I’m planning to get this laptop MSI GP63 Leopard 8RF (question about thermals)

It's a rather thicc laptop, looks plenty breathable to me. If it were a thin and light I'd be worried

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I bought a laptop similar to that one a couple years ago. It should be fine, depending on where you live. If you live in a hot climate, invest in some noise cancelling headphones, because those fans are gonna want to spin up almost all the time, and even more under medium to heavy loads. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

GP63 has excellent cooling, however it might throttle a bit in the 1070 model. Do undervolt on both CPU+GPU. FYI it has the same cooling with GE63 8RF

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

5 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

GP63 has excellent cooling, however it might throttle a bit in the 1070 model. Do undervolt on both CPU+GPU. FYI it has the same cooling with GE63 8RF

Also you think if I replace the thermal paste with a better one, plus under volt. You think I can drop those extra 5c?

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

For the price, you can't beat it.  But, there are 2 issues with this laptop.  One, be ready for MSI bloatware.  Two, the casing is where they kinda cheaped out.  If you open it things might not line up properly and can easily break.

Sorry for my ignorance, but can I get rid of bloatware with a new clean windows installation?

If windows won't remove it just dl and use iobit's uninstaller.  Just don't install their Advanced System Care thing.  That's just placeboware.  

I’ll probably just do a clean windows installation  from usb fuk it :)

That works too.

Thank for the reply’s btw ?

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

No problem.  Even Tech Jesus/Steve at Gamer's Nexus did a video on the bloatware.

Ah quick question if I do a clean install do my touchpad drivers get uninstalled so I need to install them manually in order to use it ?

30 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Probably more with mx-4 or kryo/hydronaut and no undervolting.

Never use mx-4 in a bare die application. It will pump out in under a week.

10 hours ago, ohyebabe said:

Also you think if I replace the thermal paste with a better one, plus under volt. You think I can drop those extra 5c?

Sure

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

10 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

mx-4

Terrible choice in laptop, can dry out quickly

10 hours ago, ohyebabe said:

Ah quick question if I do a clean install do my touchpad drivers get uninstalled so I need to install them manually in order to use it ?

Use Windows Update, should have most drivers installed

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 11/23/2018 at 5:07 AM, valdyrgramr said:

Hm, never had that happen.  I've also been searching around with no source on what you two are claiming. 

Quick update got my PC yesterday and the temps are really good amanaged to undervolt -0.120 and it’s running really nice no thermal throttling at all. I’ve used prime 95 for stress test 

On 11/22/2018 at 10:07 PM, valdyrgramr said:

Hm, never had that happen.  I've also been searching around with no source on what you two are claiming. 

Look up bare die thermal paste comparison the test was done on a delidded cpu, but same concept. Although from personal experience the performance degrades faster than any other thermal paste out there when used on a bare die nth1 pumps out very quickly as well.

Ic diamond and ceramique seem to be fairly resistant to pump out, or there is liquid metal.

48 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

nth1 pumps out very quickly as well

I agree with this, however many ppl don't think so

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

snip

Look into NBR forums. Also ask laptop enthusiasts like @D2ultima

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

9 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

I am reading through a thread now, and the answers are pretty bipolar about it from the same people.  So, ya...I'll wait for what that guy you tagged has to say too...

GE series 8th gen has polarizing reports no matter what I check. Haven't had any concrete information about the GP series.

One thing is that MSI tends to have AC DC loadline set badly by default and it causes way too much processor voltage under load, and if you change that in the BIOS then you get a lot better thermals, but I am unsure if this affects the GP/GE series.

If I'm gonna be really honest though, when it comes to laptops, the super cheap ones with high specs... you pay for what you get. I've seen GP63s with 8750H/1070N/144Hz cheaper than good 8750H/1060N/144Hz units, and that sends me a little bit of warning bells. If OP wants to try it, then cool. Repaste and undervolt is about as best as he'll get, and checking the AC/DC loadline in BIOS if it's present. But OP should know it's a gamble.

Just remember: anybody saying the unit is good and UNWILLING TO PROVIDE PROOF is to be completely ignored, end of story. You want them to provide video footage with real-time statistics of performance during tests, because I could sit here and say that my laptop sits under 60c GPU and at 70c CPU under max CPU/GPU load in games all day long but unless I provide screenshots or video footage with sufficient data I could be talking out my cowhole and you'd have no way of knowing.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

9 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

I am reading through a thread now, and the answers are pretty bipolar about it from the same people.  So, ya...I'll wait for what that guy you tagged has to say too...

Honestly there are tons of articles about the pump out effect and why it happens. I'm not going to link those, but they are very interesting.

NBR has alot of good information. Anything positive you read about mx5 on a bare die is from someone who has applied it within 6 months.

