Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

SODIMM To DIMM Converter Documentation - Favalava

So I ordered an 8gb stick of DDR4 for my rig and Newegg dun goofed. 
I'm now the owner of 32GB (16x2) of SODIMM 2400. I check the new ram kit and it goes for $230 after the holiday sales. 
I decided to hold onto it and give the old Linus Video a test.

In the video, he doesn't run any gaming or productivity benchmarks so I've decided to follow through and make some posts here about my process and results. 
I just ordered my converters from ebay, at around half the price of when linus made the video. They should be here by the 4th and I'll give you guys an update by then. 

I've been looking hardcore around the internet for some more information on this subject and other youtubers who've done it, but it's tough. 
There's not a lot of information here and what is available is from smaller channels which don't have the workflow or resources to deliver promising, overwhelmingly credible results. 

So yea. TLDR, I spent $45 on 8GB DIMM and got 32GB SODIMM valued at $280 normally... 
Wish me luck yall, you know I'm about the CCmaker and 1080ti footage and would love to handle 4k editing once I have 32GB of ramm. 

You could try selling the SODIMMs or trading them for normal ones, I'd try that first :) 

Dutch Talk Thread

Unofficial LMG Social Media Accounts Website

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-4790K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 U3+ RAM: 4x4 GB DDR3 1600MHz GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Ti 8G Case: Corsair 230T Windowed Orange SSD: Crucial BX100 250 Gb PSU: Cooler Master G450M HDD: WD 1 TB Generic

Laptops: Macbook Air 2012 11" baseline (i5-3317U @ 1.7 Ghz) upgraded with a Samsung 850 evo 250 GB SSD

HP Zbook Studio G5 (i7-8750H, 32 GB DDR4 2666MHz, Samsung PM981 512 GB, 970 EVO 1TB, Nvidia Quadro P1000)

I came across some 2x8 GB SODIMM DDR4 rated at 2133 and was in need of upgrading from my previous 2x4 GB. Based on the video quoted above I order some cheap adapters off amazon and am quite impressed by the results. I was able to overclock my ram to 2400, and tighten the timings one notch better as well. The one thing I wish I was able to do is to get them to work with my normal desktop ram for the full 24 GB, but 16 is better than 8 so no worries.

I've had no issues regarding stability, although I haven't felt the need to run a stability checker overnight or anything.