ZEN2 will have Double the L3!

Nicnac

Someone speculated in that Epyc Rome had a copy of L3 cache for each die on the IO die to get lower latency when a core needs data from another chiplets cache. 1 jump instead of 2.

This isn't that right?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

image.png.46c3c1dbf085506671dd947ac1187561.png

What does 800 MHz IMC mean (Internal memory controller?). How does this affect IPC?

How much can we realistically expected the clockspeeds to increase from this 1.4 GHz engineering sample (I assume this is base clock, but who knows really)?

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

6 hours ago, Rauten said:

Holy crap, that CPU has more L3 cache than my 386 had HDD size.

Heheh reminds me when in some interview Richard Garriott (creator of the Ultima series of games) years ago pointed out that Ultima II could completely fit into a "modern CPU's" L2 Cache.

1 hour ago, vinyldash303 said:

Not to mention @Trixanity pulling the heatsink off sometimes yanks the proc out with it. That's never a good time.

Had that happen the first time I took a Ryzen CPU out. It's just a much worse experience than LGA.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

5 hours ago, dizmo said:

I hate PGA chips. Harder to get out of the socket, greater chance of damage when inserting it into the socket.

It's a small gripe, but when one has one and the other doesn't and performance is similar, it's one of the things that will make me sway the other way.

I’ve repasted hundreds of pga chips, never had a problem that was a perminant annoyance. Well except that pentium 90 I dropped.

4 hours ago, Mihle said:

Someone speculated in that Epyc Rome had a copy of L3 cache for each die on the IO die to get lower latency when a core needs data from another chiplets cache. 1 jump instead of 2.

This isn't that right?

Yes, I believe it was AdoredTV who predicted that. He's been pretty good at predicting Zen 2 leaks as of so far...

from 20:38 to 21:26

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

2 hours ago, derr12 said:

I’ve repasted hundreds of pga chips, never had a problem that was a perminant annoyance. Well except that pentium 90 I dropped.

Good job?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Guess I'll keep saving my money

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

10 hours ago, Techstorm970 said:

That's pretty rad.  Didn't know they had released a 10nm CPU already.  The efficiency boost alone will be huge.  I guess they are still innovating; hell, the increase in efficiency from Kaby Lake to Coffee Lake was pretty impressive given that they both have the 14nm process.

If this is the only reason they're struggling with 10nm, then Imma be SUPER pissed!

Having said that, no wonder NVIDIA and AMD are skipping over 10nm with GPUs!  No wonder Intel stole Raja!  10nm must be an engineering nightmare for graphics processing.  Would certainly explain a lot...

Intels issue isn;t the performance of their 10nm, it';'s being able to produce usable size dies at usable yield rates that is giving them fits.

8 hours ago, Nicnac said:

My guess would be no. They are increasing the L3 mainly for the extremely large core count cpus because that's where the infinity fabric is running into latency issues. A positive side effect is that higher L3 gives an overall better IPC as well.

This might trickle down to Threadripper where the 32core model (2990WX I believe) is already stressing infinity fabric more than they'd like.

The standard consumer Ryzen might see an upgrade in L3 cache as well but certainly not as big.

Then again, I'm only making assumptions here from what I've read so far but it seems to be the most logical scenario for me. 

Whilst i tend to agree we probably won't see so much cache on the desktop, i'd be cautious of assuming that the cache has anything to do with latency. The theoretical physical limit on latency is more than low enough that they could have just made the interconnects low latency enough. And based on AMD's own statements about any single CPU being able to access the full bandwidth of all the memory channels added together they're clearly overcome the data transmission issues that Zen1 and Zen+ clearly had.

Also for everyone else, anytime you see anything about Zen2 prior to official announcement, it will be based on pre-production silicon. And pre-production silicon allways has issues. AdoredTV has indicated that for Zen 2 the A series silicon is full of issues that is forcing AMD to turn a whole host of things off and downclock everything else quite heavily. This is nothing unusual either, this kind of thing is quite normal. But it does mean what where seeing isn't even the final form. For all we know the L3 caches may have significant sections disabled. I doubt it personally, doublign the cache sounds generous enough but there's no reason they couldn't have doubled it again but had to disable a big chunk of it due to flaws.

2 hours ago, dizmo said:

Good job?

The good old days of "Twist then lift" has been lost due to LGA. Wasn't a big problem as long as you remembered to break the seal on the paste between the IHS and heatsink, easy enough to forget when you've been dealing with LGA for the last 10+ years.

7 hours ago, CarlBar said:

i'd be cautious of assuming that the cache has anything to do with latency

It wouldn't unless there is a cache miss, but that's different than more cache reducing cache latency.

And based on AMD's own statements about any single CPU being able to access the full bandwidth of all the memory channels added together they're clearly overcome the data transmission issues that Zen1 and Zen+ clearly had.

That's all down to moving all the IMC controllers in to the I/O die instead of each die having a dual channel controller each and having to go through the IF to get non local memory pages. It's actually a very good design move, really obvious once you've seen it but the trick is to actually come up with it ?.

But it does mean what where seeing isn't even the final form

This calls for a good meme ?

final-form-trash-can.jpg

28 minutes ago, leadeater said:

It wouldn't unless there is a cache miss, but that's different than more cache reducing cache latency.

That's all down to moving all the IMC controllers in to the I/O die instead of each die having a dual channel controller each and having to go through the IF to get non local memory pages. It's actually a very good design move, really obvious once you've seen it but the trick it to actually come up with it ?.

