RX550, GT1030, OR GTX750/GTX750 Ti for a 240W Power Supply

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,
24 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I would say a 750 ti, 950, 760 maybe? You could get a cx450m for 20 bucks after rebate

This is a SFF PC, won't fit an ATX PSU. These machines use proprietary PSUs, so you're stuck with those 240W, and often a 25W limit on the PCIe slot.

28 minutes ago, LukeIsLoveLukeIsLife said:

I've recently watched the "Upgrading the $69 dollar gaming PC" video and wanted to try it on my HP Compaq system as well. I currently have an R7 240 in it (yes, I've "modified" the case to fit it in) and I don't have to worry about the power limit since it's just around 20-25 max TDP. Now, I want to upgrade it, so I'm looking for the perfect GPU to fit it in there without comprimising safety. The prices are kind of near each other, and so I don't have a problem with that. I would like the GTX750/750ti since it gives the best performance out of the three. The RX550 is just slightly lower than the GT1030, but also cheaper at around $8-$10.

TL;DR Which graphics card should I put on a system with a 240W max power supply.

The GT1030 (GDDR5 mind you, not the DDR4 version because it's utter crap) is a safe buy, as it almost always works. The most powerful option is the GTX750Ti, but you'll have to see if it will actually power up. 

I've recently watched the "Upgrading the $69 dollar gaming PC" video and wanted to try it on my HP Compaq system as well. I currently have an R7 240 in it (yes, I've "modified" the case to fit it in) and I don't have to worry about the power limit since it's just around 20-25 max TDP. Now, I want to upgrade it, so I'm looking for the perfect GPU to fit it in there without comprimising safety. The prices are kind of near each other, and so I don't have a problem with that. I would like the GTX750/750ti since it gives the best performance out of the three. The RX550 is just slightly lower than the GT1030, but also cheaper at around $8-$10.

TL;DR Which graphics card should I put on a system with a 240W max power supply.

24 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

I would say a 750 ti, 950, 760 maybe? You could get a cx450m for 20 bucks after rebate

This is a SFF PC, won't fit an ATX PSU. These machines use proprietary PSUs, so you're stuck with those 240W, and often a 25W limit on the PCIe slot.

28 minutes ago, LukeIsLoveLukeIsLife said:

The GT1030 (GDDR5 mind you, not the DDR4 version because it's utter crap) is a safe buy, as it almost always works. The most powerful option is the GTX750Ti, but you'll have to see if it will actually power up. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

There's no reason to suspect a 750 Ti wouldn't work. It gets all its power from the PCIe slot. It's also a good deal stronger and cheaper than the 1030.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

There's no reason to suspect a 750 Ti wouldn't work. It gets all its power from the PCIe slot. It's also a good deal stronger and cheaper than the 1030.

Some of these HP SFF PCs are artificially limited to only provide 25W through the PCIe slots, that's the catch.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

low spec gamer (i think it was him) posted a video on youtube where he gamed on VR on a gt 1030 and actually got pretty good FPS after he turned the scaling ALL the way down.. but the game still looked pretty good and there were not any frame drops

(he tested superhot and elder scrolls V VR)

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

low spec gamer (i think it was him) posted a video on youtube where he gamed on VR on a gt 1030 and actually got pretty good FPS after he turned the scaling ALL the way down.. but the game still looked pretty good and there were not any frame drops

(he tested superhot and elder scrolls V VR)

vr on a 1030? well, why did I buy a 1070 ti?

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

vr on a 1030? well, why did I buy a 1070 ti?

cuz a 1070ti can run VR on max settings at better FPS then a 1030

1 minute ago, iLostMyXbox21 said:

cuz a 1070ti can run VR on max settings at better FPS then a 1030

yeah, i'm using a 1080p tv for gaming. 

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

yeah, i'm using a 1080p tv for gaming. 

that helps too cause the 1030 is trash (but not bad) and can mostly run games at 720

Just now, iLostMyXbox21 said:

that helps too cause the 1030 is trash (but not bad) and can mostly run games at 720

look, I know. it's just that I wanted to make fun of it... the 1030 is good on a buget tho

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

look, I know. it's just that I wanted to make fun of it... the 1030 is good on a buget tho

it is, i actually comsidered buying one but it seems like a waste in my opinion considering i would have to upgrade again in a month or two

Thanks for the replies! I have decided on a GT 1030 mainly because of its 30W max TDP, which is the same as my current R7 240. The RX550 falls short to the GT1030--- at the same price. The 750ti's power consumption would just be too high; not worth risking the entire pc for a mere 10-15fps. 

I also forgot to mention that I was only planning to play Dota 2, CS:GO, Fortnite, LoL, Killing Floor 2, and some triple A games on 720p resolution because my 1080p one is on my main pc.

Edited by LukeIsLoveLukeIsLife