Tech Jesus reviews the Walmart gaming PC, how do you think it went? (Hint: it's really bad)

Master Disaster

Steve over at Gamers Nexus went out and bought the top of the range Walmart DTW3 ($2100 of his own money btw) to see how good the thing was and it's bad, like really bad.

So to kick off the experience upon receiving the thing they quickly noticed that they were sent the wrong machine, they had ordered the $2100 DTW3 but what arrived was the bottom end $1400 DTW1 instead. Now in the video review Steve fairly points out this could just be a shipping error (although both boxes were clearly labelled DTW1) but goes on to point out that given Walmart's target audience for this thing it's not a huge leap to expect many buyers wouldn't even notice they've been sent the wrong machine. Not a good start.

We thought we were getting the DTW3 – Walmart’s new $2100 gaming PC – but the company instead shipped its $1400 model while still charging us an extra $700 for parts we didn’t receive.

But we knew it’d be a rip-off when we placed the order, we just didn’t know it’d be a rip-off of such unchallenged proportions. Even if we assume that our receipt of a SKU $700 down-ticket was an honest mistake – and Walmart has agreed to replace it (after they get it back, so a 2-week window) – it’s still just an awful selection of components.

The first irk Steve had was the fact they decided to hot glue the USB3 header into the board (I have to disagree here, having worked tech support myself i know how bad customers get irritated when PCs arrive with loose or unplugged cables), now what I do agree with is the fact they routed the USB3 cable around the top of the GPU. Why?

It’s hard to know where to start; undoubtedly, this is also the feeling that Walmart’s PC builders had when they opted to hot glue the USB3.0 header into the motherboard. Or perhaps they felt more confusion when faced with the decision of routing the cables, whereupon hands were thrown up and wires were used to ensnare the video card to the PCIe socket.

The case fans, oh boy the case fans.

Actually, maybe it makes more sense to start with the case, whose fans have literally 2mm of clearance for air intake.

Fortunately, because we didn’t get the DTW3 SKU with a 1080 Ti, thermals aren’t going to be as big of an issue. The DTW3 should produce at least 70W more heat load inside the case, and not having to deal with that will reduce thermal concerns markedly.

That’s not a compliment.

Now obviously he cannot review the product he purchased, he didn't receive that so for now we're stuck with the lower end system but he promises to update the review when Walmart get his return sorted out.

Let’s start here: We’re working on full testing for these systems, but we first need to finish the replacement and return process with Walmart. Our order was for the DTW3, shown below:

walmart-overpowered-dtw3_1.jpg

What we received was the DTW1, shown below:

walmart-overpowered-dtw1_1.jpg

I won't spoil the surprise of the motherboard for you, just read what Steve has to say.

Focusing on build quality today, we start with component selection. Walmart’s double-outsourced and once-subcontracted PC builder elected to instantly enfeeble the sum of parts by using an Intel H310 chipset, heralding from the Gigabyte H310M S2 motherboard (which is somehow ~$70 retail). An instant reaction might be that this doesn’t matter, seeing as the CPU is an Intel i7-8700 non-K, locked CPU, but further inspection betrays this belief. The H310 chipset runs a bus speed of ~5GT/s over DMI2, whereas any other Intel chipset – like the equally cheap B360 variant – runs 8GT/s over DMI3; in fact, the H310 chipset was recently the top candidate for re-awakening the 22nm fab that Intel uses. If that doesn’t tell you how low-end this chipset really is, nothing will. Intel deemed it weak enough to not even need 14nm production, and elected to save dwindling 14nm fab space by pushing some of the H310 production back to 22nm.

That isn’t a good chipset.

Further still, H310 can only peel-off 6 lanes for PCIe from the chipset, whereas B360 can pull 12 PCIe lanes. H310 can’t host as many USB ports, particularly Gen 3/3.1. More critically, it also can only host 1x DIMM per channel (1DPC), limiting boards to just 2 DIMM slots.

Things continue to decline when RAM is examined (prepare to laugh at this one).

