Jump to content
To encourage social distancing, you must leave two blank lines at the start and end of every post, and before and after every quote. Failure to comply may result in non-essential parts of the forum closing. Click for more details. ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
richbutpoor

Final Thoughts

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey Guys,

 

This is my final and first build, any thoughts on improvements? please let me know, cheers. I can get a 1tb ssd for 309 but wondering if its a good idea to have OS and games on the same thing if it corrupts of screws up.

 

Build:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it looks great, also theres not much that would go wrong with and os and games on the save drive, so go ahead and get the 1tb drive if you want


I might not know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna say it anyways

 

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig: Gigabyte Aero 15W v8-BK4 15"

CPU: Intel i7 8750-H 6-core

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4 2666 mHz

Storage: 512 m.2 nvme ssd

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry Mx Silent

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB, Steelseries Rival 600 

Headset: Philips SHP 9500

Dac/Amp: Peachtree Shift Portable

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, richbutpoor said:

 

Should get a case that acutally has airflow like a Fractal Design Focus G or anyhting with mesh

You can install windows for free

 

are you sure the bios is updated on that motherboard? otherwise it won't work until you're able to flash the bios.


I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...
 

Spoiler

 

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

 

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

 

What games or other software do you need to run?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

is the GTX 1070 TI still worth it with the RTX 2070 being out ?


I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BelgianNoise said:

is the GTX 1070 TI still worth it with the RTX 2070 being out ?

Well it's a lot cheaper most of the time, but that one's pretty pricey


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BelgianNoise said:

is the GTX 1070 TI still worth it with the RTX 2070 being out ?

I think he already has it


I might not know what I'm talking about but I'm gonna say it anyways

 

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig: Gigabyte Aero 15W v8-BK4 15"

CPU: Intel i7 8750-H 6-core

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4 2666 mHz

Storage: 512 m.2 nvme ssd

GPU: GTX 1060 6gb

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB Cherry Mx Silent

Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum RGB, Steelseries Rival 600 

Headset: Philips SHP 9500

Dac/Amp: Peachtree Shift Portable

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Should get a case that acutally has airflow like a Fractal Design Focus G or anyhting with mesh

You can install windows for free

 

are you sure the bios is updated on that motherboard? otherwise it won't work until you're able to flash the bios.

I need to flash the bios. True about windows. I really like the s340 elite cases :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, BelgianNoise said:

is the GTX 1070 TI still worth it with the RTX 2070 being out ?

In my country the 2070 is like $1000 - 1,100. There are no gtx 1080's & and if there were I would be scared of them having VRM issues and I am basically getting the gtx 1070ti for the price of which a 1070 costs in my country so I think it's alright, no ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

I think he already has it

I have no bought it yet, was asking the forums like crazy lol, they said I was basically seeking attention. But I can get a 1070 for around $630 in my currency but then I run the risk of having VRM issues and performance wise apparently the 1070ti can be auto clocked through evga software for the same performance as a stock 1080 so that's good right? or should I just buy the 1070 FTW for $630 and save $180?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, richbutpoor said:

Well, I'm glad you listened to my advice from your last thread where I said that was a huge waste of money...

 

Anyway, I saved you over $300 NZD by swapping out a few unnecessarily expensive parts, such as the RAM you had chosen that was $100 more expensive than other 3200MHz RAM, the aforementioned WD Black, the case, the CPU, and the PSU.
 

 

 


CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Well it's a lot cheaper most of the time, but that one's pretty pricey

Yeah tell me about it. It sucks becuase I was going to buy a evga gtx 1080ti ftw 3 but they EOL and no one stocks it in my country and I am unable to find one in my currency for the performance I am going to use it at.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Well, I'm glad you listened to my advice from your last thread where I said that was a huge waste of money...

 

Anyway, I saved you over $300 NZD by swapping out a few unnecessarily expensive parts, such as the RAM you had chosen that was $100 more expensive than other 3200MHz RAM, the aforementioned WD Black, the case, the CPU, and the PSU.
 

