VRM of the motherboard and for the GPU you can adhere it onto the backplate as long as it has one. A good place to put sensors is the intake or inside the fins of a rad to get general fluid operating temps. 

So some parts of a motherboard have temperature sensors built-in (a.k.a. not requiring an external temperature probe to be adhered to it) to allow temperatures to be displayed in monitoring tools? Which parts would these be?

@W-L, is kapton tape safe to attach to any stationary parts? e.g. circuit boards of parts. Would that cause problems?

1 minute ago, noname0112358 said:

So some parts of a motherboard have temperature sensors built-in (a.k.a. not requiring an external temperature probe to be adhered to it) to allow temperatures to be displayed in monitoring tools? Which parts would these be?

It varies depending on the board as some may even have multiple sensors for one component as they split it in sections, the basic standard is the VRM, PCH, motherboard, socket/CPU.

Kapton is safe to use on the board as those thermistor sensors are wrapped in them, I'd recommend to put them on heatsinks themselves to get an idea of the heat coming off the components.