Design Your Own Amplifier - Taking feedback for future products

MayflowerElectronics

Hey guys - So we are starting to work on our design for our products. Don't worry, we will always sell the o2 and ODAC and all of our custom touches, but we are looking to branch off to our own designs.

It's simple - Just tell us what feature you would like to see in a headphone amp or DAC combo. It could be anything. Do you want a tube that lights up but doesn't do anything to the circuit? Do you want 6 headphone outs? Please try to keep everything reasonable though :)

Here's what we are planning so far, let us know you like it, it's stupid, or it's indifferent.

Both 1/4'' and 3.5mm outputs - No more adapters. It's one of the major limits of the objective2 that we can't have both outputs for all headphones

RCA inputs and outputs - Pretty simple and a standard in most designs

USB and optical inputs - Again a limiting factor in the ODAC.

No Drivers - We will be using the same Class1 driverless DAC chip. Will work with all OS's.

Small design, 2-3 models - Much like the o2/ODAC, we plan on selling just the amp, just the DAC, or an all in one unit. Everything will be in a small compact case hopefully not much bigger than the standard o2 case

Extruded Aluminium case - To save costs we plan on using extruded aluminium design for a case. We are really fond of the Apple TV shape case, this is where we would mostly like your input.

Microphone pass through - Another feature that we would like your input with. A lot of gamers have analog headsets with microphones. Would you rather use an extension cable or would you rather see another 3.5mm jack in the front of the case?

Costs - Realistically the most important part. We are looking at the $100, $200 and $300 price point for 3 different models. What do you think?

LED's? - What color would you like for LED's?

Gain? - Gain switch? We plan on having possibly 3 gain levels - 1x, 2x and 6x. This will cover 99% of the headphones on the market

Power!!!! - We plan on having the same output volume as the o2.

Power supply - We will have to use an external power supply. It won't be a somewhat proprietary AC/AC power supply like the o2, but a more common DC one. In order for us to use an internal power supply would drive the cost up more than we would like, and would provide no real tangible benefit.

Well that's it for now. Looking forward to everyone's feedback, and again, please keep it reasonable.

RED LEDS PLS!

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Regarding LEDs, if a similar implementation was used that lampton uses in their FC5 fan controller that could satisfy a lot of customers with different color preferences.

I think all the points that were mentioned in your post would be fantastic to the product line.  Personally I would love a Amp with both headphone and RCA out so I could power speakers on my desk.  Currently this is the main pro I see when comparing the O2 to the Schiit Asgard 2.

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.3Ghz with NH-D14 | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Hero | GPU: SLI GTX780 Windforce | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro | HDD: WD Black | PSUEVGA SuperNova 1300W | Case: Fractal Define R4 | Monitor: X-Star DP2710 1440p @ 96Hz | Mouse: DeathAdder  | Keyboard: CM Storm CherryMX Red | Headset: Kraken Pro | Headphones: HE-400

Customization designs on the AMP DAC. Like in your series with TekSyndicate, and he had the O2/ODAC with the razetheworld logo on it.

My Build Log on PCPartPicker FX-6300, ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3, MSI 7870 GHz Edition, Corsair Vengeance LP 1x8GB, 1TB WD Blue, Fractal Core 1000 USB 3.0, Corsair CX600, and my most recent addition that I've had forever and isnt new is a 80GB WD800 for Linux, Lenovo ThinkPad X131e, ASUS Transformer TF300T, Galaxy Note 3 Sister dropped it in a puddle I now have to use a Samsung Brightside, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm version, Blue Yeti  #TheRealKEH-JEFF | "Sometimes, if were lucky, in Australia, a family has 2 kangaroos to pick up the kids with" - marto | Your entry here | Remember kids; just because Linus has a video on it, doesn't mean that its the best choice | ts3.wferr.com the best TeamSpeak Abide by the CoC | Looking for build help? Read this before posting |

It might be nice to have a more budget friendly option, just like a something small and simple with just like a usb in and 3.5 out. Maybe if you could make it around $50 to compete with the e10. (not sure how possible this is, but this would be what I would be most interested in)

Have a nice heavy, solid feel and a tube that lights up would be good aesthitically which would add a nice expensive look to it

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Regarding LEDs, if a similar implementation was used that lampton uses in their FC5 fan controller that could satisfy a lot of customers with different color preferences.

I think all the points that were mentioned in your post would be fantastic to the product line.  Personally I would love a Amp with both headphone and RCA out so I could power speakers on my desk.  Currently this is the main pro I see when comparing the O2 to the Schiit Asgard 2.

We won't have an interface like a fan controller on these products, there isn't enough room.

Oh and just to let you know, we do have an o2 amp with RCA out's ;)

Thanks for the input so far.

You really should get a 3D printer and learn how to use it for prototyping something like this.

