Much higher temps on LinuxMint 19.0 than 17.3

Hi guys,

I've got a bit of a noodle scratcher here. I have a Lenovo T500 running LinuxMint 17.3 and I've had no problems with temps. When just logging into email, my max temp was 47C and both cores were at 45C max, while idle we're looking at 32C. But my T530 is running LinuxMint 19.0 and I'm seeing much higher temps for basic tasks like web browsing, maxing out around 78C and the cores around 73C. While idle, it's around 55C.

Any ideas? I never had this problem on the T530 while running 17.3.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

Was it running hot before the update?  Check your airflow and clear out any dust.  Maybe reapply thermal paste as well.  There's videos on YouTube for reapplying thermal compound to the T500.

20 hours ago, wviper3 said:

Was it running hot before the update?  Check your airflow and clear out any dust.  Maybe reapply thermal paste as well.  There's videos on YouTube for reapplying thermal compound to the T500.

It was running cool before the update. I only noticed the high teps due to the fan spinning up a lot more than usual. I've cracked it open and given it a good cleaning, but that doesn't seem to stop the high temps. Reapplying the thermal compound is an interesting idea, particularly given that this is a 6 year old laptop (it's the T530 that has the problem). I'll investigate that route, though I'm a bit shy of messing with my CPU... I might see if Memory Express could do that for me.

One thing I did notice is that the temps spike when I go to check Gmail or Hotmail; that's when the temps reach 70C and higher. I've noticed other websites don't cause as high a rise in temps. I also tried disabling hardware acceleration in my browser as well as switching between integrated and dedicated GPU, but neither of those seemed to have an effect on temps either.

I expect my T530 w/ i7-3820QM to run a bit hotter than my T500 w/ Core 2 Duo P8600, but to see 20C increase in temps seems a bit much.

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

On 11/24/2018 at 2:26 AM, YellowJersey said:

It was running cool before the update. I only noticed the high teps due to the fan spinning up a lot more than usual. I've cracked it open and given it a good cleaning, but that doesn't seem to stop the high temps. Reapplying the thermal compound is an interesting idea, particularly given that this is a 6 year old laptop (it's the T530 that has the problem). I'll investigate that route, though I'm a bit shy of messing with my CPU... I might see if Memory Express could do that for me.

One thing I did notice is that the temps spike when I go to check Gmail or Hotmail; that's when the temps reach 70C and higher. I've noticed other websites don't cause as high a rise in temps. I also tried disabling hardware acceleration in my browser as well as switching between integrated and dedicated GPU, but neither of those seemed to have an effect on temps either.

I expect my T530 w/ i7-3820QM to run a bit hotter than my T500 w/ Core 2 Duo P8600, but to see 20C increase in temps seems a bit much.

More specs? 

Also please try to monitoring the CPU usage, something like HTOP + lm-sensors so you can see if the temperature goes up w or w/o the CPU usage 

Ciukd be the the desktop is rendering on the cpu snd not the gpu though you normally get a pop up telling.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´