Assuming the actual DTW3 uses the same motherboard, because it probably does, that means a 32GB Walmart system probably rocks 2400MHz memory in two slots.

We don’t have to guess, though, because we have the DTW1, and it does run 2400MHz of 16GB in a single slot. Further, Walmart’s own support staff clearly have no damn idea what they’re talking about, because the product lists the memory as “2400GHz.”

That’s giga, as in about 1000x wrong.

And lest anyone think this number just a typo, we present to you the official Walmart response to a joke comment left by a user:

Spoiler

walmart-ghz2.png

Both the case and PSU are from Great Wall, the PSU is a 500w unit that apparently is bronze rated (according to the website) however the unit shows no markings of this fact. Steve also doesn't like the cables very much.

The case comes from Great Wall, as does the PSU, both of which are bought unbranded from the supplier. Great Wall’s PSU does not bear the 80 Plus certification sticker and carries no guaranteed efficiency rating, although it is listed on their website as "80 Plus Bronze" -- it just doesn't have the sticker on the PSU, which is paid for with the certification. In the DTW1, this is rated for 500W (or 21A on the CPU, so 252W down EPS12V). The DTW3 allegedly uses a 650W Great Wall PSU, but we won’t know for sure until Walmart replaces our system with the correct unit. The power supply runs some of the ugliest cables we’ve seen in years and, while this isn’t really that much of an issue (the PSU itself is more offensive), one would hope that a $2100 computer would at least look nice. Markup on this thing is completely insane, even for a system integrator. Incumbent competitors like iBUYPOWER offer an RTX 2080 and i7-9700K at a cheaper price of $1700, but also include brand-name PSUs, motherboards with Z-series chipsets, and 3200MHz memory in multiple slots. For the same price, Walmart uses unbranded PSUs without any efficiency ratings or certifications, 2400MHz garbage-bin RAM, and an H310 chipset with half the bus transfer speed as baseline. The Overpowered DTW3 and DTW1 (and presumably DTW2) are criminally incompetent in their components selection.

Spoiler

walmart-gaming-pc-cable-management.jpg

walmart-gaming-pc-dtw1-psu.jpg

Again Steve gets mad at the glued in USB port but even worse is the fact they chose to have no front panel USB3 ports and instead use the entire header for a single external USB Type C expansion. Again, WHY? Oh and to top it off the recommend users use the type c port for a mouse! I'm genuinely not making this shit up.

Getting back into cable management, Walmart’s team (outsourced to eSports Arena, who definitely outsource to someone else to build) resorted to hot glue to hold the USB3.0 header in place. If you buy from any respectable SI – again, we just got that iBUYPOWER system in – they do not do this (anymore). It’s not a shipping concern. Walmart is gluing cables into the ports. That’s utterly insane. The system internals look like an Arts & Crafts project for a five-year-old.

That’s without even mentioning what the USB3.0 header is, you know, doing, because it’s not USB3 to the front panel. Instead, Walmart has elected in its precognition to install a single USB Type-C slot in the back by way of expansion card. “Precognition” because, we think, Walmart needs to check the box that says “USB Type-C” on its spec sheet. This does that, but the unfortunate side-effect is that the system can no longer have USB 3.x front headers, as the motherboard has only one USB3.0 header (which is now wasted). And that’s not to decry Walmart’s included instructions that demand use of USB3 for best “connectivity performance” with a mouse.

Because a mouse, apparently, sends 10Gbps of data.

Who’d’a thunk. We’ll revise our testing methodology posthaste.

Cooling? You guessed it, more of the same.

Walmart’s gaming PC certainly isn’t Overpowered, as its name might suggest, when considering its uncertified 500W PSU (with 21A EPS12V rails), but maybe it’s overpowered in its cooling potential.

No. To suggest as such stupid. Sorry.

The enclosure allows for a 2mm gap between the fans and the front panel, between which the void is left unfilled with thanks to a lack of dust filtration. The fans are unbranded and plug into the same proprietary, obnoxious header that Lian Li used to use for its older Bora fans.

