Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KazeNilrem

In need of Monitor Assistance

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Greetings,

 

So I am looking for either a single nice monitor or dual monitors for my setup. Ive built a pc (parts are on their way) and admittedly, my eyes were bigger than my mouth. As in, PC will be great but... I can't quite afford the monitors it deserves (one dayyyyy). 

 

Essentially I am going to be running an RTX 2080 with i7 9700k. What I am looking for is suggestions based on well, partial personal preferences but overall something along of the lines of what is feasible. 

 

Budget is around 400-500 per monitor but if getting a single good one (larger too), can go higher. Would look for something at least 144hz. I have been using dual monitors for a long time so that would be my preference. I can't right now, but I would also plan on using monitor arms (forgot their names) so something attachable to the desk. Obviously I should be going for something really amazing but sadly can't at this time and current monitor will not cut it, that is for sure >< Although I imagine not very important but gpu does have 1 x HDMI 2.0b and 3 x displayport 1.4. 

 

If need any additional information let me know. Oh and I will be using my PC for gaming; so overwatch, monster hunter, star citizen, dota 2, etc. 

 

Thanks for the help!

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, KazeNilrem said:

1 x HDMI 2.0b and 3 x displayport 1.4

Basically standard.

 

32 minutes ago, KazeNilrem said:

I can't quite afford the monitors it deserves...

...Budget is around 400-500 per monitor but if getting a single good one (larger too), can go higher. Would look for something at least 144hz. I have been using dual monitors for a long time so that would be my preference. I can't right now, but I would also plan on using monitor arms (forgot their names) so something attachable to the desk. Obviously I should be going for something really amazing but sadly can't at this time and current monitor will not cut it, that is for sure

Define what you mean by "the monitor it deserves". Who cares? Get the monitor you want. Also, why don't you just get one decent monitor now, then save up for a better monitor later. From the way you talked, it sounds like you already have one monitor, so use that as a secondary screen until you get a really nice monitor. For now just get a mid-tier 1440p 144Hz monitor and go with it. I don't really know what you mean by "monitor it deserves"... a 1440p 144Hz monitor is a great choice for a 2080. So is 4k 60 Hz. So just pick which one you want. Or get a 1080p 240Hz.

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#D=144000,240000&amp;r=256001440&amp;sort=price


F@H Team Rank: 48                                                              A single, faster GPU is better than two slower ones in SLI

 

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

 

My Truck --- 1998.5 24v Cummins || ECSB || 47RE, Goerend triple disk TC & shift kit || 4" Turbo Back, 22" KMC XD Bombs, Airdog II-4G Lift Pump

 

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Total invested: $360 USD (excluding 1080 Ti)

 

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Cereal5 said:

Basically standard.

 

Define what you mean by "the monitor it deserves". Who cares? Get the monitor you want. Also, why don't you just get one decent monitor now, then save up for a better monitor later. From the way you talked, it sounds like you already have one monitor, so use that as a secondary screen until you get a really nice monitor. For now just get a mid-tier 1440p 144Hz monitor and go with it. I don't really know what you mean by "monitor it deserves"... a 1440p 144Hz monitor is a great choice for a 2080. So is 4k 60 Hz. So just pick which one you want. Or get a 1080p 240Hz.

 

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/monitor/#D=144000,240000&amp;r=256001440&amp;sort=price

Well the "monitor you want" is what I am looking for assistance with. Since there are so many brands, different dimensions and variables. If I knew which monitor I wanted, I would go for it lol. Monitor it deserves as in one that adequately utilizes the hardware and is not a limiting factor. That is why I was looking for suggestions and to see people's preferences to get an idea. 

 

As an example I found this: 

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Non-Glare-Refresh-FreeSync-Monitor/dp/B076HZ7CZK

 

Annoying part is it being FreeSync and not Gsync, which also raises the price. Thank you for your advice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, KazeNilrem said:

Well the "monitor you want" is what I am looking for assistance with. Since there are so many brands, different dimensions and variables. If I knew which monitor I wanted, I would go for it lol. Monitor it deserves as in one that adequately utilizes the hardware and is not a limiting factor. That is why I was looking for suggestions and to see people's preferences to get an idea. 

 

As an example I found this: 

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Non-Glare-Refresh-FreeSync-Monitor/dp/B076HZ7CZK

 

Annoying part is it being FreeSync and not Gsync, which also raises the price. Thank you for your advice.

Ok well 1080p I'm gonna go ahead and rule out. Either way, I can't tell you what you want lol. I will recommend 1440p 144Hz over 4k 60Hz every day, but I'm not the one playing the games. Those are the two resolutions I would recommend. You can take a look at the link I posted in my earlier post for 1440p 144Hz monitors. Asus' MG278Q/MG279Q are good options for relatively cheap. You can also look used. I found an Asus PG278Q (1440p 144Hz G-sync) for $320. Pretty good deal, and the colors are decent for a TN panel.


F@H Team Rank: 48                                                              A single, faster GPU is better than two slower ones in SLI

 

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

 

My Truck --- 1998.5 24v Cummins || ECSB || 47RE, Goerend triple disk TC & shift kit || 4" Turbo Back, 22" KMC XD Bombs, Airdog II-4G Lift Pump

 

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB || Total invested: $360 USD (excluding 1080 Ti)

 

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
14 hours ago, Cereal5 said:

Ok well 1080p I'm gonna go ahead and rule out. Either way, I can't tell you what you want lol. I will recommend 1440p 144Hz over 4k 60Hz every day, but I'm not the one playing the games. Those are the two resolutions I would recommend. You can take a look at the link I posted in my earlier post for 1440p 144Hz monitors. Asus' MG278Q/MG279Q are good options for relatively cheap. You can also look used. I found an Asus PG278Q (1440p 144Hz G-sync) for $320. Pretty good deal, and the colors are decent for a TN panel.

At this point I am just torn between 144p 144hz monitor and one that is G-sync. Such a pain because G-sync just adds so much to the price. Like, I can get a nice 32' 144p monitor but it is freesync, which would mean potential need to use Vsync. Such a bother haha, love the idea of G-sync but of course, $$

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×