Stock market PC

lior1111
Go to solution Solved by Taf the Ghost,
1 hour ago, lior1111 said:

Hello , my friends come to me for alot of pc advices , but this time im a bit stuck. 
This friend asks me - how strong of a pc do I need to buy in order to use the following software fluently 

1) Interactive Brokers 
2) Stock to Trade 

He also needs to plug 3 monitors in to the pc.

He told me one of his friends is recommending a really strong GPU for those. 
The pc store he went to were giving him a build recommendation with a gtx 1060 and an i7-8700 

Any stock market people willing to help? 
Thank you!

The primary issue when it comes to traders is ALWAYS this: What Monitors are you running?

Everything after that question is easy. Nearly all trading clients will run just fine on a 4 year old mobile phone. There's a few automated things people do that need some heavy server setups, but if you're involved in that, you aren't asking questions here.

The general suggestion starts with an AMD RX 570. Most models will handle 5 monitors without much issue, though there can be some wiring differences that really mean a model can run 4 monitors. That's if you're staying at 1080p/1440p.

If they want to run a lot of 4K monitors, then you're talking either a Quadro P2000 or a Radeon Ro WX 5100 to start with. In theory you should be able to run 4 x 4K on either a good 1060 or any RX 570, but theory and practice can run into a lot of driver headaches. Both companies may have ironed out those details lately, but I haven't looked at it in a bit. It was a problem for a while. Or you can run 3x 4K off a single card and add another card if you want another 3x 4K monitors. (There is also some workstation cards can can do 6 or 8 monitors, if you want to stick with single cards.)

Could also run a i3-8100 build as well. Functionally the same. You don't need any CPU horsepower for a trading system, unless you have a very specific use case. Otherwise, you just want to keep the noise & heat down. Thus the fairly quiet case.

Hello , my friends come to me for alot of pc advices , but this time im a bit stuck. 
This friend asks me - how strong of a pc do I need to buy in order to use the following software fluently 

1) Interactive Brokers 
2) Stock to Trade 

The pc store he went to were giving him a build recommendation with a gtx 1060 and an i7-8700 

Thank you!

3d graphics aren't required for stock trading

i'd go with a gtx 1050 ONLY because its one of their lowest end products that supports 3 monitors. Even though a 1030 could do it quite easily if it supported 3 monitors.

Basically you don't need any special hardware to trade stocks. Which is why computers from the 1980's and 90s were able to do it just fine

Basically anything will run stock trading software. Get a Zen 2 based system and a 1050, 1060 if you want.

it's time

1 hour ago, lior1111 said:

1) Interactive Brokers 
2) Stock to Trade 

Thank you!

The primary issue when it comes to traders is ALWAYS this: What Monitors are you running?

Everything after that question is easy. Nearly all trading clients will run just fine on a 4 year old mobile phone. There's a few automated things people do that need some heavy server setups, but if you're involved in that, you aren't asking questions here.

The general suggestion starts with an AMD RX 570. Most models will handle 5 monitors without much issue, though there can be some wiring differences that really mean a model can run 4 monitors. That's if you're staying at 1080p/1440p.

If they want to run a lot of 4K monitors, then you're talking either a Quadro P2000 or a Radeon Ro WX 5100 to start with. In theory you should be able to run 4 x 4K on either a good 1060 or any RX 570, but theory and practice can run into a lot of driver headaches. Both companies may have ironed out those details lately, but I haven't looked at it in a bit. It was a problem for a while. Or you can run 3x 4K off a single card and add another card if you want another 3x 4K monitors. (There is also some workstation cards can can do 6 or 8 monitors, if you want to stick with single cards.)

Could also run a i3-8100 build as well. Functionally the same. You don't need any CPU horsepower for a trading system, unless you have a very specific use case. Otherwise, you just want to keep the noise & heat down. Thus the fairly quiet case.

4 hours ago, emosun said:

3d graphics aren't required for stock trading

i'd go with a gtx 1050 ONLY because its one of their lowest end products that supports 3 monitors. Even though a 1030 could do it quite easily if it supported 3 monitors.

Basically you don't need any special hardware to trade stocks. Which is why computers from the 1980's and 90s were able to do it just fine

Thank you!

4 hours ago, RollTime said:

Basically anything will run stock trading software. Get a Zen 2 based system and a 1050, 1060 if you want.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Thank you so much for the detailed info ! ill make sure to tell my friend all about it.

3 minutes ago, lior1111 said:

Thank you!

Thank you!

Thank you so much for the detailed info ! ill make sure to tell my friend all about it.

Know a guy that got into trader. He realized I could answer tech questions. It's a deep rabbit hole for Traders and their Monitors.

You might also think about an i5-8400 system as well. On the off chance they think they need "more", they'd have 6 real cores and you could say that's a lot. I'd personally build a Ryzen 5 2600 system for it, just so you can run whatever other programs and have a platform for later. But a 2200G is more than enough. Unless they're running something funky, but that shouldn't be happening if they're asking you for help.

• 1 month later...

I am in finance so I think I could help you out. In fact, I signed up here today so I could learn about building PC's and build my ultimate trading PC.  Trading is nothing like gaming, the focus is not so much on graphics but on dependability and safeguards. Much more then 4k monitors, you NEED a computer that will not quit on you in the middle of a trade. Imagine this, you put in a trade to buy yourself 100 barrels of oil with the intention of clearing out of the position by the end of the day, and the power goes out in your area.  You now are the proud owner of 100 barrels of crude that you wanted to clear out of. Exact same thing will happen if the internet happens to go down in your area. This means you need things like a backup battery which will run your system should the power go out as well as a sim card to give you back up internet access. To be honest, if your friend only wants to run 3 1080 monitors he might be best off with a decent laptop with a sim card and a docking station.