Final Thoughts

richbutpoor

Hey Guys,

This is my final and first build, any thoughts on improvements? please let me know, cheers. I can get a 1tb ssd for 309 but wondering if its a good idea to have OS and games on the same thing if it corrupts of screws up.

Build:

Yeah it looks great, also theres not much that would go wrong with and os and games on the save drive, so go ahead and get the 1tb drive if you want

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

10 minutes ago, richbutpoor said:

Should get a case that acutally has airflow like a Fractal Design Focus G or anyhting with mesh

You can install windows for free

are you sure the bios is updated on that motherboard? otherwise it won't work until you're able to flash the bios.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

is the GTX 1070 TI still worth it with the RTX 2070 being out ?

I am here to learn, please correct me if im wrong or you see me putting bs on your screen!

2 minutes ago, BelgianNoise said:

Well it's a lot cheaper most of the time, but that one's pretty pricey

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, BelgianNoise said:

I think he already has it

Try using the PSU Tier List! 

How to reset the bios/clear the cmos

My current rig:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x

Ram: 1x16gb DDR4, 2x8gb DDR4

Storage: 1tb nvme ssd

GPU: gtx 3080

Monitor: 23.8" Dell S2417DG 144hz g-sync 1440p + 27" Acer S271HL 60 Hz 1080p

Keyboard: ducky one I | I SF

Mouse: gpro wireless | glorious model o2 wireless

Sound : beyerdynamic 1990 pro | Monoprice liquid spark (amp) + topping d10 (dac)

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Should get a case that acutally has airflow like a Fractal Design Focus G or anyhting with mesh

You can install windows for free

are you sure the bios is updated on that motherboard? otherwise it won't work until you're able to flash the bios.

I need to flash the bios. True about windows. I really like the s340 elite cases :)

4 minutes ago, BelgianNoise said:

In my country the 2070 is like $1000 - 1,100. There are no gtx 1080's & and if there were I would be scared of them having VRM issues and I am basically getting the gtx 1070ti for the price of which a 1070 costs in my country so I think it's alright, no ?

2 minutes ago, hconverse02 said:

I think he already has it

I have no bought it yet, was asking the forums like crazy lol, they said I was basically seeking attention. But I can get a 1070 for around $630 in my currency but then I run the risk of having VRM issues and performance wise apparently the 1070ti can be auto clocked through evga software for the same performance as a stock 1080 so that's good right? or should I just buy the 1070 FTW for $630 and save $180?

22 minutes ago, richbutpoor said:

Well, I'm glad you listened to my advice from your last thread where I said that was a huge waste of money...

Anyway, I saved you over $300 NZD by swapping out a few unnecessarily expensive parts, such as the RAM you had chosen that was $100 more expensive than other 3200MHz RAM, the aforementioned WD Black, the case, the CPU, and the PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Well it's a lot cheaper most of the time, but that one's pretty pricey

Yeah tell me about it. It sucks becuase I was going to buy a evga gtx 1080ti ftw 3 but they EOL and no one stocks it in my country and I am unable to find one in my currency for the performance I am going to use it at.

7 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Well, I'm glad you listened to my advice from your last thread where I said that was a huge waste of money...

Anyway, I saved you over $300 NZD by swapping out a few unnecessarily expensive parts, such as the RAM you had chosen that was $100 more expensive than other 3200MHz RAM, the aforementioned WD Black, the case, the CPU, and the PSU.

Cheers for that, just a few questions. Should I buy a 1tb ssd instead for $309? & isn't 3200mhz ram cl14 better than cl16 3200mhz?

1 minute ago, richbutpoor said:

Cheers for that, just a few questions. Should I buy a 1tb ssd instead for $309? & isn't 3200mhz ram cl14 better than cl16 3200mhz?

for ram I would look for G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GVK since that's CL 14 still and under $200 on amazon right now

1 minute ago, richbutpoor said:

Cheers for that, just a question. Should I buy a 1tb ssd instead for $309?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Guess that depends on what you're storing on the SSD.

