Loving the Dell U3419W (Widescreen 34 inch, USB-C, 3440x1440)

Kingdutch

I've been a long time LTT lurker on YouTube. I've been looking for either a good dock with 90W power to power my late 2016 15" MacBook Pro or a screen that can act as a dock at the same time. Most screens that I've found only have 60W of power which is good enough for the 13" models but not enough for its bigger brother. A few weeks ago I was renewing my search and I stumbled upon the Dell U3419W. 

The U3419W is a 34 inch widescreen monitor with a curved display that was a USC-C output with 90W power. It also supports HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.4. The box included the following cables: power, USB-C, HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB 3-A to B to use the monitor as dock when using HDMI/DP. In the box was also a user manual and a factory calibration certificate. At around €950,- (1050$USD, 1400$CAD) it's a pricey monitor but I think I may have to go with what I've heard Linus say before ("I don't want anything other than a widescreen"). 

For me personally it replaces an old HDMI 1080p monitor that I wasn't able to use with the MacBook due to lacking a cable (USB-C to HDMI converters get bad reviews) so it's a huge step up. Another option that I've considered in the past was the LG 5K monitor but it's 30-40% more expensive and people have reported quite a lot of problems with them. 

I hope that Linus or the LTT team considers doing a review of the monitor because it'd be interesting to hear the thoughts of someone that's handled a few more monitors. I also believe it's the first non-apple endorsed monitor (referring to LG) that has enough power over USB-C to provide a single cable solution for USB C capable laptops.

I'd be happy to answer any questions from the community.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/24/2018 at 2:44 AM, Kingdutch said:

I've been a long time LTT lurker on YouTube. I've been looking for either a good dock with 90W power to power my late 2016 15" MacBook Pro or a screen that can act as a dock at the same time. Most screens that I've found only have 60W of power which is good enough for the 13" models but not enough for its bigger brother. A few weeks ago I was renewing my search and I stumbled upon the Dell U3419W. 

The U3419W is a 34 inch widescreen monitor with a curved display that was a USC-C output with 90W power. It also supports HDMI 2.0 and DisplayPort 1.4. The box included the following cables: power, USB-C, HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB 3-A to B to use the monitor as dock when using HDMI/DP. In the box was also a user manual and a factory calibration certificate. At around €950,- (1050$USD, 1400$CAD) it's a pricey monitor but I think I may have to go with what I've heard Linus say before ("I don't want anything other than a widescreen"). 

For me personally it replaces an old HDMI 1080p monitor that I wasn't able to use with the MacBook due to lacking a cable (USB-C to HDMI converters get bad reviews) so it's a huge step up. Another option that I've considered in the past was the LG 5K monitor but it's 30-40% more expensive and people have reported quite a lot of problems with them. 

I hope that Linus or the LTT team considers doing a review of the monitor because it'd be interesting to hear the thoughts of someone that's handled a few more monitors. I also believe it's the first non-apple endorsed monitor (referring to LG) that has enough power over USB-C to provide a single cable solution for USB C capable laptops.

I'd be happy to answer any questions from the community.

Did you get your MacBook Pro to work with this monitor? I just purchased a new MBA and this monitor but every time the MBA goes to sleep, some communication happens between the monitor and MBA and the MAB makes a sound like it's been plugged in, the monitor wakes up for a super breif moment searching for signal but never displays anything and the whole process loops.

Would hugely appreciate if you had a solution to this.  I can't stand hearing the laptop sound like its getting plugged in all night.

Thanks!