Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about 2nd m.2 slot speed on ASUS PRIME X470-PRO

Hello there.

Like the title, do you know what speed to expect from the 2nd m.2 slot on the ASUS PRIME X470-PRO?

The manual says this https://i.imgur.com/AtkpCcK.jpg, but I don't know if the 2nd slot is a x2 mode of a Gen2 (10gbps) or Gen3 (16gbps) pcie. Since I'd like to put a 2nd high performance nvme in the 2nd slot, I'd like, at least, to know which speed to expect, so I can choose better what to buy.

Thanks in advance guys :)

8 minutes ago, Nandos said:

Hello there.

Like the title, do you know what speed to expect from the 2nd m.2 slot on the ASUS PRIME X470-PRO?

The manual says this https://i.imgur.com/AtkpCcK.jpg, but I don't know if the 2nd slot is a x2 mode of a Gen2 (10gbps) or Gen3 (16gbps) pcie. Since I'd like to put a 2nd high performance nvme in the 2nd slot, I'd like, at least, to know which speed to expect, so I can choose better what to buy.

Thanks in advance guys :)

I don't... think it'd matter. The fastest nvme drive only reads at 3 GB/s, where as both x2 and x4 have much higher throughput. 

EDIT: Eh, it seems that PCIE 3.0 has a bandwidth of ~1 GB/s per lane, so if it is indeed x2 then you MAY bottleneck your NVME drive, assuming you buy a really.... really nice one. 

15 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

I don't... think it'd matter. The fastest nvme drive only reads at 3 GB/s, where as both x2 and x4 have much higher throughput. 

EDIT: Eh, it seems that PCIE 3.0 has a bandwidth of ~1 GB/s per lane, so if it is indeed x2 then you MAY bottleneck your NVME drive, assuming you buy a really.... really nice one. 

Eh, that's why i'm asking, just to be sure to don't buy a nvme that will be bottlenecked from the slot. If someone know for sure what's the exact bandwidth of the 2nd m.2 slot, will be perfect :D

Just now, Nandos said:

Eh, that's why i'm asking, just to be sure to don't buy a nvme that will be bottlenecked from the slot. If someone know for sure what's the exact bandwidth of the 2nd m.2 slot, will be perfect :D

I mean, the manual says 3.0 x2. Which, according to specs I googled, would mean a bandwidth of ~2.0 GB/s.