As long as you're managing your storage properly by storing movies and pictures on the HDD, most people won't need that much space on the SSD. In my experience most games aren't going to see much benefit from being installed on SSDs anyway, so really you're best off only installing a couple of your favourite/most played games on there, and the rest on the HDD. IMO sweet spot is 250GB for just OS drive, or 500GB for OS + a few Games.

Just now, jonrosalia said:

for ram I would look for G.Skill 16GB (2 x 8GB) Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 3200MHz Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GVK since that's CL 14 still and under $200 on amazon right now

You know he's in New Zealand, right? The cheapest CL14 3200MHz kit starts at NZD $390... Not that he needs CL14 3200MHz memory, especially not when CL15/CL16 3000/3200MHz memory is $100 cheaper and they'll probably never notice the difference outside of running a memory benchmark test.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Guess that depends on what you're storing on the SSD.

As long as you're managing your storage properly by storing movies and pictures on the HDD, most people won't need that much space on the SSD. In my experience most games aren't going to see much benefit from being installed on SSDs anyway, so really you're best off only installing a couple of your favourite/most played games on there, and the rest on the HDD. IMO sweet spot is 250GB for just OS drive, or 500GB for OS + a few Games.

You know he's in New Zealand, right? The cheapest CL14 3200MHz kit starts at NZD $390... Not that he needs CL14 3200MHz memory, especially not when CL15/CL16 3000/3200MHz memory is $100 cheaper and they'll probably never notice the difference outside of running a memory benchmark test.

Hhahaha true I see your point. I think I will be better to just get a 250gb ssd and 1tb hdd. As far as ram is concerned you have a valid point. I can get cl 14 g.skill flare x 3200hz for $340 inlcuding shipping from new egg though :) saving $50 haha

14 minutes ago, Spotty said:

amazon ships to New Zealand and Australia as of April.

I think that might become a go to if you can get parts through them for half the price of everyone else or is that all in taxes/fees and you cant fix the pricing?

Just now, jonrosalia said:

I think that might become a go to if you can get parts through them for half the price of everyone else or is that all in taxes/fees and you cant fix the pricing?

It dependx on taxes and fees, it sometimes makes stuff more expensive but I will have a look. Any tips from buying directly from amazon instead of third party sellers? Do I just click amazon.com at the end on the left hand side and tada amazon is selling it to me ?

2 minutes ago, richbutpoor said:

It dependx on taxes and fees, it sometimes makes stuff more expensive but I will have a look. Any tips from buying directly from amazon instead of third party sellers? Do I just click amazon.com at the end on the left hand side and tada amazon is selling it to me ?

I wouldn't rule out third party on amazon since they ship anything anywhere and you may end up with a better deal along as they are willing to ship to you but I saw a article that they filtered out the results that cant be shipped to NZ or AU and have 45 million products they can still ship. I would check it  out worst case is you end up buying components elsewhere save what you can the prices are crazy on new builds now.

4 minutes ago, richbutpoor said:

Hhahaha true I see your point. I think I will be better to just get a 250gb ssd and 1tb hdd. As far as ram is concerned you have a valid point. I can get cl 14 g.skill flare x 3200hz for $340 inlcuding shipping from new egg though :) saving $50 haha

If you're buying from US and shipping over, you could get 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 RAM for under NZD$200 (including 15% GST).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231977&Description=2x8GB 3200MHz&cm_re=2x8GB_3200MHz-_-20-231-977-_-Product

Considering that's $100 NZD cheaper than buying locally, I'd recommend you actually look in to that. Looking at some other parts, there's a few other things you can get for considerably cheaper by buying from Newegg US as well. That 860 evo 1TB you wanted is $100 cheaper as well. Though there are other items that work out to be the same price anyway such as the WD Blue 1TB which is $66 vs $68.

https://www.newegg.com/global/nz-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147674&Description=860 evo&cm_re=860_evo-_-20-147-674-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/global/nz-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147673&Description=860 evo&cm_re=860_evo-_-20-147-673-_-Product

1 minute ago, jonrosalia said:

There's 15% sales tax in NZ. So with the currency conversion rate and tax, USD$200 ends up being almost NZD$350.

