Phishing Emails & YouTube Messages - Fake Giveaway Read more... ×
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VegetableStu

Apple reportedly slashing iPhone XR prices (in Japan) and restarting iPhone X production (insane)

12 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It’s $749 btw. I think they should bring it down to $700, but not lower than that. $600 is a little ridiculous for an innovated LCD assembly like that. Curved and edge to edge with no chin. That’s unique. 

Honestly I think the XR doesn't make much sense. It's supposed to be budget oriented yet it is till priced so high. I think the 8 seems like the better phone seeing as it has no notch. 

I thought Apple was infallible and everything always goes as planned?

Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

8 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

Honestly I think the XR doesn't make much sense. It's supposed to be budget oriented yet it is till priced so high. I think the 8 seems like the better phone seeing as it has no notch. 

iPhone XR isn’t the budget iPhone, it’s the default iPhone. 

The 8 isn’t a better phone by any objective measure. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 6s Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 8GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

On 11/22/2018 at 4:26 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Apple cutting back on orders doesn't inherently mean demand is down, it is equally possible that they hit their peak demand and are now scaling back to normal shipment levels. With no hard numbers its impossible to know the gravity of what "cutting back" means. 

and why don't we have hard numbers, wans't it usual for Apple to boast about sales by now?

1 hour ago, asus killer said:

and why don't we have hard numbers, wans't it usual for Apple to boast about sales by now?

Apple did report iPhone sales with its latest quarterly results on November 1st, but that isn't going to represent iPhone XR sales or even XS sales (since the XS was only available for the last week or two of that quarter).  And it recently said it would stop providing metrics for a lot of device sales in favor of revenue and maybe announcing relative figures.

That does acknowledge that iPhone sales probably aren't going to be outstanding, but it won't necessarily be a flop.  Rather it's that Apple knows the smartphone market is heavily saturated and that investors will rake it over the coals if it keeps dwelling on units rather than overall profitability.  You'll get a clearer picture of how things are faring when Apple reports its holiday quarter sales in early 2019.

And to be clear, this isn't an Apple-only problem.  Samsung has been facing a rough patch of its own, since its flagship phone sales haven't been strong enough to offset declines in its low-end and mid-range models.  The issue is that there are both relatively few new customers and that people are increasingly satisfied with the phones they have.  In that climate, it doesn't matter as much whether a phone costs $649, $749 or $999... if you have no inclination to upgrade, lowered prices don't mean much.

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

iPhone XR isn’t the budget iPhone, it’s the default iPhone. 

The 8 isn’t a better phone by any objective measure. 

I don't know. I'd argue the iPhone XS is the standard iPhone, because the iPhone XR is full of compromises...

Personally, I wouldn't buy the XR, I'd wait a few more months and save the money for a XS or XS Max. But, I'm not every customer.

12 minutes ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I don't know. I'd argue the iPhone XS is the standard iPhone, because the iPhone XR is full of compromises...

I personally don’t see how. It’s got the same SoC as the XS, the same main camera, better battery life, color options, and it’s cheaper. 

Anyone who sees the XR in person loves the display, and the lack of 3D Touch probably goes unnoticed considering people are only just finding out now that you can do cool stuff with it and 3D Touch has been around for 3 years. 

I’d gladly take a XR and save $250 with the only trade offs being the telephoto lens and 3D Touch. 

Laptop: 2016 13" nTB MacBook Pro Core i5 | Phone: iPhone 6s Plus 64GB Wearables: Apple Watch Sport Series 2 CPU: R5 2600 | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 8GB 2666 | GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 4GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 10 | Storage: 480GB PNY SSD & 2TB WD Green HDD | PSU: Corsair CX600M | Display: Dell UZ2215H 21.5" 1080p, ViewSonic VX2450wm-LED 23.6" 1080p, Samsung SyncMaster 940BX 19" 1024p | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G303 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball

24 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I personally don’t see how. It’s got the same SoC as the XS, the same main camera, better battery life, color options, and it’s cheaper. 

Anyone who sees the XR in person loves the display, and the lack of 3D Touch probably goes unnoticed considering people are only just finding out now that you can do cool stuff with it and 3D Touch has been around for 3 years. 

