Ryzen 7 2700X without stock cooler

Calaerial1

Hello all,

I hatched a dastardly scheme to get a hold of a R7 2700X to replace my outclassed R3 1200 without blowing my budget which meant buying it from CEX with traded in random crap.

The downside to this is that CEX appears to have a moronic policy that they dont take the coolers with these chips (despite refusing to take a nVidia Shield Tablet without a charger when it was never issued with one) so i have the R7 but no cooler.

I'm trying to find out what the cheapest option is to provide adequate cooling for this thing. Clearly the Wraith Stealth that my R3 rocks wont cut it but nor do i want to spend a fortune on an extreme cooler (nor would one fit in my very cramped case)

What (in your view) is the cheapest cooler you could run the R7 on to provide reasonable temperatures at stock clocks without thermal throttling, assuming a very old school reasonably poor airflow case?

The ones i have looked at so far are the Cooler Master Hyper 212 and the Freezer 33. Would these be adequate or do i need to be upgrading to a some of the Noctua stuff which is unfortunately twice the price?

What kind of poor airflow are we talking? a 212 should cool a 2700x enough but with a case that has decent airflow. The stock cooler does 80 degrees under load in cinebench with a case that has amazing airflow(2 200mm fans, 4 140mm fans and sufficient air vents(

Yeah because they can sell that cooler for another $50.

The 212 should be good.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

45 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

What kind of poor airflow are we talking? a 212 should cool a 2700x enough but with a case that has decent airflow. The stock cooler does 80 degrees under load in cinebench with a case that has amazing airflow(2 200mm fans, 4 140mm fans and sufficient air vents(

Weeeell its a standard midi tower from the early 2000s with no case fans and around 5 drives in there. With a 1060 6GB keeping things toasty.

There is a vent situated directly above the current cooler but its not fan driven and a rear fan that currently doesnt work (i'll replace this) but thats about it really. Cable management is shall we say a constant struggle...

The R3 is currently sitting at around 33c though so it cant be... too bad... maybe...

I could replace the broken fan, cut in a new one into the current empty vent (which currently just has a weird cowl thing stuck to the inside of the panel) and give it some fairly decent flow in through the side and out the exhaust. I have a degree of sentimental attachment to this terrible old case.

32 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Yeah because they can sell that cooler for another $50.

The 212 should be good.

Actually thats the weird part they dont sell the coolers at all from what i can see. So either they send the people trading these chips in home with their coolers or they trash them. When i asked about in store they said they basically had no idea whether it would come with one or not as they had never traded in a CPU at their store. 

They might have the bulk tray version, no heatsink, but it should have priced lower than stock. Are your cpu comes with a box?

Well boxed or no box doesn't matter as long as the cpu run.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

12 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

They might have the bulk tray version, no heatsink, but it should have priced lower than stock. Are your cpu comes with a box?

Well boxed or no box doesn't matter as long as the cpu run.

No box sadly, just the chip in the usual little clip together plastic sleeve.

Price wise, to be honest the CEX pricing on this is quite poor at £280. Puts it actually around par with the full retail pack. The advantage to going this route was i had a load of old rubbish that traded in for a substantial amount (for some reason, who is still buying Galaxy S5s and old iPod Classics?) so in actual cash it cost me very little.  

There you go, its a tray part. No wonder it got no heatsink.

oh, It's a buy and sell store, sort of online pawn shop, interesting, i don't have that in my country.

Do they sell you new one? or just recycle all of the things people sold to them (ordinary pawn shop)?

Well with poor airflow a cooler with 2 fans would benefit more, maybe look at cryorig h7 plus? 

4 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

There you go, its a tray part. No wonder it got no heatsink.

oh, It's a buy and sell store, sort of online pawn shop, interesting, i don't have that in my country.

Do they sell you new one? or just recycle all of the things people sold to them (ordinary pawn shop)?

From what i can gather they have no "New" items at all, its all trade ins. 

