To Android users in the forum: is there an Android equivalent of the following iOS features?

captain_to_fire

As the title implies, are there any native (not third party solution) Android equivalents of the following iOS features?

• AirDrop - transferring of files between an iPhone, iPad and a Mac 
  • Cloud syncing and back up of text messages (exists in iOS 5 in 2011)
  • Backing up of app data to the cloud (also exists in iOS 5 way back in 2011)
  • system wide dictionary 
  • Native screen recording

I can give up iMessage and FaceTime and even timely software updates 

I’m up for an upgrade in Q1 2019 and to be honest I’m a bit disappointed with Apple’s 2018 iPhone line up not because of software because iOS 12 is amazing imo but the pricing of the iPhones lately and the kind of hardware you’re getting. I’d really like to switch back to Android but those are the five iOS features that I often use. It would be nice if any Android phone  has all of those. 

Edited by captain_to_fire

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

5 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

are there any native (not third party solution) Android equivalents of the following iOS features?

basically you can think of android native = google phones only

and best thing of it is that nothing is comprehensive. but I am sure there are many 3rd party apps does the same job you mentioned. its much easier and convenient than you think

Airdroid is what i use to transfer files, sync notifications, text from computer and screenrecord from my computer. im using the free version and havent run out of the data you have there yet.

not quite sure what a system wide dictionary is but there is probably something like that, if not nativly, as an app

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

8 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

not quite sure what a system wide dictionary is

It means that I can just pick a word and look up at its definitions anytime regardless whatever app I’m using and it’s built in to the OS. It works not just in English but in other languages as well including ones that doesn’t use the latin script.

E53A0B72-3C6D-409B-9981-8C48569DB663.jpeg

Edited by captain_to_fire

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

It means that I can just pick a word and look up at its definitions anytime regardless whatever app I’m using and it’s built in to the OS. 

well thats kinda a thing. when you mark a word you can press "web search" to google it

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well thats kinda a thing. when you mark a word you can press "web search" to google it

The one on iOS works even without internet connection 

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

well android also dosnt need 8+gb of your storage to be installed :) and really when do you need to look up a word you read locally on your phone? anyway there are probably some dictionary app that intergrates nicely, but i cant name one for you as this is a feature i have never really put to use

Builds:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well android also dosnt need 8+gb of your storage to be installed :) and really when do you need to look up a word you read locally on your phone? anyway there are probably some dictionary app that intergrates nicely, but i cant name one for you as this is a feature i have never really put to use

Android does though use 7.5gb of the storage in 8gb phones. ?

1 hour ago, captain_to_fire said:
  • Cloud syncing and back up of text messages (exists in iOS 5 in 2011)
  • Backing up of app data to the cloud (also exists in iOS 5 way back in 2011

Google Drive backup can do both of these, Also if you have a SD card installed you can even backup the phone t the SD cards (includes text messages)

15 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

its like cars, they all offer the same function,  but its the bells and whistles that cost more,  

Are you looking for a reason to stay in apple products?  cause decent android phones exist for what ever sub genre you think is necessary to have in your pocket..

Sorry though i can not make any suggestions since i use a Moto E5 Play since after phone most of the other functionality goes wasted... i dont need a weather app i just look up and decide whether it will rain/be sunny whatever.   But if you need a computer in your pocket that rivals the speed of a slow device, but appears fast (xbox/playstation) since programs are created with software that tailors it to operating system and low install size by using available code already..

I recommend GM files for transfering file to, from computer. Way faster than air droid and no register required. 

Play :  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.generalmobile.app.gmfilemanager

Edited by zassou

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

On 11/22/2018 at 10:29 AM, captain_to_fire said:

-snip-

If you're on a budget, get a OnePlus 6t or Galaxy A9 if you need the Headphone Jack and don't like the sexy tear Notch. Galaxy and Note 9 would be my suggestions for High-end Android phones.

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.