Your opinion on ASUS VivoBook Ryzen 5 2500u edition (F505ZA-DH51) ??

Go to solution Solved by Guest,

The AMD version is a different model. Like you linked.

For the Intel one, on the amazon site, you can choose between SSD+HDD and just HDD.

I'd recommend the AMD one, as it has better graphics chip.(It's only $50 more from newegg)

The Newegg site is confusing though, the title says dual-core(description says quad), but AMD site says quad-core. But I think it's a quad-core like AMD site says, and whoever wrote the title just got it wrong.

Anyways, the AMD is faster for gaming and editing. I'd pick that one as it's quite cheap too.

Hello guys, I see the Asus VivoBook F510UA get regularly recommended in different forums in 500-599$ price range.But I can't see the AMD version of it recommended or discussed anywhere. I can't even find any reviews online. As I see the main different is the CPU (i5 8250u vs Ryzen 5 2500u) which performs roughly equivalently as I read multiple reviews. And the AMD laptop has 256 GB SSD instead of 1 TB HDD of the Intel one. The other specifications (even the design) seems pretty equal.

Shouldn't it be a good buy? Or am I missing something?? Pls give your opinion as I plan to buy it today on cyber Monday (a few hours left)

P.S. There are also some major confusions. The title in the Asus page says it has 1TB SSHD, but the specs below (and newegg page) shows 256 GB SSD !!
Also the newegg page title shows the processor is dual-core. But the specs below shows quad-core. Also R5 2500u is quad-core as I see online.
It's all getting so confusing. Pls help me with the right information and opinion.
Thanks.

For the Intel one, on the amazon site, you can choose between SSD+HDD and just HDD.

I'd recommend the AMD one, as it has better graphics chip.(It's only $50 more from newegg)

The Newegg site is confusing though, the title says dual-core(description says quad), but AMD site says quad-core. But I think it's a quad-core like AMD site says, and whoever wrote the title just got it wrong.

Anyways, the AMD is faster for gaming and editing. I'd pick that one as it's quite cheap too.

28 minutes ago, timl132 said:

Thanks for your reply. Not only is the Newegg site misleading, so is the official Asus site (1 TB SSHD on title, 256 GB SSD on description).
That along with complete lack of review and discussion on it by pro reviewers or common people made me very skeptic.
So I'm not missing out on something right? They're equivalent and the AMD one seems to be just going under the radar?

5 hours ago, Driimit said:

snip

Mediocre model

Are you buying in US? Usage? Any preference on weight, display size and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

23 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Mediocre model

Are you buying in US? Usage? Any preference on weight, display size and battery life?

Why? Is there anything better under 550$?
Buying from USA. Should be light-weight as those two. Display size at least 15.6", battery life no specific preference, but obviously the more the better. Budget is 500-550$.

2 hours ago, Driimit said:

Is there anything better under 550$?

Intel choices with better build quality and battery life, but heavier/has smaller display and no dGPU:

1. Acer Swift 3 14 SF314-54-53BQ ($530 in Newegg)

2. Acer Aspire 5 15 A515-51-5398 with SSD upgrade (over budget) ($530 in Acer Store)

Ryzen choices with better build quality, but heavier:

1. HP Envy x360 15-cp0013nr - slightly over budget, only 128GB SSD (can add HDD), decent battery life for a Ryzen laptop

2. Lenovo Thinkpad E485/E585 with R5-2500U, 4+4GB RAM and FHD IPS display, need SSD upgrade

3. HP Pavilion 15z with R5-2500U and FHD IPS touch enabled, need SSD upgrade (over budget) ($550 in HP store)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

2 hours ago, Driimit said:

Why?

Mediocre overall build quality, OKish input devices, short battery life

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 11/27/2018 at 12:45 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

Intel choices with better build quality and battery life, but heavier/has smaller display and no dGPU:

1. Acer Swift 3 14 SF314-54-53BQ ($530 in Newegg)

2. Acer Aspire 5 15 A515-51-5398 with SSD upgrade (over budget) ($530 in Acer Store)

Ryzen choices with better build quality, but heavier:

1. HP Envy x360 15-cp0013nr - slightly over budget, only 128GB SSD (can add HDD), decent battery life for a Ryzen laptop

2. Lenovo Thinkpad E485/E585 with R5-2500U, 4+4GB RAM and FHD IPS display, need SSD upgrade

3. HP Pavilion 15z with R5-2500U and FHD IPS touch enabled, need SSD upgrade (over budget) ($550 in HP store)

Smaller display wasn't a possibility as getting a larger display was the main reason behind buying a new laptop for my friend. Also being light weight was an important issue. Bought the Intel Asus VivoBook F510UA as the AMD version went out of stock in Newegg a few hours before buying. Thanks for your suggestions anyway.