Copyright notice?

h3ll0

I'm confused because It's just a warning.

They might terminate your account for future violations or even sue you (even if you are not in the US, they can sue you by Canadian laws)

If believe they are required by American laws to contact you since both Warner Bros. and Echelon are American based company.

On your location it says you're from Kelowna, so just switch to Shaw or Telus or some other Canadian ISP and you might (or might not) avoid this in the future. 

Can you do the same thing with a WD TV live?

Supposedly from http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3806 you can play with the network settings

I dont know if it will work.  Only takes a few mins to try.

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

They might terminate your account for future violations or even sue you (even if you are not in the US, they can sue you by Canadian laws)

If believe they are required by American laws to contact you since both Warner Bros. and Echelon are American based company.

On your location it says you're from Kelowna, so just switch to Shaw or Telus or some other Canadian ISP and you might (or might not) avoid this in the future. 

I'm with Shaw ,also I don't believe it's that serious based on links provided and the general consensus by the posters on this thread.

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

I'm with Shaw ,also I don't believe it's that serious based on links provided and the general consensus by the posters on this thread.

Interesting, I wonder why then does it say notices.warner@ip-echelon.com instead of something@Shaw.ca

I like Australia, we can torrent what we want and none of the ISPs actually care about it, even if they get sued (iiNet got like, 12 movie companies on its back over its users torrenting, and won the court case) (and they still don't care)

Ryzen 9 5950x | NH-D15 | ROG STRIX X570-F | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 | MSI Ventus RTX 3080 | WD Black SN850 1TB PCIe 4 | Samsung 850 EVO + 860 EVO 1TB | Corsair 5000D Airflow

Dell S3422DWG | Dell S2721DGF | Corsair K70 RGB Keyboard | Logitech G502 Lightspeed | ATH-R70x

Interesting, I wonder why then does it say notices.warner@ip-echelon.com instead of something@Shaw.ca

This is the other half. FROM SHAW!

Dear Subscriber,

Content owners that hold property rights for material such as movies, music and other content, actively monitor Internet activity to protect their rights. We have been notified by a content owner that your Internet Protocol (IP) address has been associated with copyright infringement. As part of new Canadian copyright legislation*, we are obliged to forward to you the attached copy of the content owner's notice. We are unaware of the full details and merit of this infringement claim. If you have questions concerning this matter, please contact the content owner directly. Contact information is listed in the attached notice.

Infringement of copyright laws may result in the content owner pursuing remedies available under applicable laws to protect their interests. We encourage enabling secured passwords on your home Wi-Fi network if you have one to avoid unauthorized use of your Internet connection.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Shaw Cablesystems G.P.

* http://balancedcopyright.gc.ca/eic/site/crp-prda.nsf/eng/home

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

Content owners that hold property rights for material such as movies, music and other content, actively monitor Internet activity to protect their rights. 

I see, so long story short Shaw is required to let Content owners or their representatives (Echelon in this case) to monior internet activity. And in accordance to Bill C-11 (which is just about a year old) of Canadian law section 3.2.3 which states the following:

The proposed “notice-and-notice” regime requires ISPs to forward any notice of infringement they receive from copyright owners to the subscriber in question. On the other hand, a “notice-and-takedown” regime typically requires an ISP to block access to material upon receipt of notice from a rights holder that alleges such material to be infringing.

They are also required to contact you.

So what you recieved now is a Notice-and-Noticed: Shaw was notified about this, and Shaw notified you. They did nothing beyond that.

If you get on their radar again, they might do a Notice-and Take down: Shaw gets notified about this, and Shaw blocks you from seeding and/or downloading such material; or perhpas stopping your internet connection entirely. Neither of these action require a court order to do.

So in conclusion, don't seed too long. Each day Canadian laws get more strict about it.

Well I'm just stopping torrenting and paying for U.S services.

Thank you everyone for helping me understand this. :)

Don't American ISPs just send out Batch emails to IP addresses that are found to be offending? it could have just been an IP that was assigned to someone else, and then switched to you?

#!

nvm

Personally I would tell them no personal details but if you live in a town, say your neighbors could be stealing your internet because you haven't changed the default ip password and then if they tell you to do anything else just ignore it.

it's highly unlikely the police will arrest you or even come to your house for this because of the fact it's easier to shut down the torrent websites that everyone that uses them.

Good Luck!

Getting caught downloading the hangover 3 of all movies waste of bandwidth :P

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

How the fuck did you get caught? Are you kidding? lol. They can't do shit to you if you're not making a profit from it. It is ONLY illegal if you make profits out of pirated content. You can consume it all you want. They're just scaring you. I am in no position to tell you whether or not you SHOULD do it or if it is morally correct, but I also think that if I tell you not to you still will so let's just leave it at that.

I'm now using a proxy from hidemyass.com, using spotify, and downloading shows that I can't get easily in Canada, also can't use american netflix because it requires an american credit card (even through paypal). Also turns out many of my friends and one of my teachers lol, got one of these notices from shaw or telus on the same day, some of them they didn't even download anything. The thing that is really confusing is why they're sending me one from downloading a movie in OCTOBER 2013!

Should I stop torrenting because of this or is the message no threat?

I wouldn't say stop torrenting, but change the way you torrent.

Intel 4770k EVGA GTX 780 Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H Corsair Vengeance Pro Samsung EVO (RAID0) Corsair Air540 Seasonic SS-660XP2

EK Supremacy Alphacool NexXxoS Swifttech MCP655 Swifttech MicroRes PrimoChill PrimoFlex Tubing Alphacool Compression Fittings NXZT Hue LED Controller

Asus PB278Q Acer H233H Coolermaster Quickfire Corsair M60 FiiO E09K Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro Windows 7

In the CoC, it says that you aren't allowed to admit to piracy.

On the other points, I'd just not do it again. You could get yourself in trouble.

Compatible with Windows 95

What do you suggest I use then for consumtion of movies that is not canadian netflix? Also didn't know about the CoC thing sorry :P