Now, to be fair, all this means is that Lian Li is using the same supplier as Walmart -- but there's a reason Lian Li moved on from this design.

This eliminates the option of PWM control via the motherboard, reinforced by the fact that Walmart rerouted the RESET_SW FPC header to instead jury-rig a power solution for the fan hub. It does not speak to the motherboard. That’s probably a good thing, as it forces the fans to run at 100% and provide the static pressure required to fight that glass panel. We’re far enough along on the P-Q curve that they might be able to brute force some air to the tiny CPU cooler.

And it is a small one. Unlike most “real” system integrators, Walmart did not opt for an Asetek CLC. No, instead, Walmart stuck a mini-tower cooler onto the socket, branded “CooNong” and equipped with an ~85mm fan (blade-to-blade). It’s enough for an 8700 that is otherwise unfortunately throttled, but only for so long: As these systems age and get exposed to dust and pet hair, and other normal debris of life, owners will discover them clogged with dust at both case intake and HSF intake. There isn’t any dust filtration at the intake fans. There’s actually more dust filtration on parts of the case where there aren’t any fans which, considering this is a positive pressure configuration, makes absolutely zero sense.

Spoiler

walmart-liann-li-controller.jpg

walmart-gaming-pc-cooler.jpg

Storage isn't actually bad, I mean its not really good and it's certainly a little odd.

We’re probably overlooking some other poor choices that we mentioned in the video, but it’s time to move on to drives.

Surprisingly, there’s no bloatware, so that’s good. Oddly, however, the Overpowered DTW1 comes with its Toshiba hard drive pre-partitioned into 4x ~250GB drive letters in Windows. We’re not sure if this is to give the illusion of more storage or for some less malicious, more incompetent alternative. They did it, though, presumably for a reason.

That’s about it for the hard drive. The SSD is an ADATA ISSS316, which is a relatively innocuous distribution-only SSD. It’s also half of the advertised capacity, but that goes along with the other DTW3 vs. DTW1 screw-ups.

Steve tried calling Tech Support only to be told their opening hours are 10am to 4pm. I think the conclusion is pretty obvious, DON'T BUY THIS PC!!

We tried calling Overpowered’s support line, but the offices stop working at 4PM PST (for whatever reason) and, when calling, they don’t specify a time zone. It’s just “we’re closed at 4PM,” which is sort of odd. The answering machine also picks up as “CLO,” and is clearly another layer of outsourcing in the chain of ownership. You look at other system integrators in the market – again, iBUYPOWER and CyberPower are great examples – and their included instructions are practically begging you to call them for support.

CLO didn’t answer, whoever they are, so we deferred to Walmart’s actual support line. This, naturally, led to the usual cacophony of ever-changing robot voices and pre-recorded voices from various individuals, requiring one phone menu after another. Eventually, we got through to a person. After explaining the situation to the individual (that we paid for a $2100 system and received a $1400 system, existing markup notwithstanding), the representative agreed to send us a prepaid shipping label to return the unit for a replacement. This replacement wouldn’t ship until the original was returned, she said, so Walmart doesn’t have a cross-shipping policy in place for their own screw-ups.

Check the video for more detail and check back to this site for our follow-up testing and reviews. Thus far, without even running the numbers, we give this a very firm “don’t buy.”

Skip Walmart. If you don’t want to build a PC, that’s completely legitimate and perfectly valid. Not everyone has to build a PC, but please buy from a brand that doesn’t suck so hard. Good alternatives would include, again, iBUYPOWER, CyberPower, Maingear, Origin, etc.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3401-walmart-gaming-pc-overpowered-dtw3-not-worth-it-review

Do I actually need to comment on this? I expected it to be bad but holy shit. Literally the only good thing Steve could say it the rear cable management was adequate. Rip off is an understatement.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Kinda expected ...

Magical Pineapples

1 minute ago, Speed Weed said:

I am pretty sure Alienware desktop is much better than this one ?

current alienwares? night and day difference.

about 2 years ago i talked a complete newbie trough building his own desktop over skype (no camera, just voice), and he did a better job than the DTW1 that steve opened up.

