What Linux? Please help me pick a distro.

I want to create a build environment to build openwrt.

I used debian a lot about 12 years ago but haven't touched linux since.

I just want a lightweight distro that will support all the build tools.

Don't need gui.

Will be running in vmplayer on windows.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Get Arch Linux. No GUI installed by default. On Ubuntu, you need to go through the pain of removing or disabling your x server and desktop envuorment if you just want command line interface.

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I installed Debian. 

For some reason I had got it in my head that it was going to be a huge download and I didn't want that.

Network iso was only 291mb and installed minimal environment in a couple of minutes.

Added sudo and now im up and running.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

11 hours ago, wasab said:

On Ubuntu, you need to go through the pain of removing or disabling your x server and desktop envuorment if you just want command line interface.

Or, you can use ubuntu server and avoid all that

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

12 hours ago, wasab said:

Get Arch Linux. No GUI installed by default. On Ubuntu, you need to go through the pain of removing or disabling your x server and desktop envuorment if you just want command line interface.

Installing Arch is a bit of a pain though.

You can use Antegros which is basically Arch with a GUI installer or Manjaro which is more fully fletched and comes with some helpful applications and it uses their own package repository.

For developing C++ applications I found both very useful because they're rolling releases with updated compiler versions and a lot of C++ libraries available in the package repository.

Desktop: Intel i9-10850K (R9 3900X died 😢 )| MSI Z490 Tomahawk | RTX 2080 (borrowed from work) - MSI GTX 1080 | 64GB 3600MHz CL16 memory | Corsair H100i (NF-F12 fans) | Samsung 970 EVO 512GB | Intel 665p 2TB | Samsung 830 256GB| 3TB HDD | Corsair 450D | Corsair RM550x | MG279Q

Laptop: Surface Pro 7 (i5, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD)

Console: PlayStation 4 Pro

On 11/28/2018 at 7:54 AM, mathijs727 said:

Installing Arch is a bit of a pain though.

You can use Antegros which is basically Arch with a GUI installer or Manjaro which is more fully fletched and comes with some helpful applications and it uses their own package repository.

For developing C++ applications I found both very useful because they're rolling releases with updated compiler versions and a lot of C++ libraries available in the package repository.

I agree. Arch is fine, but not a newbie distro at all. Manjaro and Antergos are a bit easier for some to get into if they want Arch, 

For the screen is blue and full of errors.