Having looked further at the 212 it looks like AM4 compatibility is a bit of a nightmare. None of the retailers near me appear to confirm whether or not the cooler will come with the kit to make it compatible with AM4, which according to CoolerMaster appears to be a seperate SKU. 

I've ended up buying an AIO Liquid Cooler, the MasterLiquid 120. From what i can see it outperformed the 212 in testing so it should be sufficient and its slightly more compact as well. I could mount the radiator and fans where the broken chassis fan is currently :)

I agree with the 212.

I bought a Hyper 212 LED, which came with AM4 mounting. I spent an hour lapping it a few nights back, put it back on my 1700x @ 4Ghz all cores, and hit max temp after 8 hours of stress small fft in Prime95 testing at 73c. Minimum: 38c, 8 hour average of 70c. Out of the box, I peaked at 74c @3.9Ghz (wouldn't run at 4Ghz like this because temps climbed above 78c).

It is my understanding that the Hyper 212 LED should come with AM4 mounting. All the LEDs I saw at Microcenter did anyways. Other 212 variants will probably require the AM4 mounting bracket, part/model RR-AM4B-H212-S1 (no other variants at my Microcenter came with AM4 and required the bracket).

Never rub another man's rhubarb!

4.2225Ghz 1700x on air

cpu-z validation

Hi :)

Thanks for the update, worth knowing for if i have any issues with the Freezer 33 i ended up buying (yes, not the LiquidMaster... long story) 

A really amazing and interesting thing though... i noted that the chip appeared slightly damaged. 

The cause was obvious, the monkey in the warehouse had put the chip into its sleeve upside down, so some of the outer corner pins were slightly bent inwards. Naturally this caused me some concern so i decided i needed to boot this thing and see whether it would at least POST or whether it was dead. So i resolved (with due trepidation) to install the R7 topped only with the Wraith Stealth that came with my R3 1200. Liberal application of Arctic MX-4.

I have to say... im amazed. Dont get me wrong when the Freezer 33 arrives i'll be using it, but the R7 is still able to spool up to its full 4.3ghz while remaining under 65c! Idles are around 28c, playing VR games tends to put it up to around 50-55c though it isnt full Turbo'd at that point as it doesnt seem to need it. 

All of this is on a pack in cooler that came with a chip with what? 1/3rd of its TDP!

It definitely helps that its the middle of winter here, ambient is probably like 12-13c in this room at most. And i've left the case open due to its poor airflow. But i anticipated just putting this thing in, seeing if it booted and removing it before it set itself on fire! 

Makes me wonder if i might have had some luck in the silicon lottery, i'll find out when the cooler arrives and i see how far i can push it on air. I was reasonably lucky with the R3 which was able to run stable for a year at 3.95Ghz (Would absolutely not hit 4ghz, stubborn) until this thing arrived. 

I know I'm late on this, but - the Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition is a great cooler. Using it I don't think I've ever seen my 1500X go above 73C (that's with a pretty high overclock (for a Ryzen chip), stress testing, and a case with fairly poor airflow (the Cooler Master Q300P).

I would guess the regular Freezer 33 (the non-eSports Edition) probably performs similarly.

6 hours ago, DezGalbie said:

I would guess the regular Freezer 33 (the non-eSports Edition) probably performs similarly.

The regular is a bit worse due to the lower rpm and fewer fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

56 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The regular is a bit worse due to the lower rpm and fewer fans. 

They make an e-Sports Edition with one fan as well (I have the one with two fans for the sake of symmetry and lower temps though).

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/d/Computer-Fans-Cooling/ARCTIC-Freezer-eSports-ONE-Processor/B076LQ2BJZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1543425226&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=arctic+freezer+33+esports+one&psc=1

But yeah, the regular edition will be a little worse off.

3 hours ago, DezGalbie said:

They make an e-Sports Edition with one fan as well (I have the one with two fans for the sake of symmetry and lower temps though).

Yeah, that one is called the eSports One and not the eSports Edition which is what you mentioned. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.