I’d gladly take a XR and save $250 with the only trade offs being the telephoto lens and 3D Touch. 

I mean, I still disagree but you make good points. For me I think the product will last me longer if I go for the more expensive model, even if it's just the display is viable for longer. Longevity is key for me personally.

6 hours ago, ZacoAttaco said:

I mean, I still disagree but you make good points. For me I think the product will last me longer if I go for the more expensive model, even if it's just the display is viable for longer. Longevity is key for me personally.

Maybe, but given that OLED displays will inevitably fall to burn-in, I see the XRs LCD as the option that would last the longest, well at least longer than the standard XS. 

32 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Maybe, but given that OLED displays will inevitably fall to burn-in, I see the XRs LCD as the option that would last the longest, well at least longer than the standard XS. 

You do realise right that with modern Apple products, the rest of the device will be long dead well before any decent OLED screen.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

You do realise right that with modern Apple products, the rest of the device will be long dead well before any decent OLED screen.

The display won’t die, but it will start to become gross to look at. 

Also “modern” Apple products can easily last a decade. lol 

Apple reportedly slashing iPhone XR prices (in Japan) and restarting iPhone X production (insane)

Well at least they are pro-active and have the cash flow to do some interesting moves. They forsee something, and they do not want their stock prices to go down.

Rip.thread

2 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

The display won’t die, but it will start to become gross to look at. 

Not when its difficult to get replacement parts.

PMSL

Just now, Dabombinable said:

Not when its difficult to get replacement parts.

Don’t break your phone and you won’t need replacement parts, lol. If you think it’s difficult to get parts for an iPhone, try getting parts for anything else that isn’t a Samsung phone. 

Also Apple has vintage repair programs now so you’ll probably be able to get first party service if Right to Repair fails. 

13 hours ago, Commodus said:

And it recently said it would stop providing metrics for a lot of device sales in favor of revenue and maybe announcing relative figures.

Companies like to brag about sales as long as they are happy with the numbers. They switch to revenue when the sales go down. Blizzard did the same with their subscriber numbers for WoW.

53 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Don’t break your phone and you won’t need replacement parts, lol. 

>_>

I hope you know that some people, even when they take good care of their phones, would probably still want replacement parts sometime down the road. 

Like my old iPhone 4S. Needed a new WiFi antenna even though it's been babied like hell. Or my HTC One M7, which needed a new camera module even though the phone has never been messed up. 

Please tag me if you need assistance or if you want me to contribute to a topic 

ASUS RoG STRIX GL502VM

Intel Core i7 7700HQ | GeForce GTX 1060 6GB | 16GB DDR4-2133 | 128GB SanDisk M.2 SATA SSD + 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD | 15.6" 1080p IPS monitor @ 60Hz w/ G-SYNC | Windows 10 64-bit

Samsung Galaxy Note8 SM-N950F

Exynos 8895 (4x Mongoose @ 2.3GHz, 4x Cortex A53 @ 1.7GHz)ARM Mali G71 MP20 | 6GB LPDDR4 | 64GB Samsung NAND flash w/ UFS 2.1 dual-lane controller + 128GB SanDisk C10 UHS-I microSD | 6.3" 1440p "Infinity Display" AMOLED | Android Nougat 7.1.1 w/ Samsung Experience 8.5

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

Don’t break your phone and you won’t need replacement parts, lol. If you think it’s difficult to get parts for an iPhone, try getting parts for anything else that isn’t a Samsung phone. 

Also Apple has vintage repair programs now so you’ll probably be able to get first party service if Right to Repair fails. 

Have you seen the models covered? Also as pointed out above, even those who take good care would need replacement parts down the road. Eg. Batteries (which are now glued in so they are a PITA to replace)

PMSL

1 hour ago, DrMacintosh said:

If you think it’s difficult to get parts for an iPhone, try getting parts for anything else that isn’t a Samsung phone. 

Huawei seems reasonably easy...

Sony seems reasonably easy...

Xiaomi is somewhat limited but still get the main components...

Google pixel appears tl be fairly reasonably, though doesnt seem to cover everything...

