Switching from PC gaming to (mostly) PS4?

Underi

Hey. I've been playing games since 2009 when I first got my laptop.

Lately I've noticed that I don't really play anything on my computer anymore. Most of the time it's just grinding on Warframe or a couple of ranked matches in LoL or R6S.

I have used way too much money on my steam library, which at the minute probably holds over 150 games, with over 1000 euros spent on steam overall.

My PC is worth 600-700€ and I almost completely overhauled it for 500 euros last summer. Now I'm slightly regretting that decision.

I have all this power and all these games, yet I don't use either.

I also own a PS4 with only a couple of games like Persona 5, FF15, God of War and Watch Dogs.

I really enjoy playing on console, it has a special kind of charm to it which I can't really describe. It feels relaxing to just sit back and play with the controller on a big screen.

I've thought about selling my current setup and buying some kind of a used budget computer for half of the price that I would sell my current one and use the other half on a new phone.

I barely need the performance I'm currently getting.

At the same time I feel sad selling my computer, which I've used so much money and time on.

I can't decide on anything.

I really want to play on the playstation, but I find Persona 5 too hard and FF15 a bit boring. The games cost too much and the console doesn't have the space to hold all these triple A titles inside it's little 500GB hard drive.

Yet on the PC I can run almost any game I want, install anything I wish and still I can't come up with anything to play.

I feel frustrated. Mainly because I'm addicted to gaming, but the fact that I don't have anything to play annoys me.

What should I do?

I've read that some people get exhausted from games and have to take a break, but I have nothing else to do. I live in the middle of the woods with no activities nearby.

Gaming is my passion and it's the only thing I can do. The other one is reading manga. But now I can't even find good ones to read.

This post was kind of a vent of my inner feelings and how I am stuck in this position where I want to play, but cannot. There's all these games, yet none are to my liking.

Main point of the post is if it would be a good idea at all to give up PC gaming, even slightly, and start playing on a console and a weaker PC. Can't bring myself to choose.

My stuff:

Spoiler

CPU :  Intel i5 8400 | GPU : MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4GB

RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3600MHz

Mouse : Logitech G502 HERO SE | Keyboard : Mountain Everest Max w/ Cherry MX Brown

Headset : Beyerdynamics DT990 Pro 250Ω w/ AT2020USB+

Monitor : Acer XF240H @  144Hz

I moved from PS4 Pro cause 4K in 60 fps looks so smooth on PC :)

You can hook up a controller to the PC and HDMI it to the TV. PS4 and PC is a sweet spot atm, cross platform PC, exclusives on PS4.

i7 12700k @ 5.1GHz OC (EKWB) / Msi Edge wifi ddr4 / Asus TUF 3080ti (EKWB) / Acer XB327 270HZ, 3x LG 27GL83A-B 144hz, SONY KDL40D3000 Thermaltake P5 / 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / Samsung 980 pro 1tb NVMe ssd, Serbrent 1tb NVMe ssd,Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 PRO SSD (raid), 2 TB Seagate HDDSeasonic TX 1000w titanium/ EK-FC1080 Ti GTX ASUS Strix RGB GPU Block, EK-Supremacy EVO, EK-CoolStream XE 360 [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans], EK-CoolStream XE 360 slim [6x120 Thermaltake Ring fans],  EK-DDC 3.2 PWM Elite Edition, EK-RES X3 250 RGBMountain Everest custom with Sorbothane sound dampening / Razer Viper Ultimate, Logitec G502 , Logitec G Pro Wireless / Beardynamic DT1990 PRO with Litz wire full conversion to balanced, custom cable in Litz, Dakoni ear pads going through Topping E30 DAC to Singxer SA-1 amp/Sennhieser HD598, Sennhieser GSP 670, Custom Floor Standing Speakers in 5.1, Panasonic amp. Rode NT-USB on Rode boom.

If you already have a pc and ps4 I would just hold onto both and just grab a game when you see something you like. 

PC has 1000s of games (old and new) so there should be something out there to your liking.  Have a glance at the steam, gog.com, origin, humble bundle etc..

And of course grab the ps4 exclusives if you see any you like.

45 minutes ago, HOOTSMON said:

You can hook up a controller to the PC and HDMI it to the TV. PS4 and PC is a sweet spot atm, cross platform PC, exclusives on PS4.

Pretty much it, in my bedroom my desktop is in a way to the right is my desk with monitor and keyboard and all and to the left my bedroom 4k TV which with a PS4 controller I can emulate console gaming whenever it pleases me.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Steam has a box u can stream from PC to a TV across your network, good if you don’t have a long enough hdmi cable.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

2 hours ago, Underi said:

I have used way too much money

I have used way too much time, myself playing games, but I waste it in other ways, hence here.

PS4 console and games are expensive, I prefer the $5 and under games on Steam for the PC.

