MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro 17.3" 2TB Gaming Laptop

Hi, friend is looking for gaming laptop and gave me a limit of £1500 around 2000 USD and is looking to buying it in UK where the product warranty is a zear or in a country with two year warranty, but that one is more expensive. So my question is 

about reliability of MSI GS73VR 7RG Stealth Pro 17.3" 2TB Gaming Laptop and if he should be worried about the shorter warranty.

Thanks for the answers.

Not the best choice

Preferred max weight and min battery life? Usage? Any special requirements?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 11/26/2018 at 4:18 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

Not the best choice

Preferred max weight and min battery life? Usage? Any special requirements?

Hi, Nvidia 1070, Intel i7 16GB RAM SSD + HDD. Weight and size does not matter.

On 11/26/2018 at 6:20 PM, hiitswilliam said:

I would recommend something like this. It's a bit cheaper than what you were looking at but offers the same impressive specs in a very small form factor. 

Thank but this is too expensive in the UK. VAT in Europe is setting the price too high.

7 hours ago, Platon 1984 said:

Hi, Nvidia 1070, Intel i7 16GB RAM SSD + HDD. Weight and size does not matter.

Usage? No preference on battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

Don't buy a 7th gen laptop at this point in time if you're trying to buy something new.

Might as well get an 8th gen with 6 cores and a 1070 (but a lot of the non Titan laptops have max Q cards).

Something like a P65, GS65, GS63 or GP73 (check the video card installed; you really don't want a 1050 Ti).

Or a bit higher up, GT63 Titan.

Highest end MSI (which you can't afford) is the GT75 Titan with the 8950HK unlocked processor and GTX 1080, but that literally requires you buy a standalone 560W Eurocom clone PSU from aliexpress/china or the super expensive Eurocom 780W, or deal with having to lug around 2x230W PSU's.  The single 330W PSU will only power the GTX 1070 version of this laptop (not even sure if there is a GTX 1070+8950HK SKU) or the partially locked 8850H version (which won't overclock as high as its multiplier is limited, and has a 45W TDP instead of unlimited, but IMON SLOPE and OFFSET tweaks can fix that for you).

While I despise BGA, and my i9 9900K desktop is now called BGA Killer, the one advantage MSI has over other ODM's (especially alienware--don't even consider an alienware anything) is better cooling and thermals, but even MSI is still using convex CPU heatsinks based on the same mold from their first i7 6700HQ laptops (I think GT72S or GT80s) causing some people to have the first three alternating numbered CPU cores hotter than the other 3 (two and two on the 4 cores).  Alienware doesn't have a convex heatsink but instead they have an imbalanced tripod causing the same problems.

the other big advantage of a MSI laptop is the ability to unlock the bios menus (either by various methods or having SVET on MSI forums do it for you), allowing you to undervolt, and or circumvent some power and TDP restrictions that are impossible to bypass on other laptops and change the CPU VID boosting behavior (IA AC DC Loadlines from 1.79 mOhms to 0.01 mOhms, IMON SLOPE/IMON OFFSET tweaks, undervolting option in overclocking performance menu, CPU VR Current override to 1000, etc).

(Intentionally ignoring the Clevo LGA DTR's as they are useless without a Prema Bios and the only one with excellent thermals is the P870 TM1 with Vapor Chamber upgrade, and you can't afford that).

tl;dr: unless you want high end, consider P65, GS65, GS63, GP73 or GT63 Tiana, depending on your budget.