Need help understanding msi rebate system

Go to solution Solved by Philostic,
1 minute ago, ThatBlockishWay said:

I havent bought it yet, I was gonna sort the rebate thing before I did. So say I buy it during the sale, it comes in the mail, then I get the serial: do you think the rebate would still be good since I purchased it during the time of the rebate? I'll check some of my other purchases to see if newegg lists the serial number just in case, if thats the case thatd clear up alot of this confusion...

The mail in rebate will last though the sale. The name implies that you get it in the mail (even if it's online, that's just how they used to work), they're not going to put a time limit on it.

So there's a cyber Monday sale on this:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834155024&ignorebbr=1

And it says there's also a mail in rebate. When I go to do the rebate thing (Ive never done a rebate) it asks for a serial number.. How do I get this? Do I buy it and itll be in the purchase info or do I need to wait for it to arrive? And if its wait to arrive can I still do the rebate since it'll end before it gets to me? Rebates are confusing...

Typically, you send off the rebate after you get your item, as the rebate comes with your item. I don't see how you could have the rebate without buying the product? Could you possibly look at your receipts and see if it lists your product's serial number?

The rebate will still work after Newegg's sale ends.

The build I'm currently working on, a mid-range budget mATX:

PCPartPicker part list

Type Item Price
CPU Intel - Core i5-8600K 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor $239.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler be quiet! - SHADOW ROCK TF 2 CPU Cooler $51.99 @ SuperBiiz
Motherboard MSI - B360M MORTAR TITANIUM Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $69.63 @ B&H
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $124.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial - MX500 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $74.89 @ OutletPC
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $58.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card $425.00 @ B&H
Case Corsair - Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total (before mail-in rebates) $1205.36
  Mail-in rebates -$80.00
  Total $1125.36
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-26 13:10 EST-0500

6 minutes ago, Philostic said:

Typically, you send off the rebate after you get your item, as the rebate comes with your item. I don't see how you could have the rebate without buying the product? Could you possibly look at your receipts and see if it lists your product's serial number?

The rebate will still work after Newegg's sale ends.

I havent bought it yet, I was gonna sort the rebate thing before I did. So say I buy it during the sale, it comes in the mail, then I get the serial: do you think the rebate would still be good since I purchased it during the time of the rebate? I'll check some of my other purchases to see if newegg lists the serial number just in case, if thats the case thatd clear up alot of this confusion...

Edit: Nah all it gives is the order number...

1 minute ago, ThatBlockishWay said:

The mail in rebate will last though the sale. The name implies that you get it in the mail (even if it's online, that's just how they used to work), they're not going to put a time limit on it.

PCPartPicker part list

Type Item Price
Motherboard MSI - B360M MORTAR TITANIUM Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $69.63 @ B&H
Memory Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $124.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $58.89 @ OutletPC
Video Card EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8 GB SC GAMING ACX 3.0 Black Edition Video Card $425.00 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
  Mail-in rebates -$80.00
  Total $1125.36

1 minute ago, Philostic said:

Okay, I think Im pickin up what youre layin down but just for clarity as long as Ive bought it during the rebate time Im fine?

Just now, ThatBlockishWay said:

Okay, I think Im pickin up what youre layin down but just for clarity as long as Ive bought it during the rebate time Im fine?

The rebate is most likely provided by the manufacturer, so it'll still be there even when the product goes off sale on newegg. You're fine.

PCPartPicker part list

Type Item Price
  Mail-in rebates -$80.00
  Total $1125.36