What's wrong with my PC?

1 hour ago, rferber said:

If I were you, I would just copy and paste your games onto the HDD, and reinstall Windows completely. If you have a flash drive, just install Windows as you were setting up a brand new rig. Put ONLY Windows on the SSD, if possible.

Reinstalling Windows will not only be a fresh start, but it will get rid of any malware you may have gotten unbeknownst to you.

yeah but how do i set it up to know where the programs I already have installed are? is there a way to have it see the games and know that they're already installed? or do I have to reinstall most of everything?

52 minutes ago, tmakin said:

yeah but how do i set it up to know where the programs I already have installed are? is there a way to have it see the games and know that they're already installed? or do I have to reinstall most of everything?

If you have Steam games, you can go to the Steam directory and copy the common folder to the HDD. Once you have windows preinstalled, you can create a Steam directory from your HDD:

Just now, rferber said:

If you have Steam games, you can go to the Steam directory and copy the common folder to the HDD. Once you have windows preinstalled, you can create a Steam directory from your HDD:

ok thks anything I can do for my other stuff?

Just now, tmakin said:

ok thks anything I can do for my other stuff?

I'm not sure about the other stuff. I usually install programs after I wipe my hard drive and have never copied a program. I haven't watched this video, but it might help?

On 12/3/2018 at 8:00 PM, rferber said:

I'm not sure about the other stuff. I usually install programs after I wipe my hard drive and have never copied a program. I haven't watched this video, but it might help?

Uhhh cpu usage went waaaaaaay down after reinstall on ssd but i still get 40-50 fps on superposition 1080p extreme and 80-210 on 1080p medium. I have a 1080 ti. Something doesn't make sense.

On 12/5/2018 at 8:44 PM, tmakin said:

Uhhh cpu usage went waaaaaaay down after reinstall on ssd but i still get 40-50 fps on superposition 1080p extreme and 80-210 on 1080p medium. I have a 1080 ti. Something doesn't make sense.

Hmm... I'm not sure what else to say. Maybe your CPU is bad?

On 12/8/2018 at 4:10 PM, rferber said:

Hmm... I'm not sure what else to say. Maybe your CPU is bad?

yeah that's prob it...I'm gonna upgrade eventually but it's ok for now. It sticks at an acceptable FPS, but it drops a lot.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:19 PM, rferber said:

If I were you, I would just copy and paste your games onto the HDD, and reinstall Windows completely. If you have a flash drive, just install Windows as you were setting up a brand new rig. Put ONLY Windows on the SSD, if possible.

Reinstalling Windows will not only be a fresh start, but it will get rid of any malware you may have gotten unbeknownst to you.

Why only windows on a 1TB SSD?

@tmakin if your cpu usage went way down that means something was constantly running and using cpu resources. Did you establish what that was to prevent it in the future?

Can you get a copy of windows 10 pro with a valid CD key?

Build 1703 if possible? (yes I know, but build 1709 gave me the "down arrow tiles" problem I could not get rid of on a clean install, and 1803 is garbage).
if you can, I suggest installing that clean (it shouldn't delete your steam folder, but if it's in c:\program files\steam it may back it up, which then gets annoying to recover), choosing "do not download updates" while installing, then as soon as it's done installing, as soon as you have internet access, download "Shutup 10" and block EVERYTHING, which will stop any windows updates from happening.  Then install all chipset, Intel ME drivers, USB, etc as required.

When you need to enter your key, you may have to enable windows updates in "services.msc" (just run it).  Once you get registered, then very seriously consider buying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and installing that and enabling protection.  This will go a long way.

I'm using a completely unpatched build 1703 on both my laptop and i9 9900K desktop with no issues at all and no strange processes taking up CPU.

As far as upgrading, a 7700K is a drop in replacement for the low power CPU.  Just have a good heatsink/fan (or AIO) ready.