PC randomly shuts down / fails to boot - problem with CPU (7700k) ?

Fleelive
On 11/28/2018 at 9:47 PM, primeash1 said:

did u found any solution for the above problem.I have been getting the same problem for my notebook .i updated windows a week back and then it randomly turns off.after some time whenever i play games machine shuts down on its own.

specs:i77700hk.gtx1050 and model name msigl62m7rd

I just received a brand new 7700k to replace the old one with. Hopefully I can give it a try tomorrow and see if it worked.

Great news, That was fast. Keep us posted!

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

5 hours ago, Brent744 said:

Great news, That was fast. Keep us posted!

It didn't work. I replaced the CPU, no luck. I took everything out of the case to make sure it wasn't a faulty connection with the case that made it short circuit and it still crashes.

The only two things I can think of still doing is to take it someplace else and make sure it's not some strange power problem at my house. I'm also going to retry the new PSU and swap some more parts around. Another thing I could do is reinstall Windows and basically start over fresh but that wouldn't make any sense either since it crashed even without an SSD connected.

I'm completely at a loss now. 

Hmmmmm, To me it still seems like it would have something to do with the power. Maybe try another power cable?

Other than that I would reset CMOS again and reinstall Windows. It doesnt seem to me like a software issue either, but it wouldnt hurt to rule that out completely.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

2 hours ago, Brent744 said:

Hmmmmm, To me it still seems like it would have something to do with the power. Maybe try another power cable?

Other than that I would reset CMOS again and reinstall Windows. It doesnt seem to me like a software issue either, but it wouldnt hurt to rule that out completely.

I switched back to the old motherboard so I'm going to update this one to the latest BIOS version first. I've already tried a different power cable with no luck. :( Reinstalling Windows is something that I still have to do, yeah.

I'd just like to invite anyone else to join in if you have any clue what this might be. I know this isn't as flashy of a topic as someone building or overclocking a great rig, but I depend on my PC for some of my work and am at a complete loss. I've replaced just about every component (PSU, CPU, GPU, Motherboard, RAM) without any luck and the fact that it crashes even on BIOS without an SDD connected suggests it isn't software related. I've talked to dozens of people about this and even brought it into a PC repair shop where they assured me it was the motherboard and that an update / tweak would fix it (it obviously didn't). I'm at a complete loss and pretty desperate at this point so any help would really be appreciated.

And both motherboards crash while in the BIOS? Remember, when switching motherboards you have to reinstall Windows. Windows configures itself based on current hardware. It can usually readjust upon boot when you swap a cpu of the same socket, ram and gpu. But Microsoft recommends to always reinstall Windows when swapping motherboards. So I recommend switching to the new board and complete a reinstall.

11 hours ago, Brent744 said:

And both motherboards crash while in the BIOS? Remember, when switching motherboards you have to reinstall Windows. Windows configures itself based on current hardware. It can usually readjust upon boot when you swap a cpu of the same socket, ram and gpu. But Microsoft recommends to always reinstall Windows when swapping motherboards. So I recommend switching to the new board and complete a reinstall.

Both motherboards crashed while in the BIOS, although I must admit that I didn't reinstall Windows when swapping it out because I used the exact same model of mobo. The new board has been sent back (I had 2 weeks to try it out) but I'm going to reinstall Windows soon. First thing I'm trying is taking the PC over to someone else's place and see if I can replicate it there. It's a long shot but at least I can rule out some bizarre power issue in my own house.

On 12/4/2018 at 8:28 PM, Brent744 said:

I tried the PC in a different house and it wouldn't even fully boot so it's definitely not the power at my home.

Now I'll try reinstalling Windows but I don't even really know how to go about that if the PC keeps crashing or won't even boot.

You can take the drive out and wipe it from another PC. Ensure to clear cmos before plugging it back in to reinstall the OS. If its crashing while in bios it's likely still a hardware issue somewhere, but at least you'll be able to rule out software for sure and Windows 10 reinstall is relatively fast compared to previous Windows OS's.

If its crashing in bios it definitely seems like either a power issue or something with the motherboard, but you've already ruled those out. You're certain the cpu cooler is installed correctly?

If possible, upload a photo of the inside of the tower so we can view the motherboard and see everything that is plugged in.

7 hours ago, Brent744 said:

You can take the drive out and wipe it from another PC. Ensure to clear cmos before plugging it back in to reinstall the OS. If its crashing while in bios it's likely still a hardware issue somewhere, but at least you'll be able to rule out software for sure and Windows 10 reinstall is relatively fast compared to previous Windows OS's.

If its crashing in bios it definitely seems like either a power issue or something with the motherboard, but you've already ruled those out. You're certain the cpu cooler is installed correctly?

If possible, upload a photo of the inside of the tower so we can view the motherboard and see everything that is plugged in.

Yeah, the CPU cooler should be installed correctly. I've taken it out and reinstalled it several times over the past 2 weeks so there shouldn't be a problem there.

The current plan is ordering another new motherboard (Asus Prime Z270 P) to try this weekend. I'm going to be using a new HDD for the OS and everything, and will only use "new" parts that weren't in the PC when it first gave out. That should hopefully tell us a lot.

And I can do better than a photo. This is a full video of the current setup out of the box. I hope this might tell you (and anyone else, please chime in) a thing or two.

(Final) update just in case anyone else would come across this later. It appears that the motherboard was somehow still the issue even though I replaced it earlier. The replacement I used was the exact same model / version as the previous one and I didn't fully wipe / reformat the drives before installing it which might have caused the problem. I bought another motherboard (Asus Prime Z270-P) and installed the new parts on it which seems to have fixed it. I'll be going through the other older components soon just to double check but I can't imagine it being anything but the motherboard at this point. 

Thanks for the help!

Great news! Thanks for the update