You said you applied it to 2 laptops. I encourage you to leave it and test it. Almost guaranteed within 6 months it will creep back to where it was before you repasted.

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

We were talking about using mx-4 that's why you were tagged.  As for the laptop in question, I was just going off reviews by people like Linus.  Not a huge fan of MSI myself.

Honestly, I've sold them off a while ago.  I went to NBR, and the people talking about it were kinda bipolar about it.  Like the biggest person complaining about it changed his mind like a day later.  Then went back to complaining then not complaining.  So, I'm kinda confused if they like using it or not.  Almost every thread I've seen on there after in my search of "mx-4" was people praising MX-4 on there yet saying IC diamond and some other ones were better, but didn't have complaints about mx-4 after that.  That was going through pages and pages of threads.  I can ask one of the guys I sold one of the laptops later about temps, though.

MX-4 is horrible for laptops due to the low mounting pressure and high thermal density of the parts (CPUs mainly, but 1080s also have this). I did not realize that's why I'd been tagged.

Linus does not seem to review units properly once again. His review of units like the Acer Nitro 5 leaving out hard thermal issues are a prime example. If you are planning to get the GP63 unit, go off what I said, and be prepared to return it if it fails to deliver (which I expect it to do, honestly).

As for NBR... users like HMScott, Deks and Danishblunt are to be completely ignored. There are a lot of fanboys that produce incorrect information about the units from the line they care about, like Danishblunt insisting it's impossible to get a cold-running Clevo (my earlier screenshot disproves this) and that MSI units are the way to go for everything.

As for thermal pastes, here's the rundown:

• Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut: The only liquid metal you should consider.
  • Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut: The best non-conductive paste available. It REQUIRES a flat heatsink with good contact; if your heatsink is scratched, warped, or contact is not tight, you are better off with mayonnaise.
  • Gelid GC Extreme: Doesn't have a long shelf life in the bottle; have heard it may require heating up to apply. Good performance, on par with IC Diamond and Kryonaut.
  • IC DIamond: Probably the best overall paste for laptops. Great with scratched/warped/otherwise-non-perfect heatsinks/contact. Very close to Kryonaut in performance, though Kryonaut can still save a degree or two in extreme cases. DO NOT SCRUB OFF. This paste requires soaking and gently wiping off, as the instructions (which nobody reads) say. If you scrub it with an alcohol pad you will scratch and potentially damage your heatsink and/or chip die, and it will be your fault, and you will try to blame not-you, but it will be your fault. It is possible to have mirror surfaces on dies after removing this, and it happens every time I do it. Arcticlean kits help a lot more than alcohol for this. It is still a pain to remove, but it is SAFE to remove.
  • Cooler Master Nano Gel Maker: I hear good things. It ain't better than the above pastes, but it's not bad either.
  • Arctic Céramiqué 2: SUPER CHEAP. 25G tube for like $8 on Amazon. Not a bad paste, is a "filler" type like IC Diamond. Very good for multiple laptops and multiple attempts at paste jobs. Kind of sticky.
  • MX-4: Explained above, don't use.
  • NT-H1: Similar to MX-4, does not work well without high mounting pressure. Much more prone to pump-out.
  • Arctic Silver Glue 5: As the name suggests, becomes glue some time after bonding. Might actually damage boards or flimsy heatsinks when trying to remove after some time has passed. Do not use.

That's about all the pastes you'll hear about most of the time.Good luck picking one to use.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

To be honest, I don't really use mx-4 much other than a backup paste as I've been using hydronaut on my TR build and others.  I generally avoid MSI due to the fact that since Haswell their boards have had equal failure rates to Biostar, and personally, I prefer clevo resellers for laptops now like Eluktronics and Pro-Star.  MSI makes some decent GPUs if you avoid Armor Editions and Blowers by them.  Another thing that puts me off from their laptops is the 50 shades of bloatware preinstalled the Tech Jesus went over.  This one, as I said, didn't seem that bad due to some reviews.  Lastly ya, I've heard of the Nitro heat issues from Dave Lee.

Honestly you might as well ignore Dave2D too. He has faked benchmarks and reviewed the same laptop twice under a different branding and given them completely different reviews, the TongFang that's branded as Eluktronics' Mech 15 G2 and Walmart's OP15. He is a shill and doesn't really actually use the units he "reviews" as it is apparent. Whoever pays him to make it sound good gets the good reviews it would seem.

If you want actual reviews, find people, or come to the /r/suggestalaptop discord server where people actually do the checking (because I bug them to do it properly) and I made the bot warn people before buying crap. It's great.

Anyway, yeah. I would use AC2 or ICD over Hydronaut though. Though if your maximum temps are very low (<70°C) then paste does not matter as much.