Hell, note to self for next year:  Buy a 3D printer.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Everything in the rear but the pot, led, 1/4, 3.5 headphone out and switches.

Edit: also a switch to toggle between front headphone outs and rear line out for powered speakers and a dip switch in the back to select modes or something.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

You really should get a 3D printer and learn how to use it for prototyping something like this.

Hell, note to self for next year:  Buy a 3D printer.

Plastic doesn't isolate interference. 

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Plastic doesn't isolate interference. 

True, but it can help you make sure everything is lined up properly and fits correctly.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

Both 1/4'' and 3.5mm outputs - No more adapters. It's one of the major limits of the objective2 that we can't have both outputs for all headphones

Hmm, I would prefer just a 1/4", having both seems like a bit of an agricultural idea. I don't know anyone who wouldn't mind using an adapter, and any headphones worth using on a good amp come with either a 1/4" jack or 3.5mm with screw on adapter or similar.

RCA inputs and outputs - Pretty simple and a standard in most designs
Good.

USB and optical inputs - Again a limiting factor in the ODAC.
Good, I prefer the USB Standard-B input as it's the most robust. I'm not sure that optical is really necessary at all, if it makes the design cheaper I don't think it's needed.

No Drivers - We will be using the same Class1 driverless DAC chip. Will work with all OS's.
Good.

Small design, 2-3 models - Much like the o2/ODAC, we plan on selling just the amp, just the DAC, or an all in one unit. Everything will be in a small compact case hopefully not much bigger than the standard o2 case
Good, a common design between all products like you have now is great.

Extruded Aluminium case - To save costs we plan on using extruded aluminium design for a case. We are really fond of the Apple TV shape case, this is where we would mostly like your input.
Good. I like the Apple TV style too, but I also like the wooden face on the o2 you were selling. Wood might be something to work into the design as an option, but if it's not cost effective and over-complicates the SKU then don't bother. The current product line looks too 'industrial' in my opinion.

Microphone pass through - Another feature that we would like your input with. A lot of gamers have analog headsets with microphones. Would you rather use an extension cable or would you rather see another 3.5mm jack in the front of the case?
I wouldn't use it.

Costs - Realistically the most important part. We are looking at the $100, $200 and $300 price point for 3 different models. What do you think?
The current prices for the O2/O2 + ODAC are good, but the ODAC is overpriced in my opinion, especially considering yourself and NwAv/Tek/etc. apologists insist that a DAC is pointless/a waste/overkill/etc. for the most part.

LED's? - What color would you like for LED's?
lol no. (and no tube gimmicks)

Gain? - Gain switch? We plan on having possibly 3 gain levels - 1x, 2x and 6x. This will cover 99% of the headphones on the market
Gain switch with 3 levels.

Power!!!! - We plan on having the same output volume as the o2.
Good.

Power, source inputs, and RCA/3.5mm outputs MUST be on the back. The only thing that really needs to be on the front is the headphone output and volume knob. Optional front or back are the on/off switch, gain selector and mic input.

Put all this together and I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

We won't have an interface like a fan controller on these products, there isn't enough room.

Oh and just to let you know, we do have an o2 amp with RCA out's ;)

Thanks for the input so far.

In terms of LEDs, you are talking to a DIY community (imo).

Could you sell the LEDs (all colors available) separately and let us install them ourselves? Maybe even mix and match? 

Obviously sell a version with the basic colors of LEDs (red, green, blue, and white), but I think a DIY version would be popular. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

do you know how much it would change the cost to add(or even sell separately) an ADC and a preamp for a mic?

the next best option I've seen has been a small mixer, it'd be nice to have a cheaper/smaller option.

3 small smd pots and a tricolor led :P

same setup for every color, just adjust a few pots to change it.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Would it be possible to have an amp that includes a microphone port with preamps similar to what Focusrite offers?

Current PC: AMD FX8320 || PNY GTX 770 || 2x4GB || ASUS M5A97 || Corsair TX 750 V2 || Asus Essence STX || CM Storm Enforcer
Peripherals: Logitech G500S || Cooler Master Quickfire TK || Audio-Technica AT2020 || Focusrite iTrack Solo || Q701 + DT990 Pro

do you know how much it would change the cost to add(or even sell separately) an ADC and a preamp for a mic?

the next best option I've seen has been a small mixer, it'd be nice to have a cheaper/smaller option.

3 small smd pots and a tricolor led :P

same setup for every color, just adjust a few pots to change it.

We really aren't trying get too much into the mic. It will be for convenience factor if anything, we don't want it to make it part of the circuit, or do anything crazy. This product has to appeal to a few different markets, and adding an amp for a mic might be pushing it too far into the gaming market if you get my drift.

Everything you've suggested sounds perfect to me!

Regarding to size, will all models use the same case? the apple TV-esque case?