Yes, but as there is no connection between the chiplets itself exept to the IO die, it means communication between two chiplets have to do 2 jumps instead of 1. (Unless they do the copy of cache on IO die thing)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

12 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Yes, but as there is no connection between the chiplets itself exept to the IO die, it means communication between two chiplets have to do 2 jumps instead of 1. (Unless they do the copy of cache on IO die thing)

Correct but it does mean every core has equal access to all ram channels and memory pages which is better, well hopefully better more of them time and worse less of the time. Inter thread communication can often be done through system memory anyway so in those cases there isn't an extra hop than would be necessary.

Going to be a very interesting review cycle when EPYC 2 comes out.

6 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Going to be a very interesting review cycle when EPYC 2 comes out.

How many reviewers can even get their hands on something like Epyc?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

2 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

How many reviewers can even get their hands on something like Epyc?

ServeTheHome will have multiple different models of them, it's the main area they cover. https://www.servethehome.com/

Then Aandtech and Tom's Hardware (pro side) will have the top end SKUs as well. There will be more than that but enough to get information to talk about.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

ServeTheHome will have multiple different models of them, it's the main area they cover. https://www.servethehome.com/

Then Aandtech and Tom's Hardware (pro side) will have the top end SKUs as well. There will be more than that but enough to get information to talk about.

We don't talk about Tom's Hardware anymore...?

/s

15 hours ago, bcredeur97 said:

inb4 having so much cpu cache that you can use it as a type of "ramdisk"

and have speeds north of 1TB per second. because why not.

imagine being able to use GPU memory (HBM 2, 256 GB/s per package :D) as a ram disk over the PCIe 4.0 x16 bus :D

32 GB/s :D

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

ServeTheHome do benchmarking for software companies to see how well their software performs, that's why they have so many servers with the latest cpus :)

source:

Spoiler

For this exercise, we are using our legacy Linux-Bench scripts which help us see cross-platform “least common denominator” results we have been using for years as well as several results from our updated Linux-Bench2 scripts. At this point, our benchmarking sessions take days to run and we are generating well over a thousand data points. We are also running workloads for software companies that want to see how their software works on the latest hardware. As a result, this is a small sample of the data we are collecting and can share publicly. Our position is always that we are happy to provide some free data but we also have services to let companies run their own workloads in our lab, such as with our DemoEval service. What we do provide is an extremely controlled environment where we know every step is exactly the same and each run is done in a real-world data center, not a test bench.

We are going to show off a few results, and highlight a number of interesting data points in this article.

https://www.servethehome.com/intel-xeon-e-2136-benchmarks-and-review/2/

3 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

We don't talk about Tom's Hardware anymore...?

/s

Who's that? Never heard of them.

Spoiler

Tom's IT Pro is fortunately a different group of people so they are safe[er] than regular Tom's Hardware ?

image.png.62504fa97db0b38fc76233fc490bdfc4.png

Safe

image.png.1cf1c5ca75fa5e8af2b4ce50fe934e99.png

Not safe ?

Edited by leadeater

3 hours ago, mikat said:

ServeTheHome do benchmarking for software companies to see how well their software performs, that's why they have so many servers with the latest cpus :)

source:

Yep, it's one of my go to places for server hardware stuff. Since they do more than just product review their information is more in depth and/or covers areas of more interest and more applicable to the server industry rather than just runing CB and going "Wow look at those numbers", not they they don't also provide that lol. 

I wonder how much will latency be improved. Also this will be very good for some workloads. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

The good old days of "Twist then lift" has been lost due to LGA. Wasn't a big problem as long as you remembered to break the seal on the paste between the IHS and heatsink, easy enough to forget when you've been dealing with LGA for the last 10+ years.

The thought of twisting it always freaked me out ? I just see it as a smarter choice to have the pins in the motherboard. Significantly less chance of them interacting with something.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

The thought of twisting it always freaked me out ? I just see it as a smarter choice to have the pins in the motherboard. Significantly less chance of them interacting with something.

It's funny because way back then when LGA first became a thing I thought the opposite because CPU weren't that expensive and good motherboard were, now you can get decent motherboard for cheap and CPUs can be extremely expensive. I like the pins to be on the least expensive part ?

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

That's all down to moving all the IMC controllers in to the I/O die instead of each die having a dual channel controller each and having to go through the IF to get non local memory pages. It's actually a very good design move, really obvious once you've seen it but the trick it to actually come up with it ?.

This calls for a good meme ?

final-form-trash-can.jpg

lol.

What i meant with the bandwidth thing is that based on the fact that upping the memory clocks, (and this IF clocks), on ryzen had a major positive effect on performance it's obvious the transfer rate of data was a part of Zen1/Zen+ latency issues.Any single CPU being able to access the full memory bandwidth means an IF transfer capacity of over 1.6TB of transfer from the IO die to each core.Thats pretty massive and should completely eliminate any bottlenecking there.

47 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Any single CPU being able to access the full memory bandwidth means an IF transfer capacity of over 1.6TB of transfer from the IO die to each core.Thats pretty massive and should completely eliminate any bottlenecking there

I can't find the image but during the presentation I remember them showing the IF linked between the I/O die and chiplets as being 100GB/s which is just exactly enough. 8 channel memory at server RDIMM/LRDIMM spec tops out around that 100GB/s mark, EPYC1 peak best case was 98GB/s when bandwidth testing across the 4 dies stressing each IMC. Each channel on desktops do a bit more than servers because the DDR4 clocks much higher than what servers can use.

2015-09-16-image-4.jpg

Even on Intel IMCs theoretical maximum is roughly 120GB/s for 8 channels but you're unlikely to actually get it, more like 110 ish.