I saw the video when posted, but I think Steve was still underselling how expensive these are for parts, build and general quality. WalMart isn't selling these at a heavy relative discount.

While the same general "spec" as the DTW1, this is an across the board better build. (I tossed in a bit of an over-the-top RGB case just for good measure.)  An SI will easily get significant discounts on the MB, RAM, Storage, GPU, PSU and Case, even before buying at Wholesale rather than Retail.

These WalMart computers make the "Best Buy Specials" look top-tier in comparison. It's amazing when someone makes HP look like they're a premium brand.

11 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

I saw the video when posted, but I think Steve was still underselling how expensive these are for parts, build and general quality. WalMart isn't selling these at a heavy relative discount.

While the same general "spec" as the DTW1, this is an across the board better build. (I tossed in a bit of an over-the-top RGB case just for good measure.)  An SI will easily get significant discounts on the MB, RAM, Storage, GPU, PSU and Case, even before buying at Wholesale rather than Retail.

These WalMart computers make the "Best Buy Specials" look top-tier in comparison. It's amazing when someone makes HP look like they're a premium brand.

You say "underselling" but they didnt use as good ram, ssd, cooler, motherboard, case, or psu which probably cost half the price in every regard on the retail market, disregarding that they get the bulk purchase discount.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

5 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

You say "underselling" but they didnt use as good ram, ssd, cooler, motherboard, case, or psu which probably cost half the price in every regard on the retail market, disregarding that they get the bulk purchase discount.

Having worked for a SI some years ago, I can tell you the markups on certain parts are very high. I'd venture the system Steve tested, cost Walmart closer to 700$ by the time it was all said and done.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

23 minutes ago, Ashiella said:

Oh, and they get Windows at the Volume License cost, which is a lot lower.

The DTW1 at 1200 would be "deal", but at 1400 you really aren't getting what you're paying for.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-desktop-computers/inspiron-gaming-desktop/spd/inspiron-5680-gaming-desktop/ddcwblsk107h

As if to prove my point, that one from Dell is 1449USD right now, and even looks better!

16 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Having worked for a SI some years ago, I can tell you the markups on certain parts are very high. I'd venture the system Steve tested, cost Walmart closer to 700$ by the time it was all said and done.

I was thinking around 800, but with how much they cheaped out, the CPU & GPU were probably 75% of the total cost of the build.

A build for the DTW3:

2080 in for a 1080 Ti since the public stock of 1080 Tis is pretty well gone. The DTW3 probably uses the same parts as the DTW1 (though probably a no-name 600w PSU). There's at least 1000USD of room between BOM cost and what Steve actually ordered. A 5USD better motherboard would have solved about 80% of the complaints that are going to show up with these computers.

Greatwall PSU. RIP. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

I expected them to cheap out on some parts, but didn't expect them to outright ship the completely wrong product. How can you manage to fuck up that badly when every boxes are clearly labelled DTW-1 while the invoice says DTW-3.

I honestly wouldn't have been surprised if they had just claimed he was lying or something to refuse the return.
After all, would you really be surprised if two people colluded together, to get an expensive system for cheaper? One order the DTW-3 the other the DTW-1, then the one who got the DTW-3 call support saying he received a DTW-1 and....

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

That's just... what the fuck?

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

Well... at least it doesn't look nearly as tacky as alienware PCs do.

Its bad, but it doesn't seem like much of a rip-off to me. Like everyone else has pointed out, its only around $200 more than if you were to build it yourself.
Honestly though, its a regular 8700, so you don't need that much space for the fans to breathe anyways.

20 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Its bad, but it doesn't seem like much of a rip-off to me. Like everyone else has pointed out, its only around $200 more than if you were to build it yourself.
Honestly though, its a regular 8700, so you don't need that much space for the fans to breathe anyways.

I'd say it's much more than 200$

The build comparisons here use much better and more expensive parts and don't forget the windows license (SI's get those very cheap).