Thanks.

#!

I actually just ordered an O2+ODAC with rear power this week. Your comment about the RCA output would be a very nice addition. With the model I just purchased for my SP2500's I will have to still use my onboard sound. It would have been great to be able to plug those directly into the amp and not have to use the onboard sound at all. Also not sure if it is possible but it would be nice to have a switch to go back and forth between the headphone jack outputting vs the RCA this would prevent you from having to unplug your headphones if you just wanted to listen to your speakers.

Everything you've suggested sounds perfect to me!

Regarding to size, will all models use the same case? the apple TV-esque case?

Thanks.

The combo would probably need a bigger case don't you think?

I actually just ordered an O2+ODAC with rear power this week. Your comment about the RCA output would be a very nice addition. With the model I just purchased for my SP2500's I will have to still use my onboard sound. It would have been great to be able to plug those directly into the amp and not have to use the onboard sound at all. Also not sure if it is possible but it would be nice to have a switch to go back and forth between the headphone jack outputting vs the RCA this would prevent you from having to unplug your headphones if you just wanted to listen to your speakers.

Those speakers won't really benefit from a DAC anyway. In fact, most speakers really don't. 

Any color of LED used, I would like it to be a frosted kind of LED, not the clear ones that light up like a flashlight.

Like the one on the left of this image:

FLVRU5XG5W7R3LK.LARGE.jpg

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Those speakers won't really benefit from a DAC anyway. In fact, most speakers really don't. 

The point was not to benefit from the DAC but prevent you from having to have a sound card and the dac. With the RCA outputs there would be no need to have an additional sound card to connect the speakers to.

Then instead of giving the microphone amps, would it be possible to have monitoring instead? It might not be an issue with open headphones, but not hearing yourself talk is quite an odd sensation when you chat online with closed headphones :P

Current PC: AMD FX8320 || PNY GTX 770 || 2x4GB || ASUS M5A97 || Corsair TX 750 V2 || Asus Essence STX || CM Storm Enforcer
Peripherals: Logitech G500S || Cooler Master Quickfire TK || Audio-Technica AT2020 || Focusrite iTrack Solo || Q701 + DT990 Pro

HA ha hahahahahah when I read the thread title I thought, I wonder what's better than negative feed back? unless you want your output inverted.  :lol:

I've always wanted a complete desktop tool, I.E a usb hub, card reader headphone amp, mic in, temp read out, volume dial and hard switches to select between 3 headphones and and Aux send to my monitors.

IF you don't do it I might add it to the exceedingly long list of unfinished projects I have. :huh:

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

HA ha hahahahahah when I read the thread title I thought, I wonder what's better than negative feed back? unless you want your output inverted.  :lol:

I've always wanted a complete desktop tool, I.E a usb hub, card reader headphone amp, mic in, temp read out, volume dial and hard switches to select between 3 headphones and and Aux send to my monitors.

IF you don't do it I might add it to the exceedingly long list of unfinished projects I have. :huh:

+1 for the switching between headphones. I'd really like to see something in the $100 range though. $250 is just too much for me right now. Also microphone input would be nice but I wouldn't pay too much extra for it. As for outputs, I agree with @Lyons that just 1/4 in would be fine. Not sure about LEDs. I have mixed feelings about that. 

Both 1/4'' and 3.5mm outputs - I'd love to have several 1/4" outputs. I really don't like the look of 3,5 to 1/4" adapters, where the huge 1/4" ends in a tiny connector that looks like it breaks super easy, if you know what I mean. and like mr moose said, having several outputs would be nice, like RCA on the back for my speakers, and two or three 1/4" on the front, with switchable output. 

USB and optical inputs - USB in from the PC, which uses a sturdy connector, the Mini one you use now is okay, but I'd love to see the bigger USB Type B.

No Drivers - Yes, good.

Small design, 2-3 models - A small metal casing would be ideal, but if I had to have a bigger one, either a low, flat one, or one on a sideways stand, sort of. 

Extruded Aluminium case - That Apple TV design is alright, the one you use now also looks really good IMO. 

Microphone pass through - Would be nice to have. 

Costs - One cheap one like the FiiO E10, and then something like the o2 + odac for 200, then ALL THE THINGS for 300 if possible. 

LED's? - I don't care about LED's really. a weak red one for power in the front is alright, and maybe a tiny tiny white one marking the volume knob, so you can see it in the dark. 

Gain? - Like you said, 1x, 2x and 6x, so it can cover the most used numbers, 16-80, 100-300, and then all the higher-powered ones, like 600 ohms and such. 

Power!!!! - Same power as the o2? I don't know how much power that is, but I trust you guys to do good.  

Power supply - I'd love to see options for including EU type sockets and 240 volt adapters. 

uhm yeah. excited! 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50