I am looking at flagship deviceses though, but it doesnt seem that difficult to get parts for a whole range of popular phones.

29 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Huawei seems reasonably easy...

Sony seems reasonably easy...

Xiaomi is somewhat limited but still get the main components...

Google pixel appears tl be fairly reasonably, though doesnt seem to cover everything...

I am looking at flagship deviceses though, but it doesnt seem that difficult to get parts for a whole range of popular phones.

I’d like to know where you’re looking. 

4 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

It's a good thing that @Dabombinable quoted that, because I normally don't read anything to the right of your avatar anymore.  Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

Now let's look at some modern iPhones, shall we?

- iPhone 6 (and 6+, and 6s etc etc) : Bad design and material choice made the phones prone to bending.  Those that didn't permanently bend still flexed to the point that chips on the motherboard eventually came loose, resulting in what is now known as "touch disease".  

Assuming your iPhone 6 hasn't suffered from that yet, it's throttled down by now to compensate for Apple's refusal to put decent batteries in their phones.  So those who still use an iPhone 6 either have to buy a new battery (and hope that the installation doesn't trigger touch disease) or live with an unbearably slow phone.  Many have already "upgraded" because of this.

- iPhone 7 (and 7+, 7s etc) : This time the phones started boot looping as the audio chip would come loose.  That chip is in the exact same position as the chip controlling the touchscreen in the 6 series.  This is caused yet again by flexing of the body, the exact same flaw that caused touch disease on the previous generation!

How fucking stupid do you have to be to make a phone that has a major structural flaw and then release the next generation without properly tackling the problem?

This generation is also affected by the battery throttling thing, so owners by now either have to get a new battery, a new phone or live with one that's throttled down.

- iPhone 8 and X : The batteries are so small that these phones are going through charge cycles like crazy.  As of iOS 12.1, people who used their phones intensively are already being throttled due to this.  Of course they can now disable that, but that still doesn't change the fact that Apple keeps putting crap batteries in their phones.  To get 10 years out of that, you'll need to replace the battery probably 3 or 4 times, assuming no other major problems surface in the near future.

Seriously, it's been a long time since Apple made a good phone.  Apart from perhaps the SE, I can't think of a single iPhone released in the past 5 years that didn't turn out to be complete garbage with major design flaws and planned obsolescence which practically forces you to "upgrade" every 2-3 years. 

The only way you'll get to use a modern iPhone 10 years after you purchased it, is by setting it up on day 1, turning it off again and putting it back in the box for the next 9 years and 364 days.   

As for your comment about the XR ...

On 11/22/2018 at 9:13 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Curved and edge to edge with no chin. That’s unique. 

I guess that depends on your definition of "edge to edge".  The glass may come close to the edge, but the screen definitely doesn't. 

Thanks to the enormous bezels all around, the XR only has a 79% screen to body ratio.  The Galaxy S8, which is around a year and a half older, has around 84% even with a chin and a full top section (so no notch to mess up your movie/gaming experience).

59 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Have you seen the models covered?

Yeah, it goes back to the iPhone 5. Anything beyond that you could literally get a replacement iPhone 5 for cheaper than a repair would be. 

If thats still too much money then I think you’ve got bigger problems to worry about....but Apple is going to be expanding the program apparently regardless. 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

I’d like to know where you’re looking. 

Well since i dont have a lot of time at my hand my good friend google is really nice.

Also Ebay is allways an option.

2 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Assuming your iPhone 6 hasn't suffered from that yet, it's throttled down by now to compensate for Apple's refusal to put decent batteries in their phones.

For the record I have a 6s Plus, and further all “throttling” is able to be opted-out by the user. And no, my phone was never throttled. After 2+ years the battery was still at 82% capacity. I replaced it about 2 months ago for $30. 

Trying to refute any other points of yours beyond my objective user experience (not hearsay or overblown media “coverage”) would be a waste of everyone’s time. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Well since i dont have a lot of time at my hand my good friend google is really nice.

Also Ebay is allways an option.

So those same parts can be by extension found for iPhones. If anything iPhones are easier to find parts for since there are only a handful of models per year and are so mass produced. 

Thanks for clearing that up.