Design Your Own Amplifier - Taking feedback for future products

MayflowerElectronics

Well I just thought that maybe the design you were considering could need more than just 5v. :P

It will charge and be used via USB, but power will come from a battery.

One thing I would like to see on the new amp design is a line out (Or RCA) on the back of the unit for speakers. I'm sure it wouldn't improve the audio quality by much (If any) but It would be so convenient to just have the headphones and speakers through one unit.

I could care less about a microphone imput. Most good microphones use XLR or USB to send a signal. I would just plug it into the computers onboard sound, or if it was a usb or XLR mic, I would get the appropriate adapter. Blue LED's would be nice as well; as the majority of my setup is blue.
Price is another important thing. 100$ sounds really nice, but other more expensive models would be nice if I wanted to spend a little bit extra and get more options. The 1/4 and 3.5mm plug idea doesn't sound like the best option to me. It would be nice to not have to use adapters if for whatever reason you can't use the included DAC's headphone port though. Most headphones on the market use a 1/4 inch adapter that screws on to a 3.5mm plug, so either one could be used. Of course, every headphone is different, so I guess it could be a issue to some people. 

Really looking forward to this new design. I will probably get it as I'm in the market for a DAC in the future. 

Would be epic to see a Microphone compressor/limiter built in. No more clipping distortion 

Would be epic to see a Microphone compressor/limiter built in. No more clipping distortion 

Heading into more of a mixer solution with that, a pass-through would be super easy to implement compared to a limiter.

#!

I want a new headphone amp... Hurry up and take my money Tyler

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Heading into more of a mixer solution with that, a pass-through would be super easy to implement compared to a limiter.

What the hell does a mixer have to do with a compressor/limiter? 

Is this a mixer for example? 

http://www.thomann.de/pt/art_tube_mp_project_series_usb.htm

We are talking about sound processing on the mic input at a hardware level to make it so your mic always sounds good. Has nothing to do with mixing. 

We are talking about sound processing on the mic input at a hardware level to make it so your mic always sounds good. Has nothing to do with mixing. 

I was meaning that is more a feature you'd see at a mixer level, not a DAC/Amp level. 

#!

He meant that such a feature would be more along the lines of something included with a mixer as opposed to a headphone DAC/amp. 

edit: beat me to it - why you no tell me of new post before I post, LTT, why?

I was meaning that is more a feature you'd see at a mixer level, not a DAC/Amp level. 

Well but you see it A LOT on Amps but in professional products. On that link I sent I can show you a handful of them. 

And that is something you would use WITH a mixer, not in a mixer. Those mixer with built-in compressors 99% of the time suck lol. (excluding digital mixers)

Well but you see it A LOT on Amps but in professional products. On that link I sent I can show you a handful of them. 

And that is something you would use WITH a mixer, not in a mixer. Those mixer with built-in compressors 99% of the time suck lol. (excluding digital mixers)

What are the price ranges of these professional amps compared to the price ranges Tyler is planning on selling these ranges at?

#!

Both 1/4'' and 3.5mm outputs - this would be nice. i am always losing those 1/4 to 3.5mm adapters

RCA inputs and outputs - outputs yes, but i dont think inputs would be very beneficial as it kind of defeats the point of a dac

USB and optical inputs - i personally like optical as it gives you the option to isolate the electronics from the noisy pc power

No Drivers - this is always a good thing

Small design, 2-3 models - multiple models is always good as different people have different needs

Extruded Aluminium case - extruded aluminum cases can look awesome imo.

Microphone pass through - I personally have no need for this, though others may

Costs - your depicted price range between 100 and 300 dollars seems to be in the sweet spot

LED's? - i say yellow or orange frosted leds. its just more pleasing to look at in a dark room

Gain? - This is something that most dac/headphone amps need

Power supply - An external psu would be great as i know it will free up quit a bit of space on the pcb

well those are my thoughts. You guys ever thinking about getting into loudspeaker amps :D ? That would be cool.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

To the people suggesting a specific LED color - Since these are hand built items, it's reasonable to assume you can pick your color.  :rolleyes:

How about a decent mic input? Like headset, mod mic, clip on mic as most onboard ones you have to boost the hell out of to get any decent volume.

No more blue leds please go back to tge tinted yellow, orange, and red of the days of old. And please dont make them burn my eyes out if at all possible. Having a smaller hole to see it or wven diffused into some plastic would do it. And make different suff have different color leds so I dont have to figure out which blue ked that is.

With the both 1/4in and 3.5mm dont most 1/4in screw off even quite high end ones?

Asio support? Balanced outputs?

Is the gain switch meant for like different impeadance headphones or what? Cause yea you want compatibility with like like 32ohm and 600ohm may somewhere in the hig 100s low to mid 200s.

Please make sure you make that psu 3 prong grounded, I see so many things nowdays that arnt and really should be.

Lots of theses I guess would be general electronics suggestions but hey they apply. I think this may be aimed at a slightly different person than I but that ok I have mybessence one and ill have it for a while. This might be nice for some thing a bit more portable though.

To the people suggesting a specific LED color - Since these are hand built items, it's reasonable to assume you can pick your color. :rolleyes:

I suggest not for color preference but for the sake of my eyes as they have been ravaged by the tyany of the blue led since at least the 2000s and I now stand up in opposition to the annoyingly bright blueness.

