What's wrong with my PC?

Look--I know my CPU is trash, but it shouldn't be THIS trash. My rig is as follows:

MSI GAMING Z270 M3

EVGA SC GTX 1080 Ti

Intel Core i7-7700t (yes i know it's low power--a rookie mistake)

EVGA Silver 750W (another beginner's mistake--it's not an AiO)

Intel Optane 32GB + Old 500GB Seagate HDD (Boot)

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Game storage)

Old stuff is stored on a couple old drives-- not important.

OS: Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (but it had issues since before Pro and before Insider)

Pls let me know--I have a terrible CPU bottleneck & my expensive GPU is not performing even close to where it should be. I'm in the market for a new MB + CPU--price isn't really an issue & I want current-gen parts (if you think that's the problem) 

I'm pretty sure there's a bottleneck--what should I upgrade to and/or what else should I change?

What's wrong with my PC?

4 minutes ago, tmakin said:

Pls let me know--I have a terrible CPU bottleneck

???

upgrade your CPU?

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

yeah but like which one? do i go for one with more pcie lanes to support 16x on graphics and 4x for each of my m.2 ssds?

6 minutes ago, tmakin said:

Look--I know my CPU is trash, but it shouldn't be THIS trash. My rig is as follows:

MSI GAMING Z270 M3

EVGA SC GTX 1080 Ti

OS: Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview (but it had issues since before Pro and before Insider)

Pls let me know--I have a terrible CPU bottleneck & my expensive GPU is not performing even close to where it should be. I'm in the market for a new MB + CPU--price isn't really an issue & I want current-gen parts (if you think that's the problem) 

You have your OS on your HDD. Don't, put it on the SSD.

aight

can i just use minitool or something to port it over or do I have to boot from a different drive to move my OS (I assume the latter lol)

18 minutes ago, tmakin said:

aight

can i just use minitool or something to port it over or do I have to boot from a different drive to move my OS (I assume the latter lol)

Please quote people so they get a notification for your responses. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Please quote people so they get a notification for your responses. 

ohhh got it lol

2 minutes ago, tmakin said:

ohhh got it lol

There you go. ?

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

2 hours ago, tmakin said:

yeah but like which one? do i go for one with more pcie lanes to support 16x on graphics and 4x for each of my m.2 ssds?

The SSDs should have enough lanes if you have a z270 motherboard, since the CPU has 16 and the motherboard has 8 of its own for a total of 24.

Also why is a 750W EVGA PSU a mistake?

You shouldnt have a terrible CPU bottleneck as long as its boosting. Have you got terrible malware using all your resources or something? Thatd be the first thing i would check.

Do you have the monitor plugged into the motherboard and its using the iGPU?(dont laugh ive seen it done before)

19 hours ago, Amazonsucks said:

The SSDs should have enough lanes if you have a z270 motherboard, since the CPU has 16 and the motherboard has 8 of its own for a total of 24.

Also why is a 750W EVGA PSU a mistake?

You shouldnt have a terrible CPU bottleneck as long as its boosting. Have you got terrible malware using all your resources or something? Thatd be the first thing i would check.

Do you have the monitor plugged into the motherboard and its using the iGPU?(dont laugh ive seen it done before)

PSU: It's not modular--that was the mistake. It's not a performance issue, just a cable management issue.

CPU: #1 It's a T CPU--it can't overclock, it has 4 cores 8 threads, it runs at low power, the base clock is 2.9 and the boost clock is 3.6. System is what Task Manager says is taking up everything.

GPU: No lol--I've tried direct into the GPU but since I got Oculus I have to have it though an adapter--but if anything it was worse before. I might have a defective card--Six Siege on Ultra shouldn't run at 90 FPS with a 20 FPS minimum. Superposition gets a terrible reading--I don't have it on me rn & I'll run it again later. Often my PC will crash, only resuming when I unplug my monitor and plug it back in, and even then the mouse and keyboard won't work and I have to hard restart. 

2 hours ago, tmakin said:

PSU: It's not modular--that was the mistake. It's not a performance issue, just a cable management issue.

CPU: #1 It's a T CPU--it can't overclock, it has 4 cores 8 threads, it runs at low power, the base clock is 2.9 and the boost clock is 3.6. System is what Task Manager says is taking up everything.