 

 

Cheers for that, just a few questions. Should I buy a 1tb ssd instead for $309? & isn't 3200mhz ram cl14 better than cl16 3200mhz?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richbutpoor said:

Cheers for that, just a few questions. Should I buy a 1tb ssd instead for $309? & isn't 3200mhz ram cl14 better than cl16 3200mhz?

for ram I would look for G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GVK since that's CL 14 still and under $200 on amazon right now

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, richbutpoor said:

Cheers for that, just a question. Should I buy a 1tb ssd instead for $309?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Guess that depends on what you're storing on the SSD.

As long as you're managing your storage properly by storing movies and pictures on the HDD, most people won't need that much space on the SSD. In my experience most games aren't going to see much benefit from being installed on SSDs anyway, so really you're best off only installing a couple of your favourite/most played games on there, and the rest on the HDD. IMO sweet spot is 250GB for just OS drive, or 500GB for OS + a few Games.

 

Just now, jonrosalia said:

for ram I would look for G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GVK since that's CL 14 still and under $200 on amazon right now

You know he's in New Zealand, right? The cheapest CL14 3200MHz kit starts at NZD $390... Not that he needs CL14 3200MHz memory, especially not when CL15/CL16 3000/3200MHz memory is $100 cheaper and they'll probably never notice the difference outside of running a memory benchmark test.


CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Guess that depends on what you're storing on the SSD.

As long as you're managing your storage properly by storing movies and pictures on the HDD, most people won't need that much space on the SSD. In my experience most games aren't going to see much benefit from being installed on SSDs anyway, so really you're best off only installing a couple of your favourite/most played games on there, and the rest on the HDD. IMO sweet spot is 250GB for just OS drive, or 500GB for OS + a few Games.

 

You know he's in New Zealand, right? The cheapest CL14 3200MHz kit starts at NZD $390... Not that he needs CL14 3200MHz memory, especially not when CL15/CL16 3000/3200MHz memory is $100 cheaper and they'll probably never notice the difference outside of running a memory benchmark test.

Hhahaha true I see your point. I think I will be better to just get a 250gb ssd and 1tb hdd. As far as ram is concerned you have a valid point. I can get cl 14 g.skill flare x 3200hz for $340 inlcuding shipping from new egg though :) saving $50 haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

You know he's in New Zealand, right? The cheapest CL14 3200MHz kit starts at NZD $390... Not that he needs CL14 3200MHz memory, especially not when CL15/CL16 3000/3200MHz memory is $100 cheaper and they'll probably never notice the difference outside of running a memory benchmark test.

amazon ships to New Zealand and Australia as of April.

I think that might become a go to if you can get parts through them for half the price of everyone else or is that all in taxes/fees and you cant fix the pricing?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, jonrosalia said:

amazon ships to New Zealand and Australia as of April.

I think that might become a go to if you can get parts through them for half the price of everyone else or is that all in taxes/fees and you cant fix the pricing?

It dependx on taxes and fees, it sometimes makes stuff more expensive but I will have a look. Any tips from buying directly from amazon instead of third party sellers? Do I just click amazon.com at the end on the left hand side and tada amazon is selling it to me ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, richbutpoor said:

It dependx on taxes and fees, it sometimes makes stuff more expensive but I will have a look. Any tips from buying directly from amazon instead of third party sellers? Do I just click amazon.com at the end on the left hand side and tada amazon is selling it to me ?

I wouldn't rule out third party on amazon since they ship anything anywhere and you may end up with a better deal along as they are willing to ship to you but I saw a article that they filtered out the results that cant be shipped to NZ or AU and have 45 million products they can still ship. I would check it  out worst case is you end up buying components elsewhere save what you can the prices are crazy on new builds now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, richbutpoor said:

Hhahaha true I see your point. I think I will be better to just get a 250gb ssd and 1tb hdd. As far as ram is concerned you have a valid point. I can get cl 14 g.skill flare x 3200hz for $340 inlcuding shipping from new egg though :) saving $50 haha

If you're buying from US and shipping over, you could get 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 RAM for under NZD$200 (including 15% GST).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231977&Description=2x8GB 3200MHz&cm_re=2x8GB_3200MHz-_-20-231-977-_-Product

 

Considering that's $100 NZD cheaper than buying locally, I'd recommend you actually look in to that. Looking at some other parts, there's a few other things you can get for considerably cheaper by buying from Newegg US as well. That 860 evo 1TB you wanted is $100 cheaper as well. Though there are other items that work out to be the same price anyway such as the WD Blue 1TB which is $66 vs $68.

