Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 still good?

Zandvliet

Hi all,

I'm thinking about getting the Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 for 165 euros and was wondering if this is still a good deal even though the router is about 2 years old.

Are there any better ones for this price range? 

Cheers.

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

A lot depends on your setup. Are you mainly going to be using ethernet or wireless? How big is your house? If it is a large house and you are using mainly wireless, you might be better off going with a mesh wifi setup. 

If you plan on gaming, I would also plan on having your gaming machine (PC, console, etc) connected via ethernet, so this might affect your placement of the router if you can not run ethernet to other areas of the house and thus your overall solution might be different.

5 hours ago, Onoria said:

A lot depends on your setup. Are you mainly going to be using ethernet or wireless? How big is your house? If it is a large house and you are using mainly wireless, you might be better off going with a mesh wifi setup. 

If you plan on gaming, I would also plan on having your gaming machine (PC, console, etc) connected via ethernet, so this might affect your placement of the router if you can not run ethernet to other areas of the house and thus your overall solution might be different.

Both ethernet and wireless. I've got my main pc on ethernet and an htpc on wireless, along with an AVR. The house isn't that large so that's not my concern.

I was just wondering is there is a better model out there for a similar price.

Cheers.

"To the wise, life is a problem; to the fool, a solution" (Marcus Aurelius)

5 hours ago, Zandvliet said:

Both ethernet and wireless. I've got my main pc on ethernet and an htpc on wireless, along with an AVR. The house isn't that large so that's not my concern.

I was just wondering is there is a better model out there for a similar price.

Cheers.

In which case I think the R7800 is still a solid option at a good price point.