Change keyboard switches ?

Hi Guys Hope your well :)

Hi , I have recently come across the tecknet blue switch mechanical keyboard and I was wondering if you can change the switches from mx blue to red . Is this possible ? Thanks 

image.jpg

Yes, but it will require you to take apart the keyboard, desolder the Blue switches and solder in the Red switches (Which you will have to get separately, that would cost 40 USD or so I guesstimate).

Unless of course this is one of those rare keyboards with simple to remove keyswitches, which it doesn't look like it.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I watched a video and the keys look the exact same and he didn’t solder as the led are on the Bottom plate rather than the key switch itself . So I’m not sure hopefully someone comes along to give me an answer but thanks for the comment 

The switches on nearly all mechanical keyboard are soldered. In the cases they aren't, they are either not actual mechanical switches, or it's a marketing point that they're hot swappable. 

On most mechanical keyboards, you'll find something like this. 

Spoiler

IMG_20181005_151325.thumb.jpg.888eff1d4b03e4bfcb79d9236cf9dbcf.jpg

Having SMD LEDs just means you don't have to desolder the LEDs in addition to the switches themselves. Meaning desoldering two pins instead of four. 

:)

So would you say my keyboard is soldered ? It is the Technek Mechanical blue switch keyboard on amazon if you would kindly check it out . I asked  a question on the amazon q and a for this keyboard about changing the blue switches for red and a guy put yes you can . But he may be talking about the soldering job or maybe you can actually pop them out , not really sure atm .

2 hours ago, geo3 said:

If you have SMD leds then you can just open the switch and replace the stem.

i think you should do a guide on that too lol

?

Just now, geo3 said:

Basically the same procedure in my switch lubing guide. Just put a different stem in once you have it open.

lol I know hence my smart ass comment