Let not forget the fire hazard PSU and has anyone checked to see if the motherboard vrm's can handle an 8700?

The true gap is closer to 400-500$

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

47 minutes ago, Terryv said:

The true gap is closer to 400-500$

Can you back that statement up?

1 hour ago, poochyena said:

The build here has a better ram, a better PSU, much better CPU cooler, better case and a bigger hdd. Once you take into account all those component differences bought in bulk plus OEM Windows licensing the difference is MUCH more than it seems.

Besides which they crippled the entire system by cheaping out on the board, literally another $5 per unit on the board would have made it much better value but nope.

Let's not forget that Steve was able to find a similar build to the higher end SKU (the $2100 one) from iBuyPower which uses ALL branded reputable parts, has a 2080 in it, has custom sleeved cables, is built by people who know what they're doing and is cheaper. Either iBuyPower are making nothing on their build or the Walmart build is STUPIDLY overpriced.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

43 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Can you back that statement up?

Let's take the above RTX 2080 build at 1857$ that's already 243$ cheaper (I'm excluding mail in rebates)

System integrators pay around 30$ for windows. That another savings of 95$

The noctua cooler can be swapped out for a hyper T4 (I think is very similar in performance to the Walmart part) 25$ a savings of 35$

The board above is 85$ a gigabyte h310m-a is 45 that a savings of 40$ (I think the very same board that Walmart uses)

That brings the difference to 413$ and withing my stated margin. This also doesn't include volume discounts and other cost cutting. I've used retail prices from newegg.com

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

1 minute ago, Terryv said:

Let's take the above RTX 2080 build at 1857$ that's already 243$ cheaper

The noctua cooler can be swapped out for a hyper T4 (I think is very similar in performance to the Walmart part) 25$ a savings of 35$

The board above is 85$ a gigabyte h310m-a is 45 that a savings of 40$ (I think the very same board that Walmart uses)

That brings the difference to 413$ and withing my stated margin. This also doesn't include volume discounts and other cost cutting. I've used retail prices from newegg.com

You forgot PSU & Case, no way they're paying £30 per unit for the PSU & $125 per case. Oh and that build has a 2TB while the Walmart one only had 1TB and the Walmart SSD is an OEM only part as well.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

You forgot PSU & Case, no way they're paying £30 per unit for the PSU & $125 per case. Oh and that build has a 2TB while the Walmart one only had 1TB and the Walmart SSD is an OEM only part as well.

I only went far enough to prove my point, but looking back. I probably underestimated things myself. Its more likely 5-600$

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

Just now, Terryv said:

I only went far enough to prove my point, but looking back. I probably underestimated things myself. Its more likely 5-600$

Lastly no way they're paying $210 for memory either.

Honestly i think even $600 is an underestimate of how much profit they're making.

6 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Lastly no way they're paying $210 for memory either.

Honestly i think even $600 is an underestimate of how much profit they're making.

I've got no problem with them making profit, they are a business after all. 

My problem is that, I as a retail customer can build a virtually identical system for 600$ less and the business who sold me the parts still made their cut.

This also excludes the fact that they use substandard parts, they could easily improve those weak points and still make a solid profit.

System specs:

GTX 1050

16GB DDR3

Samsung evo SSD

a few HDD's

This is one of those things where you don't know where to start from. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

54 minutes ago, Terryv said:

Let's take the above RTX 2080 build at 1857$ that's already 243$ cheaper (I'm excluding mail in rebates)

Thought we were talking about the dtw1. This is what I ended up coming up with. ~$300 cheaper to build your own. Its overpriced, but I don't think it is crazy outrageous. Not much worse than any other pre-built.
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/poochyena/saved/gYJZRB

8 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

but those are notably better parts than wal-fart is using.. if that was the exact parts list i!'m sure steve would have been a whole lot more positive.

I just have to wonder how many of these "overpowered" PCs will be functioning in a year or so time considering that they used a no name PSU with dubious certifications which is more then likely to go nuclear taking several components with it.