Tech Jesus reviews the Walmart gaming PC, how do you think it went? (Hint: it's really bad)

Master Disaster
2 hours ago, poochyena said:

Thought we were talking about the dtw1. This is what I ended up coming up with. ~$300 cheaper to build your own. Its overpriced, but I don't think it is crazy outrageous. Not much worse than any other pre-built.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/poochyena/saved/gYJZRB

Some of the parts the dtw1 uses are worse than pre-built pc's,I think it's crazy overpriced because OEM's like Dell or HP use an 80 plus rated PSU, and have cases with front USB 3.0 ports.

5 hours ago, manikyath said:

but those are notably better parts than wal-fart is using.. if that was the exact parts list i!'m sure steve would have been a whole lot more positive.

My point was I don't think Steve was hard enough on the PCs, though he might be saving the real rant for when they get the real PC in.

4 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Some of the parts the dtw1 uses are worse than pre-built pc's,I think it's crazy overpriced because OEM's like Dell or HP use an 80 plus rated PSU, and have cases with front USB 3.0 ports.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-gaming-desktops/new-alienware-aurora/spd/alienware-aurora-r8-desktop/dpcwscr803h?selectionState=eyJGUHJpY2UiOjIxMjkuOTksIklVUHJpY2UiOjIxMjkuOTksIk9DIjoiZHBjd3NjcjgwM2giLCJRdHkiOjEsIlByU3QiOiIiLCJNb2RzIjpbeyJJZCI6MTEsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiRzFPMjBaNCJ9XX0seyJJZCI6Njc2LCJPcHRzIjpbeyJJZCI6IkdFUENRM1cifV19LHsiSWQiOjYsIk9wdHMiOlt7IklkIjoiR1U0RlpUTSJ9XX0seyJJZCI6OCwiT3B0cyI6W3siSWQiOiJHQjBDR09OIn1dfV19

30 USD more than the DTW3: better CPU, Mobo, PSU, clocks on the memory, GPU (GTX 2080), storage (NVMe boot drive), and full customer service.

All the WalMart SI needed to do was spend about 15USD more (10 on the PSU and 5 on the Motherboard) and we wouldn't be having this conversation. Dell & HP design the internals to meet a spec and then spend the least amount of money on making them look good as possible. The "Overpowered" company didn't even pull that feat off.

Remember that unknowing parents will buy this desktop for their kids.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

10 hours ago, demonix00 said:

I just have to wonder how many of these "overpowered" PCs will be functioning in a year or so time considering that they used a no name PSU with dubious certifications which is more then likely to go nuclear taking several components with it.

Yeah cheaping out on the PSU is pretty much my cardinal sin when it comes to a computer. You do not cheap out on that because if it fails replacing it may well end up amounting to a whole new PC, because once the magic blue smoke comes out thats it, you ain't getting it back in again.

I just didnt agreed with the drama about getting the wrong sku. Come on that shit happens and they are replacing it.

The rest it should be expected when you go buy something to a store like that, a pc or anything really except grossery. 

What a sad story, a chance to open up the wonderful world of PCs and PC gaming to a wider audience and it missed the mark by a very long way.

This really could have been a good news story for our hobby, sadly it wasn’t.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

13 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

My point was I don't think Steve was hard enough on the PCs, though he might be saving the real rant for when they get the real PC in.

you better belive jesus is saving up for a resurrection of the topic.

(insert many more biblic references here)

Aside from the PSU it looked fine.  I get that gamersnexus is the new hot channel or whatever but it sure seems like in a lot of his videos he's critical for the sake of being critical

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I think this was to be expected.

I'm most worried about that power supply, bottom of the barrel motherboard and absolutely tiny CPU cooler.

When the PC is acting up haunted,

who ya gonna call?
"Monotone voice" : A local computer store.

*Terrible joke I know*

On 11/25/2018 at 10:15 AM, poochyena said:

Well... at least it doesn't look nearly as tacky as alienware PCs do.

Its bad, but it doesn't seem like much of a rip-off to me. Like everyone else has pointed out, its only around $200 more than if you were to build it yourself.
Honestly though, its a regular 8700, so you don't need that much space for the fans to breathe anyways.

You have to compare apples to apples. If you compare it to other prebuilt from other brand you will see that there are much better options out there. 

There are definitely better options out there!

Sadly, Joe Shmoe that walks into Walmart won't know the difference. They also won't think to check Youtube for reviews.

And at the end of the day for all intents and purposes, it will work. It is just not as good, and you are not getting the best value out of your money, compared to better pre-built or DIY builds. But it will work. It is easy to bash these systems from an enthusiast point of view, but Joe Shmoe won't care and will be none the wiser.

This goes for anything. I am sure that when I buy a used car, I am getting ripped off because I know nothing about cars. That is just the way life goes. If you are not an expert, you are getting ripped off sooner or later.

20 minutes ago, maartendc said:

There are definitely better options out there!

Sadly, Joe Shmoe that walks into Walmart won't know the difference. They also won't think to check Youtube for reviews.

And at the end of the day for all intents and purposes, it will work. It is just not as good, and you are not getting the best value out of your money, compared to better pre-built or DIY builds. But it will work. It is easy to bash these systems from an enthusiast point of view, but Joe Shmoe won't care and will be none the wiser.

This goes for anything. I am sure that when I buy a used car, I am getting ripped off because I know nothing about cars. That is just the way life goes. If you are not an expert, you are getting ripped off sooner or later.