GPU: No lol--I've tried direct into the GPU but since I got Oculus I have to have it though an adapter--but if anything it was worse before. I might have a defective card--Six Siege on Ultra shouldn't run at 90 FPS with a 20 FPS minimum. Superposition gets a terrible reading--I don't have it on me rn & I'll run it again later. Often my PC will crash, only resuming when I unplug my monitor and plug it back in, and even then the mouse and keyboard won't work and I have to hard restart. 

What do you mean system is what task manager says is taking up everything? 

And do you have the latest drivers installed and configured properly?

1 hour ago, Amazonsucks said:

What do you mean system is what task manager says is taking up everything? 

And do you have the latest drivers installed and configured properly?

In task manager, System is taking up 1/3 of my cpu. However, the only thing registering significant cpu usage in details is System Idle Process. I think it's my cpu not gpu because I got 5878 in superposition today. Though that's a little low for a 1080 ti, my crappy processor is what i think is holding me back. I've reinstalled drivers several times using DDU, but this has only temporarily improved performance. It seems different boot to boot. I'm gonna re-seat (is that the right term?) my GPU in case I screwed something up. However, I'm pretty sure it's either a cpu issue or a gpu defect (probably the former)

35 minutes ago, tmakin said:

In task manager, System is taking up 1/3 of my cpu. However, the only thing registering significant cpu usage in details is System Idle Process. I think it's my cpu not gpu because I got 5878 in superposition today. Though that's a little low for a 1080 ti, my crappy processor is what i think is holding me back. I've reinstalled drivers several times using DDU, but this has only temporarily improved performance. It seems different boot to boot. I'm gonna re-seat (is that the right term?) my GPU in case I screwed something up. However, I'm pretty sure it's either a cpu issue or a gpu defect (probably the former)

System idle process is basically showing how much of your CPU is currently idle. Sitting with a few programs open system idle process is between 75% and 85% with the hundred or so actual processes using between 25% and 15% until i launch something intensive.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Idle_Process

System uses between .5% and 1.5% sitting idle for me.

If your System is using 33% CPU, what specifically is it running? It sounds like it could be some Windows service or something in the background or a piece of malware using up your CPU resources.

If System Idle Process is 33% then that means your CPU is actually 67% used, and you should figure out whats using 67% of your CPU when its idle. Have you checked for malware? And if so what did you use?

I dont use DDU since the Nvidia driver installer has a clean install option. Maybe some of the programs you downloaded contained malware or otherwise damaged your driver install.

I would just get the latest driver from nvidia's site directly, clean install and configure it manually. It works way better than GFE.

Id also run malware scans and do both SFC and DISM. I explain how in this thread:

On 11/28/2018 at 9:06 PM, Amazonsucks said:

System idle process is basically showing how much of your CPU is currently idle. Sitting with a few programs open system idle process is between 75% and 85% with the hundred or so actual processes using between 25% and 15% until i launch something intensive.

If your System is using 33% CPU, what specifically is it running? It sounds like it could be some Windows service or something in the background or a piece of malware using up your CPU resources.

If System Idle Process is 33% then that means your CPU is actually 67% used, and you should figure out whats using 67% of your CPU when its idle. Have you checked for malware? And if so what did you use?

I dont use DDU since the Nvidia driver installer has a clean install option. Maybe some of the programs you downloaded contained malware or otherwise damaged your driver install.

I would just get the latest driver from nvidia's site directly, clean install and configure it manually. It works way better than GFE.

Id also run malware scans and do both SFC and DISM. I explain how in this thread:

Every other boot I get different performance stats...sometimes cpu is maxed, sometimes Disk 1, sometimes both. Today was just Disk 1, so the CPU is alright. Still not great and it jumps a lot.2072693932_Annotation2018-12-01193159.jpg.f9b38a971af8f3458eeae4eb2da6a143.jpg

On 11/28/2018 at 9:06 PM, Amazonsucks said:

Oh also to prove how absolutely terrible my bottleneck is, here's my Ultra stats from Unigine Valley:

Avg. FPS: 58.6 FPS, Score: 2452, Min FPS: 8.7, Max FPS: 65.7.

I have a 1080 Ti. WTF.

1 hour ago, tmakin said:

Oh also to prove how absolutely terrible my bottleneck is, here's my Ultra stats from Unigine Valley:

Avg. FPS: 58.6 FPS, Score: 2452, Min FPS: 8.7, Max FPS: 65.7.