Slightly regretting spending 1000 euros on a pc you never use, well that just comes down to "experience" I guess to put it mildly, maturity to put it plainly, or shall we say common sense. Everyones like that though in one way or another, its just called Consumerism and Kepping Up With The Jonses.

I would like to think of doing something that progresses in life, achieves new skills, sharpens older skills. Controller games are wicked cool for shooting and drones and underwater ROV'ing and remote medical because its been proven in clinical studies and published in major literature, when that is done its widely understood and acknowledged in the scientific community.

We all need pleasures too, hobbies, laugh, joke, interact with people.

It is apart of life.

My suggestion, try to get back on the pc, since you already have a good pc.

Steam link I think it’s 4K or there is a 4K version of it. I’ve got one and I love it, and I use mine over Wi-Fi and have no issues but as Linus said in his review, I would reccomend Ethernet if possible. You can plug in PS4 controllers too so it’s like playing on a console

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

4 minutes ago, josbeph83 said:

You can plug in PS4 controllers too so it’s like playing on a console

You got a link to said reference?

1 minute ago, Canada EH said:

You got a link to said reference?

https://help.steampowered.com/en/wizard/HelpWithGameIssue/?appid=353380&issueid=353&nodeid=81&return_nodeid=8 

Here you go official Steam page

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

4 hours ago, Underi said:

I live in the middle of the woods with no activities nearby.

Have you tried taking regularly weekly breaks from gaming of any sort? I hear Finland is great for outdoors stuff.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

i didnt read the whole thing but from what i understand 

try using your ps only for a month if you dont feel missing pc gaming then ye move to ps

You are having whats called "buyers remorse OP". I too have felt this many times when it comes to PC gaming. I have spent alot of money on chasing the very best in terms of high end gaming. 

I had bought  a GTX 1080 Ti and a 32 inch 1440 G-Sync monitor. This year I had spent over $1200 on PC Gaming. Last year when I re-did my CPU/Mobo/Case/PSU/Ram it costed me $550. Combined that leaves me at nearly $1800 on gaming in 2 years. Definitely not in anyway cheaper than my PS4 Pro. Not with PC game sales or any of that.  Yet, all my friends are on PS4 and Xbox, so I still mostly play on my PS4 Pro and Switch, even multi platform games. 

Between work, friends, my fiance,studying for my masters, and just life my time for video games is limited. So, thats why I actually sold my monitor and GTX 1080 Ti just a few weeks ago. Honestly, for me console gaming is great. I come home and I just play games. I dont really think about FPS or tweaking settings to perfection. I just play games and have fun. 

The days also of PC games looking vastly better than Consoles are long over. Most multi platform shooters run at 60fps on Consoles as well. Its crazy that they can considering the weak 8 core jaguar CPU.  PC definitely has sharper image quality and support for higher resolution. Though, when I am sitting 8 feet away from my 70inch 4k Tv, the difference really is just not that perceptible. 

Finally, it sounds like you are struggling with more than just gaming choices.  If your only passions are gaming and manga then maybe take a step back and reevaluate some thing.  If you live in the middle of nowhere, id recommend moving or finding some local things to do. Hit up the gym, go out with some friends. 

Gaming is a hobby but it cant replace a fulfilling life. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

On 11/21/2018 at 6:01 PM, Underi said:

I really want to play on the playstation, but I find Persona 5 too hard and FF15 a bit boring. The games cost too much and the console doesn't have the space to hold all these triple A titles inside it's little 500GB hard drive.

Haven't played Persona 5 much but FF15 really is kinda crap, compared to other Final Fantasy Iterations.

The 500GB HDD is no problem, because you can replace it with any of those:

https://geizhals.de/?cat=hde7s&xf=1080_SATA+1.5Gb%2Fs~1080_SATA+3Gb%2Fs~1080_SATA+6Gb%2Fs~14771_7~3772_2.5~958_500

Or SSDs:

https://geizhals.de/?cat=hdssd&xf=252_400~4832_1~4836_2

You "only" need a USB Stick with the right Firmware (on the bottom of the Page, seperate Link).

For Games: Try Spider-Man or Horizon Zero Dawn.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

I got a 7.5 meter HDMI cable to connect my TV to my monitor as a second screen, which gives me the best of both worlds: eg PC graphics and performance but on the TV instead of at a desk like a console. Though even then I still play my PS4 a lot more, mostly because the game selection is better if you're not into first person shooters.

Like others have said you can use PS4 controllers on your PC.  Theres actually many former PS4 exclusives that are now on steam the biggest ones being Yakuza and NiOH.  Theres also FF15 which was already multiplat but its on there and comes with all the DLC (like it should have in the beginning i'm not salty though).

PS4s are still good consoles mind you and if you just prefer to play in front of your TV then by all means go for it.