SSD or HDD

1 hour ago, Speed Weed said:

I wish I can afford 2TB SSD ?

Newegg has the Samsung 2TB 860 EVO for $295 right now.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

5 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Newegg has the Samsung 2TB 860 EVO for $295 right now.

No money, and it is on sale, but without sale is probably $300 - $400. 

33 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

No money, and it is on sale, but without sale is probably $300 - $400. 

It's $400 when off sale. Maybe you can hock something? Knock over a gas station? Go on a starvation diet?

All seriousness aside, SSD prices have been dropping at a faster rate so maybe by the time you can save the shekels, the price will be back down again. I have to warn you, though. Once you have had an SSD, you will not be able to go back to HDDs.

For the people with "normal" budgets, the best bang for your buck is to get an SSD for your OS and programs and use an HDD for data. I suggest getting at least a 250-256GB SSD, such as the 250GB Samsung 860 EVO. Stay away from ones that are 240GB or 480GB (it doesn't pay in the long run to cheap out here).

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

4 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

It's $400 when off sale. Maybe you can hock something? Knock over a gas station? Go on a starvation diet?

All seriousness aside, SSD prices have been dropping at a faster rate so maybe by the time you can save the shekels, the price will be back down again. I have to warn you, though. Once you have had an SSD, you will not be able to go back to HDDs.

For the people with "normal" budgets, the best bang for your buck is to get an SSD for your OS and programs and use an HDD for data. I suggest getting at least a 250-256GB SSD, such as the 250GB Samsung 860 EVO. Stay away from ones that are 240GB or 480GB (it doesn't pay in the long run to cheap out here).

I know once you go SSD, you will not want to go back to HDD, but I have no money to spare for that good deal SSD I guess. I am stuck with finance for my college tuition. 

1 minute ago, Speed Weed said:

I know once you go SSD, you will not want to go back to HDD, but I have no money to spare for that good deal SSD I guess. I am stuck with finance for my college tuition. 

Hang in there. It's been almost 50 years since I graduated and I still get nightmares from then.

Jeannie

1 minute ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

Hang in there. It's been almost 50 years since I graduated and I still get nightmares from then.

I will try to hang in there. I don't want to be in debt. 

10 minutes ago, Speed Weed said:

I will try to hang in there. I don't want to be in debt. 

Good for you!

Jeannie