CPU/MOBO questions. R7 2700x

Howdy,

I currently have a B350 Gaming Plus from MSI with an R5 1600X with a manual OC. I recently picked up a R7 2700X on black friday, 349.99 CAD, woop woop! and while I know that it will technically work with my current mobo, I feel like through the small amount of research I've done that I won't be able to take full advantage of XFR 2.0 (I do not intend on manually OCing this chip as what I've seen XFR will be more beneficial for what I do and requires 0 work). Is this the case? If so, I imagine everyone will say X470 is the way to go to help future proof (hate that term) through at least 2020, but would I be fine with an X370? Budget reasons.

Anyways, anything people can add would be appreciated. I'll continue to poke around and see what's what. Hoping to catch a cyber monday sale if I NEED to upgrade.

You're not really missing out on XFR 2.0, especially because it wouldn't exactly be boosting you above a mild manual overclock, so if you wanted to get that slight performance boost, just try to get 300 MHz more clock speed.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

It isn't the cheapest board, but I would recommend getting an ASUS ROG Strix X470 board.  The high-end ASUS boards have something called Performance Enhancer and Levels 3 and 4 of that are a quasi PBO/XFR overclock.  What I mean is that it takes PBO/XFR speeds for all core workloads and increases the clock speed about 100MHz  (depending on your boot up temp) and then holds that speed throughout the duration of that workload. 

So normal PBO/XFR will usually hit around 4GHz with good cooling, but it will eventually lose speed as the CPU continues to work.  The ASUS boards with Performance Enhancer Levels 3 and 4 ignore/override those FIT parameters the CPU would normally try to maintain so that it won't reduce in speed.  It's technically an overclock, but it isn't an overclock that limits you to simply one speed.  Your CPU will still reach all its power states and still hit the peak 4.35GHz single core speed.  The PE Levels 3 and 4 also help you hit that peak speed more frequently.  

So if you truly want to make full use of PBO/XFR I'd go with the ASUS ROG Strix or if you wanna spend more then go with the Crosshair VII.  Other X470 boards have PBO adjustments like a scalar that will attempt to make the CPU hold boost longer, but those will quickly begin to downclock as the CPU does work.

Edit:

I believe the ASUS Strix B450 has the same levels as the X470, but I haven't quite confirmed it yet.  Speaking with someone else in another forum about it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

If your picking a new mobo, you can also consider B450, the Gaming K4 is a very capable one.