 

https://www.newegg.com/global/nz-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147674&Description=860 evo&cm_re=860_evo-_-20-147-674-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/global/nz-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147673&Description=860 evo&cm_re=860_evo-_-20-147-673-_-Product

 

 

1 minute ago, jonrosalia said:

amazon ships to New Zealand and Australia as of April.

I think that might become a go to if you can get parts through them for half the price of everyone else or is that all in taxes/fees and you cant fix the pricing?

There's 15% sales tax in NZ. So with the currency conversion rate and tax, USD$200 ends up being almost NZD$350.

And not really, at least not for Australia... You used to be able to buy from Amazon.com, but then Amazon blocked it because of sales tax reasons... But then in the last few days they allowed it again. It's been kind of an issue here recently and not as clear cut. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-22/amazon-backflips-on-decision-to-block-australians-from-shipping/10520900

 

Just now, richbutpoor said:

It dependx on taxes and fees, it sometimes makes stuff more expensive but I will have a look. Any tips from buying directly from amazon instead of third party sellers? Do I just click amazon.com at the end on the left hand side and tada amazon is selling it to me ?

Check the seller information and it tells you if it is sold by Amazon or a third party. If you have Amazon Prime then just stick to stuff that offers Amazon Prime service, since you will get free international shipping on orders over $49 (or at least that's for Australia, not sure about NZ).


CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you're buying from US and shipping over, you could get 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 RAM for under NZD$200 (including 15% GST).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231977&Description=2x8GB 3200MHz&cm_re=2x8GB_3200MHz-_-20-231-977-_-Product

 

Considering that's $100 NZD cheaper than buying locally, I'd recommend you actually look in to that. Looking at some other parts, there's a few other things you can get for considerably cheaper by buying from Newegg US as well. That 860 evo 1TB you wanted is $100 cheaper as well. Though there are other items that work out to be the same price anyway such as the WD Blue 1TB which is $66 vs $68.

 

https://www.newegg.com/global/nz-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147674&Description=860 evo&cm_re=860_evo-_-20-147-674-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/global/nz-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147673&Description=860 evo&cm_re=860_evo-_-20-147-673-_-Product

 

 

There's 15% sales tax in NZ. So with the currency conversion rate and tax, USD$200 ends up being almost NZD$350.

And not really, at least not for Australia... You used to be able to buy from Amazon.com, but then Amazon blocked it because of sales tax reasons... But then in the last few days they allowed it again. It's been kind of an issue here recently and not as clear cut. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-22/amazon-backflips-on-decision-to-block-australians-from-shipping/10520900

 

Check the seller information and it tells you if it is sold by Amazon or a third party. If you have Amazon Prime then just stick to stuff that offers Amazon Prime service, since you will get free international shipping on orders over $49 (or at least that's for Australia, not sure about NZ).

Yeah, crazy amount of things going on. Factoring in the 15%GST is a pain, used to get stuff cheaper but now its sometimes more expensive to buy stuff online and ship it over or ends up being the same as NZ retailers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, jonrosalia said:

I wouldn't rule out third party on amazon since they ship anything anywhere and you may end up with a better deal along as they are willing to ship to you but I saw a article that they filtered out the results that cant be shipped to NZ or AU and have 45 million products they can still ship. I would check it  out worst case is you end up buying components elsewhere save what you can the prices are crazy on new builds now.

Yeah, I should of built my rig in the last two years when I was planning to but listening to some non experts I know irl cost me dearly lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, richbutpoor said:

Yeah, crazy amount of things going on. Factoring in the 15%GST is a pain, used to get stuff cheaper but now its sometimes more expensive to buy stuff online and ship it over or ends up being the same as NZ retailers.

Newegg US site will show you NZD prices with GST if you set your region to New Zealand in the top right hand corner of the site. Likely won't show shipping costs until you go to your cart and put in a postage address.

 

image.png.dfb02b8477809f61e9f3d22e7fd8fbaf.png


CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
29 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Newegg US site will show you NZD prices with GST if you set your region to New Zealand in the top right hand corner of the site. Likely won't show shipping costs until you go to your cart and put in a postage address.

 

image.png.dfb02b8477809f61e9f3d22e7fd8fbaf.png

Yeah that's what I meant I check in NZD but factoring in shipping it usally ends up the same.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×