Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

RTX 2080/FX 8320 bottleneck

Nowhere23
 Share

I plan on building a new machine with a Ryzen 7 2700x and an RTX 2080, but it will be a while before I can collect all the parts. I'm wondering if I can buy the 2080 first, put it in the machine I have right now, then upgrade the rest later. I'd be running it with an FX 8320 on a Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 motherboard. I mainly play Elite Dangerous and Destiny 2. I play Elite in VR, but would like it to look a lot better. I know it would bottleneck the hell out of the CPU, but would it work in the short term? Also, do I risk damaging anything? I plan to give the parts to a friend after I finish the build.

 

Hope I explained this well enough. thanks for any and all help.

 

EDIT: grammar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Nowhere23 said:

Also, do I risk damaging anything?

Literally and directly you would not be able to damage anything by having a running bottle-necked although you will damage your system figuratively because you would be not allowing one or more of your components to perform at their best, getting it to the point of being not bottle-necked at all would be extremely difficult although with some planning and consideration towards the parts of the build you can avoid one or more parts from being a severe bottle-neck.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

        @Boomwebsearch 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

Literally and directly you would not be able to damage anything by having a running bottle-necked although you will damage your system figuratively because you would be not allowing one or more of your components to perform at their best, getting it to the point of being not bottle-necked at all would be extremely difficult although with some planning and consideration towards the parts of the build you can avoid one or more parts from being a severe bottle-neck.

Thanks for the reply. It would be a very short term bottleneck, maybe a month at the most before I put the new motherboard and the Ryzen 7 in. Would I see better graphics even thought I'm holding the card back? I'm coming from a GTX 970.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer that you'd have to see what your CPU usage is at right now, as for all we know the GTX 970 is already bottlenecked.

If your CPU is not maxing out right now I'd expect to get "some" benefit, but how much its really hard to guess.

Router:  Quotom-Q555G6-S05 running pfSense WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (~940Mbit peak)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen VDSL (~74Mbit) + VOXI 4G [Vodafone] (~120Mbit) + Three 5G (~500Mbit average)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nowhere23 said:

Would I see better graphics even thought I'm holding the card back? I'm coming from a GTX 970.

What was your GTX 980 paired with in terms of computing specifications? We could figure out if the graphics would be better or worse depending on the performance of both configurations of hardware being compared and I agree with @Alex Atkin UK that it would not be easy to precisely say based on other process which could be taking up more processing power such as background tasks which one CPU (being your previous one) was able to handle better than the other one which you have currently.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

        @Boomwebsearch 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

To answer that you'd have to see what your CPU usage is at right now, as for all we know the GTX 970 is already bottlenecked.

If your CPU is not maxing out right now I'd expect to get "some" benefit, but how much its really hard to guess.

That's very helpful. I probably should have thought to do that. lol. Next time I'm in game I'll look at that.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Boomwebsearch said:

What was your GTX 980 paired with in terms of computing specifications? We could figure out if the graphics would be better or worse depending on the performance of both configurations of hardware being compared and I agree with @Alex Atkin UK that it would not be easy to precisely say based on other process which could be taking up more processing power such as background tasks which one CPU (being your previous one) was able to handle better than the other one which you have currently.

My 970 is paired with my FX 8320 and gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 motherboard. I built it kind of off the cuff a few years ago before I knew what to look for and what questions to ask, but its served me well. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say that since you're going to buy a new CPU anyway, who even cares if it's going to bottleneck? but to the important question, no, nothing can be damaged. However, given the age of your system, I hope you have a good power supply. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I'd say that since you're going to buy a new CPU anyway, who even cares if it's going to bottleneck? but to the important question, no, nothing can be damaged. However, given the age of your system, I hope you have a good power supply. 

I have an EVGA Supernova 750 right now. If I find it will work, I'll keep it, but I haven't even looked into power needs yet. I'm still in the planning stages.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Nowhere23 said:

My 970 is paired with my FX 8320 and gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 motherboard

How much RAM is to be in this build and how much was in the previous one, I am most likely going to let you know what the performance is comparatively based on overall benchmarks although if you would like certain ones such as rendering video then please let me know and I will try to include that in as well.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

        @Boomwebsearch 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Boomwebsearch said:

How much RAM is to be in this build and how much was in the previous one, I am most likely going to let you know what the performance is comparatively based on overall benchmarks although if you would like certain ones such as rendering video then please let me know and I will try to include that in as well.

16 gigs ddr3

 

EDIT: in the new build I'll start with 16 gigs DDR4

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

To answer that you'd have to see what your CPU usage is at right now, as for all we know the GTX 970 is already bottlenecked.

If your CPU is not maxing out right now I'd expect to get "some" benefit, but how much its really hard to guess.

I loaded up the game in VR and I was right around 50-60% CPU usage

 

EDIT: Thought I'll have to monitor it a little bit more when I'm actually playing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Most games should be pretty much idle until in-game, so yeah in-game results are essential.

 

Monitoring the GPU usage would also be useful with something like Afterburner.

Router:  Quotom-Q555G6-S05 running pfSense WiFi: Zyxel NWA210AX (~940Mbit peak)

Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, Netgear MS510TXPP, Netgear GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen VDSL (~74Mbit) + VOXI 4G [Vodafone] (~120Mbit) + Three 5G (~500Mbit average)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Most games should be pretty much idle until in-game, so yeah in-game results are essential.

 

Monitoring the GPU usage would also be useful with something like Afterburner.

I'll check that either tonight or tomorrow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE: I ended up getting all the parts at the same time. This should no longer be a problem.

 

Thank you guys for being so nice and helpful. I was prepared for a public shaming, seeing as this is the internet and all. I like it here. I think I'll stick around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Nowhere23 said:

I plan on building a new machine with a Ryzen 7 2700x and an RTX 2080, but it will be a while before I can collect all the parts. I'm wondering if I can buy the 2080 first, put it in the machine I have right now, then upgrade the rest later. I'd be running it with an FX 8320 on a Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 motherboard. I mainly play Elite Dangerous and Destiny 2. I play Elite in VR, but would like it to look a lot better. I know it would bottleneck the hell out of the CPU, but would it work in the short term? Also, do I risk damaging anything? I plan to give the parts to a friend after I finish the build.

 

Hope I explained this well enough. thanks for any and all help.

 

EDIT: grammar

There is no danger of damaging any component, just that your video card will not be 100% and you will not get all the fps that you should in the games, just that, do not worry about that, mount your video card and play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Nowhere23 said:

I plan on building a new machine with a Ryzen 7 2700x and an RTX 2080, but it will be a while before I can collect all the parts. I'm wondering if I can buy the 2080 first, put it in the machine I have right now, then upgrade the rest later. I'd be running it with an FX 8320 on a Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 motherboard. I mainly play Elite Dangerous and Destiny 2. I play Elite in VR, but would like it to look a lot better. I know it would bottleneck the hell out of the CPU, but would it work in the short term? Also, do I risk damaging anything? I plan to give the parts to a friend after I finish the build.

 

Hope I explained this well enough. thanks for any and all help.

 

EDIT: grammar

I mean you could... it would be a horrible, horrible experience. Like you would stutter so hard you're probabluybetter off continuing to use your current GPU.


Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×