Yes and no. He won't know the difference, but when the PSU blows down the line and potentially takes his data with it he's going to be pretty peeved and not forget it. Walmart is going to make short term sales, but if that PSU isn't a lot better than it looks it's going to give a lot of bad experiences to people preventing repeat customers.

fantastic write up @Master Disaster

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

20 minutes ago, maartendc said:

It is just not as good

The 8700 and 1070 model will perform the same as any other prebuilt with the same hardware, I can almost guarantee it. 

22 minutes ago, maartendc said:

not getting the best value out of your money

Thats the problem. 

Overall its priced similarly to other pre-builts with the same specs, just shittier hardware. 

1 minute ago, CarlBar said:

Yes and no. He won't know the difference, but when the PSU blows down the line and potentially takes his data with it he's going to be pretty peeved and not forget it. Walmart is going to make short term sales, but if that PSU isn't a lot better than it looks it's going to give a lot of bad experiences to people preventing repeat customers. 

This is true, however, I am sure Walmart will happily charge the same customer for the repairs in that case. Joe Shmoe will just chalk it up to "those damn computers always breaking" and won't realize he has been duped.

I do agree with you, it is a terrible business practice long term, and certainly could prevent people from buying Walmart computers in the future. But I don't know.. most consumers are used to the "planned obsolescence" and "disposable" mentality these days.. So they might not even care.

1 minute ago, mynameisjuan said:

The 8700 and 1070 model will perform the same as any other prebuilt with the same hardware, I can almost guarantee it. 

Thats the problem. 

Overall its priced similarly to other pre-builts with the same specs, just shittier hardware. 

Well, tech Jesus has pointed out it is actually priced a good bit higher than similar pre-builts.

Yes, That is what I mean by "it will work": the hardware will perform roughly the same. But you are not getting good quality components in general, and the airflow sucks, etc. etc.

5 hours ago, NIneEyeRon said:

What a sad story, a chance to open up the wonderful world of PCs and PC gaming to a wider audience and it missed the mark by a very long way.

This really could have been a good news story for our hobby, sadly it wasn’t.

Actually, it still will. That wider audience will just be plagued a bit earlier with problems and come rushing to the forums to find out what's wrong with their system. For ppl already here nothing of value with have been gained or lost... 

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Sounds like the Walmart gaming PC is a @Master Disaster!

I'll see myself out...

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

On 11/25/2018 at 1:45 PM, Taf the Ghost said:

I saw the video when posted, but I think Steve was still underselling how expensive these are for parts, build and general quality. WalMart isn't selling these at a heavy relative discount.

While the same general "spec" as the DTW1, this is an across the board better build. (I tossed in a bit of an over-the-top RGB case just for good measure.)  An SI will easily get significant discounts on the MB, RAM, Storage, GPU, PSU and Case, even before buying at Wholesale rather than Retail.

These WalMart computers make the "Best Buy Specials" look top-tier in comparison. It's amazing when someone makes HP look like they're a premium brand.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($314.89 @ B&H) 
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 12 CPU Cooler  ($19.40 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - H310M A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($45.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Patriot - Signature Line 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Team - L5 LITE 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($32.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.50 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Windforce OC Video Card  ($329.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: BitFenix - Neos ATX Mid Tower Case  ($46.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake - 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($98.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1072.52
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-26 14:58 EST-0500

decided to spec it out "according to same quality".. i'm sure i missed a part.. i cant imagine i managed to slice off another 200 bucks.. dat juicy profit margin tho.. that's in the same profit range of puget's most high-end lineups.. i bet walmart doesnt give you a detailed thermal report for that margin.

This seems like one of those initiatives that Walmart support for a few years and discontinue. I doubt you'd be able to buy a PC from then in say 3 or 4 years. Especially with publicity like this from GN and Bitwit.

2 hours ago, AHaskin14 said:

fantastic write up @Master Disaster

Not mine, all credit to Steve from GN

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 hours ago, maartendc said:

This is true, however, I am sure Walmart will happily charge the same customer for the repairs in that case. Joe Shmoe will just chalk it up to "those damn computers always breaking" and won't realize he has been duped.

I do agree with you, it is a terrible business practice long term, and certainly could prevent people from buying Walmart computers in the future. But I don't know.. most consumers are used to the "planned obsolescence" and "disposable" mentality these days.. So they might not even care.

Thing is walmart probably can't repair a fried HDD and the lost data that goes with it. Thats gone and it ain't coming back. Thats going to sting no matter how nice Walmart is about things.

7 minutes ago, CarlBar said:

Thing is walmart probably can't repair a fried HDD and the lost data that goes with it. Thats gone and it ain't coming back. Thats going to sting no matter how nice Walmart is about things. 

Yeah, but my point is Joe Shmoe doesn't even know what a power supply is, so he will just say "Those darn computers are always breaking". He doesn't know that components come in ranges of quality. He just knows more Gigabytes is more better.

10 minutes ago, maartendc said:

Yeah, but my point is Joe Shmoe doesn't even know what a power supply is, so he will just say "Those darn computers are always breaking". He doesn't know that components come in ranges of quality. He just knows more Gigabytes is more better.

Sure but he doesn't expect to just suddenly lose all his data without being able to get it back when his system dies. He may not understand why he lost the data, but he's going to be mad that he did and he's going to remember that it was walmarts computer that lost his stuff.

not a surprise, a major store want to get in on the money and make as much as it can not hoping they don't get lots of warranty claims. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs