Hard time deciding on a motherboard :(

sesipod

Hello everyone! 

I am upgrading my pc because of an issue with my motherboard and also the want to return to a larger case.

The current issue has been confirmed by Asus and EVGA. My motherboard ( ASUS ROG Strix Z270-i ) has built in Anti-Surge protection that is being triggered by the 1080 Ti FTW3 when plying anything over 1080. With the board that I have currently this feature can not be turned off in the BIOS. EVGA and I have already attempted 3 RMAS of my GPU and the issue still stands * time for a new Mboard.

Here is what I am looking to upgrade to....

I am having issue finding a motherboard that will not cause issues with my GPU.

I want to stay with Asus boards... I would like support for m.2 and at least 2 dims of ram or more. 

- Here are my current specs (being replaced) - 

CPU: Intel i7-7700K @ 4.20 GHz (OC 4.60GHZ) (BX80677I77700K).

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix Z270I.

CPU COOLER: Scythe SCBSK-2100 BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B

PSU: Corsair SF600 80 PLUS Gold certified

CASE: Fractal Design Case Cases FD-MCA-NODE-202-AA-US.

- Here are the parts list that I have found so far -

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

MOBO: Asus - PRIME Z390-A

CPU COOLER: Thermaltake - Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium 

PSU: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750 W 80+ Gold Certified 

CASE: Lian-Li - PC-O11DX

Here are the parts that I am not changing : 

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2133 MHz (16GB) (HX421C14FB/16). ( will be adding a second later )

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ( 11G-P4-6696-KR ).

M.2 SSD: Samsung 960 EVO Series - 500GB NVMe - M.2

SSD: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 120GB ( RAID 0 ).

get a gigabyte Z390 motherboard, as they are best value, and asus prime is terrible.

just skip to best VRMs where gigabyte sweeps.

The guy that I spoke with at EVGA recommend that I get an AORUS motherboard... Should I get one of those or ?

1 hour ago, sesipod said:

The guy that I spoke with at EVGA recommend that I get an AORUS motherboard... Should I get one of those or ?

oh yes. Thats literally what @Firewrath9 just recommended. The Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 is a great choice.

Also, consider some faster and newer ram. Doesn't have to be crazy fast but Linus himself tested and said that 2666mhz is the sweet spot for ram speeds for cpu's.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I was looking at getting the Z390 Aorus Ultra :o - Being that $500 on just a motherboard is a bit steep for my blood. Would the Ultra work as well ?
I will be running my GPU and maybe the 4K capture card form Elgato in the 3rd slot. 

I will have to wait on the upgrade for the Ram however at this point I just want to resolve the GPU issue then move on to getting 2 new sticks of ram. 

1 minute ago, sesipod said:

I was looking at getting the Z390 Aorus Ultra :o - Being that $500 on just a motherboard is a bit steep for my blood. Would the Ultra work as well ?
I will be running my GPU and maybe the 4K capture card form Elgato in the 3rd slot. 

I will have to wait on the upgrade for the Ram however at this point I just want to resolve the GPU issue then move on to getting 2 new sticks of ram. 

Hm? we recommended the Aorus Master, not the ultra.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

^^ 

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

Hm? we recommended the Aorus Master, not the ultra.

I understand ... Just asking if the Ultra would work? The Master is $500 and too costly for just a motherboard :o

1 minute ago, sesipod said:

^^ 

I understand ... Just asking if the Ultra would work? The Master is $500 and too costly for just a motherboard :o

frick. I'm reading too fast again. Though, what country are you in? Where I live the ultra and master are close to the same price.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

5 hours ago, Firewrath9 said:

get a gigabyte Z390 motherboard, as they are best value, and asus prime is terrible.

Asus Prime are not terrible. They are quite good for the market segment for which they are intended.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

1 minute ago, brob said:

Asus Prime are not terrible. They are quite good for the market segment for which they are intended.

Bitwit was saying he got good overclocks on the 9900k with a z390 prime-a board, so it can't be terrible.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

I have not gotten an new board in almost 2 years and a lot has changed.....

It seems that Amazon is not the best place to look up these boards ;/

USD $

So here is the link that I found for the Ultra ( $228.44 )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HRZKSX4/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here is the link for the Elite board ( $172.04 )

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Z390-AORUS-LGA1151-Motherboard/dp/B07HRWJ555

Here is the link for the Master board ( $498.96 )
https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Z390-AORUS-LGA1151-Motherboard/dp/B07HS4PQWK

Get a Z370 Extreme 4, you don't need much more than that , even if you overclock... unless you get the 9000 series.

11 hours ago, sesipod said:

The only real upgrade ( I can see ) over the Ultra vs Master is some ease of use buttons and a few extra features that will not really give me much joy :P

https://www.gigabyte.com/Comparison/Result/2?pids=6637,6640,6641

I think the major differences between the two are VRMs which is what you'll want to care about if you're overclocking - which with an i7-8700k I can only assume you are?

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

4 minutes ago, xandredu said:

which with an i7-8700k I can only assume you are

It depends really I will probably oc my GPU before my CPU...

The i7-8700K has a better core speed and has more cores than the i7-7700K so just the upgrade to that chip I think would be enough.

8 minutes ago, sesipod said:

It depends really I will probably oc my GPU before my CPU and even if I did oc the cpu.

The i7-8700K has a better core speed and has more cores than the i7-7700K so just the upgrade to that chip I think would be enough.

All I'm saying is think long-term. Do you want this build to be viable for a few years without any major changes and also do you think you'll overclock during that time? If so then think about investing more now into a board that's more capable of doing solid overclocking with decent temps and good voltage control even if you're not planning to overclock soon. Just an opinion, personally I don't have much background knowledge in how well those boards perform specifically except that I've heard good things about the Aorus Master. In the end do what makes you happy.

Ryzen build -  CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum RGB | GPU: RTX 2070 FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750W | Motherboard: MSI X570 MEG Ace | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic

Intel build - CPU: i5-9600k @ 4.9 GHz - 1.28v Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 rev 2 | GPU: GTX 980 Ti FE | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeace LPX DDR4-3200MHz | PSU: Corsair RM650x  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB - Western Digital Blue 1TB 5400RPM | Case: NZXT H700 Black

Laptop - HP Pavillion; CPU: Core i5-7200U RAM: 8GB DDR4-2133MHz | GPU: Intel HD 620 | Storage: Samsung 128GB SSD - Western Digital 1TB HDD

18 hours ago, sesipod said:

I have not gotten an new board in almost 2 years and a lot has changed.....

It seems that Amazon is not the best place to look up these boards ;/

USD $

So here is the link that I found for the Ultra ( $228.44 )

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HRZKSX4/ref=crt_ewc_title_dp_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Here is the link for the Elite board ( $172.04 )

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Z390-AORUS-LGA1151-Motherboard/dp/B07HRWJ555

Here is the link for the Master board ( $498.96 )
https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Z390-AORUS-LGA1151-Motherboard/dp/B07HS4PQWK

id get the elite, best value imo.