I have a 1080 Ti. WTF.

Did you run malwarebytes with rootkit on, DISM, SFC and do a clean install with the Nvidi install wizard?

You should really use Process Explorer(link and how to use in the thread i made) instead of task manager.

Windows 10 is what's wrong.

can't trust samsung's SSDs for boot but you should take the risk, partition it anyway and install windows 7 on it and the CHIPSET driver (just use the one provided with the board, it's very important) before the others

then you get rid of that optane thing, just sell it or whatever, because it isn't doing anything helpful, just hogging the mobo

and keep the T, it's not THAT bad

do that and the computer will soon be running properly.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

On 11/27/2018 at 6:49 PM, tmakin said:

MSI GAMING Z270 M3

EVGA SC GTX 1080 Ti

My take on all this: You really only have two issues here, and neither are CPU related. Lmao. The 7700-T performs incredibly similar to the 7700. The boost clock is only marginally lower, and it idles far lower than its regular sku brother. The T chip is very common in SFF builds because of its lower TDP, and as long as you're keeping it cool and have it boosting all the way. IMO, the 1080Ti is a difficult chip to utilize fully anyways.

The main issues here are all drive related. You have your OS on an optane boosted "old" HDD; but all your games on a pretty pricey SSD? You'll probably feel as if you have an entirely new system if you upgrade your boot medium to even a cheap 2.5" SSD or NVME drive.

The PSU is a cable management nightmare; being non-modular, but it isnt an "issue" per-sey. Ive only owned 1 modular PSU in my life and havent found them to be much more than a crutch for poor cable management in the age of PSU basements

TL;DR: Sort out your drives!

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I agree with booting from the SSD and i personally wouldnt bother boosting a HDD with optane at all, but if his issue is framerate in games, thats very unlikely to be drive related.

Im still quite sure something is using 67% of his CPU when its supposed to be idle according to what he said so far.

Ruling out what is using 2/3 of his CPU is the first step. It COULD be something to do with the optane configuration not being correct and some windows process using it but without the more verbose info from Process Explorer its hard to know. The task manager screenshot doesnt say what is using it really.

On 12/2/2018 at 1:29 AM, Amazonsucks said:

I agree with booting from the SSD and i personally wouldnt bother boosting a HDD with optane at all, but if his issue is framerate in games, thats very unlikely to be drive related.

Im still quite sure something is using 67% of his CPU when its supposed to be idle according to what he said so far.

Ruling out what is using 2/3 of his CPU is the first step. It COULD be something to do with the optane configuration not being correct and some windows process using it but without the more verbose info from Process Explorer its hard to know. The task manager screenshot doesnt say what is using it really.

On 12/1/2018 at 11:06 PM, SenpaiKaplan said:

My take on all this: You really only have two issues here, and neither are CPU related. Lmao. The 7700-T performs incredibly similar to the 7700. The boost clock is only marginally lower, and it idles far lower than its regular sku brother. The T chip is very common in SFF builds because of its lower TDP, and as long as you're keeping it cool and have it boosting all the way. IMO, the 1080Ti is a difficult chip to utilize fully anyways.

The main issues here are all drive related. You have your OS on an optane boosted "old" HDD; but all your games on a pretty pricey SSD? You'll probably feel as if you have an entirely new system if you upgrade your boot medium to even a cheap 2.5" SSD or NVME drive.

The PSU is a cable management nightmare; being non-modular, but it isnt an "issue" per-sey. Ive only owned 1 modular PSU in my life and havent found them to be much more than a crutch for poor cable management in the age of PSU basements

TL;DR: Sort out your drives!

I'm gonna swap my OS to my Samsung drive and shove some important games and programs onto the optane-boosted hdd. I have to do it from a boot drive or another pc right? I can't just do it while my pc is online?

16 minutes ago, tmakin said:

I'm gonna swap my OS to my Samsung drive and shove some important games and programs onto the optane-boosted hdd. I have to do it from a boot drive or another pc right? I can't just do it while my pc is online?

If I were you, I would just copy and paste your games onto the HDD, and reinstall Windows completely. If you have a flash drive, just install Windows as you were setting up a brand new rig. Put ONLY Windows on the SSD, if possible.

Reinstalling Windows will not only be a fresh start, but it will get rid of any malware you may have gotten unbeknownst to you.