Both 1/4'' and 3.5mm outputs - No more adapters. It's one of the major limits of the objective2 that we can't have both outputs for all headphones

Hmm, I would prefer just a 1/4", having both seems like a bit of an agricultural idea. I don't know anyone who wouldn't mind using an adapter, and any headphones worth using on a good amp come with either a 1/4" jack or 3.5mm with screw on adapter or similar.

RCA inputs and outputs - Pretty simple and a standard in most designs

Good.

USB and optical inputs - Again a limiting factor in the ODAC.

Good, I prefer the USB Standard-B input as it's the most robust. I'm not sure that optical is really necessary at all, if it makes the design cheaper I don't think it's needed.

No Drivers - We will be using the same Class1 driverless DAC chip. Will work with all OS's.

Good.

Small design, 2-3 models - Much like the o2/ODAC, we plan on selling just the amp, just the DAC, or an all in one unit. Everything will be in a small compact case hopefully not much bigger than the standard o2 case

Good, a common design between all products like you have now is great.

Extruded Aluminium case - To save costs we plan on using extruded aluminium design for a case. We are really fond of the Apple TV shape case, this is where we would mostly like your input.

Good. I like the Apple TV style too, but I also like the wooden face on the o2 you were selling. Wood might be something to work into the design as an option, but if it's not cost effective and over-complicates the SKU then don't bother. The current product line looks too 'industrial' in my opinion.

Microphone pass through - Another feature that we would like your input with. A lot of gamers have analog headsets with microphones. Would you rather use an extension cable or would you rather see another 3.5mm jack in the front of the case?

I wouldn't use it.

Costs - Realistically the most important part. We are looking at the $100, $200 and $300 price point for 3 different models. What do you think?

The current prices for the O2/O2 + ODAC are good, but the ODAC is overpriced in my opinion, especially considering yourself and NwAv/Tek/etc. apologists insist that a DAC is pointless/a waste/overkill/etc. for the most part.

LED's? - What color would you like for LED's?

lol no. (and no tube gimmicks)

Gain? - Gain switch? We plan on having possibly 3 gain levels - 1x, 2x and 6x. This will cover 99% of the headphones on the market

Gain switch with 3 levels.

Power!!!! - We plan on having the same output volume as the o2.

Good.

Power, source inputs, and RCA/3.5mm outputs MUST be on the back. The only thing that really needs to be on the front is the headphone output and volume knob. Optional front or back are the on/off switch, gain selector and mic input.

Put all this together and I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Oh yes please put USB-B or even A, but its harder to find A to A 2.0 cables, on it none of that stupid mini micro stuff.

Can there ve a separate volune knob for the rca out? Possibly a selector to select between 1/4, rca, and both as well.

Oh yes please put USB-B or even A, but its harder to find A to A 2.0 cables, on it none of that stupid mini micro stuff.

Can there ve a separate volune knob for the rca out? Possibly a selector to select between 1/4, rca, and both as well.

This is a really good idea. It's annoying adjusting the volume when changing outputs, maybe when you switch to RCA the volume would be set to a fixed setting, you wouldn't ever adjust pre-amp volume anyway.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

This is a really good idea. It's annoying adjusting the volume when changing outputs, maybe when you switch to RCA the volume would be set to a fixed setting, you wouldn't ever adjust pre-amp volume anyway.

It depends on what its going to, if its powered monitors, you control it at the amp preferably since the volume on the speakers is to level them to each other and to the room.

It depends on what its going to, if its powered monitors, you control it at the amp preferably since the volume on the speakers is to level them to each other and to the room.

The mayflower product wouldn't be an amp for powered monitors.  B)

The mayflower product wouldn't be an amp for powered monitors. B)

With that $300 price point in mind it should be considered. What do you plant to run out then line level and control with the speakers? I would prefer still even with normal speakers to set their volume then control the input and it give you the ability for much more variance and control.

To the people suggesting a specific LED color - Since these are hand built items, it's reasonable to assume you can pick your color.  :rolleyes:

Can I have one that flashes through red blue white and green?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

With that $300 price point in mind it should be considered. What do you plant to run out then line level and control with the speakers? I would prefer still even with normal speakers to set their volume then control the input and it give you the ability for much more variance and control.

How does adjusting a preamp's volume instead of the amp's give more control?

Can I have one that flashes through red blue white and green?

trying to give yourself a seizure?

How does adjusting a preamp's volume instead of the amp's give more control?

You have two places to control instead of just one. Id set the speakers at X volume then use the preamp to go quieter and louder easily easily. Idk maybe its just because im used to doing it that way everywhere but on my HTPC where the audio is running over HDMI to a receiver but thats kinda something different entirely.

You have two places to control instead of just one. Id set the speakers at X volume then use the preamp to go quieter and louder easily easily. Idk maybe its just because im used to doing it that way everywhere but on my HTPC where the audio is running over HDMI to a receiver but thats kinda something different entirely.

Oh, then why stop at just two amps? To pull from a bad cliche, why not a million?  :)

Are XLR connections an option on any of them?

Are XLR connections an option on any of them?

What would you use xlr for on an amp like this?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.