And not really, at least not for Australia... You used to be able to buy from Amazon.com, but then Amazon blocked it because of sales tax reasons... But then in the last few days they allowed it again. It's been kind of an issue here recently and not as clear cut. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-22/amazon-backflips-on-decision-to-block-australians-from-shipping/10520900

Just now, richbutpoor said:

Check the seller information and it tells you if it is sold by Amazon or a third party. If you have Amazon Prime then just stick to stuff that offers Amazon Prime service, since you will get free international shipping on orders over $49 (or at least that's for Australia, not sure about NZ).

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you're buying from US and shipping over, you could get 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 RAM for under NZD$200 (including 15% GST).

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231977&Description=2x8GB 3200MHz&cm_re=2x8GB_3200MHz-_-20-231-977-_-Product

Considering that's $100 NZD cheaper than buying locally, I'd recommend you actually look in to that. Looking at some other parts, there's a few other things you can get for considerably cheaper by buying from Newegg US as well. That 860 evo 1TB you wanted is $100 cheaper as well. Though there are other items that work out to be the same price anyway such as the WD Blue 1TB which is $66 vs $68.

https://www.newegg.com/global/nz-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147674&Description=860 evo&cm_re=860_evo-_-20-147-674-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/global/nz-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147673&Description=860 evo&cm_re=860_evo-_-20-147-673-_-Product

There's 15% sales tax in NZ. So with the currency conversion rate and tax, USD$200 ends up being almost NZD$350.

And not really, at least not for Australia... You used to be able to buy from Amazon.com, but then Amazon blocked it because of sales tax reasons... But then in the last few days they allowed it again. It's been kind of an issue here recently and not as clear cut. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-22/amazon-backflips-on-decision-to-block-australians-from-shipping/10520900

Check the seller information and it tells you if it is sold by Amazon or a third party. If you have Amazon Prime then just stick to stuff that offers Amazon Prime service, since you will get free international shipping on orders over $49 (or at least that's for Australia, not sure about NZ).

Yeah, crazy amount of things going on. Factoring in the 15%GST is a pain, used to get stuff cheaper but now its sometimes more expensive to buy stuff online and ship it over or ends up being the same as NZ retailers.

4 minutes ago, jonrosalia said:

I wouldn't rule out third party on amazon since they ship anything anywhere and you may end up with a better deal along as they are willing to ship to you but I saw a article that they filtered out the results that cant be shipped to NZ or AU and have 45 million products they can still ship. I would check it  out worst case is you end up buying components elsewhere save what you can the prices are crazy on new builds now.

Yeah, I should of built my rig in the last two years when I was planning to but listening to some non experts I know irl cost me dearly lol.

Just now, richbutpoor said:

Yeah, crazy amount of things going on. Factoring in the 15%GST is a pain, used to get stuff cheaper but now its sometimes more expensive to buy stuff online and ship it over or ends up being the same as NZ retailers.

Newegg US site will show you NZD prices with GST if you set your region to New Zealand in the top right hand corner of the site. Likely won't show shipping costs until you go to your cart and put in a postage address.

image.png.dfb02b8477809f61e9f3d22e7fd8fbaf.png

29 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Newegg US site will show you NZD prices with GST if you set your region to New Zealand in the top right hand corner of the site. Likely won't show shipping costs until you go to your cart and put in a postage address.

image.png.dfb02b8477809f61e9f3d22e7fd8fbaf.png

Yeah that's what I meant I check in NZD but factoring in shipping it usally ends up the same.