Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Moraaaaa

How to choose my first Apple computer?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi.guys.This is moraaaaa.

Because linus LOVES Apple products very much. I want to come here for some help.I need Apple operating system to develop app.So i need buy a mac i guess.I have only used iphone, this is the only Apple product I use. I am really confused because I noticed that there are many versions of Apple computers.I won't use mac to play games, I will only use it to write code and use adobe products (ps and ai you know.).I don't want to spend too much. Because I think the Apple product itself already has too much premium. And i am not Cult.So I want to seek some advice.And please forgive my terrible english.I have about $1800.thank you!

Get the new Mac Mini, upgrade it to the 6-core i5 model and call it a day. You can upgrade the RAM later, it's not super hard to do. The only real alternative is an iMac, I'd skip the base model and go for a 4K or 5K model. 

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X MSI B450M Mortar Max 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3266 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 W10 Pro 1903

4 minutes ago, SidM said:

You can get the 13 inch macbook pro with touchbar.

Exactly at ur budget, 1799, 8gb ram, 256gb storage(get some external storage as well)

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

Get the new Mac Mini, upgrade it to the 6-core i5 model and call it a day. You can upgrade the RAM later, it's not super hard to do. The only real alternative is an iMac, I'd skip the base model and go for a 4K or 5K model. 

Have you seen the process to get under the ram heatspreader/shield on the 2018 mac mini? It is a complete teardown and rebuild.

i'd probably go for a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro without touchbar. The "lower end" one with the Intel i5, wich is powerful enough for most things.

11 minutes ago, Moraaaaa said:

Buy a used macbook with a 4th gen i7 and you'll be set

Or buy a mac mini with a 4th gen i7, but I think those are only dual core machines.

Or buy one of these and upgrade it

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

Or buy a mac mini with a 4th gen i7, but I think those are only dual core machines.

The older Mac Minis of the last gen have quad core processors, but Apple later decided to "upgrade" the quad core to dual core.

3 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

Have you seen the process to get under the ram heatspreader/shield on the 2018 mac mini? It is a complete teardown and rebuild.

I've seen it, it doesn't impress me in terms of difficulty. Just slide out the logic board and have at it. Seriously, it's somewhat easier to upgrade than previous models because there's no fuckton of fragile cables needing to be undone.

4 minutes ago, OskarKE said:

i'd probably go for a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro without touchbar. The "lower end" one with the Intel i5, wich is powerful enough for most things.

The dual core MBP is a really bad deal, though. It costs more than even a 6-core i7 mac mini. You'll trade an i7-8700 for a display and keyboard.

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Yes, the Mac Pro 4,1 dual CPU model especially is awesome. You can firmware update it to be a 5,1 and with a GPU upgrade, you can run macOS Mojave.

The Mac Mini 2014 is indeed dual core only, the 2011 and 2012 had quad core i7 options. Retina MBP 15" 2012-2015 are also great machines.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X MSI B450M Mortar Max 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3266 - RX5700XT 660p 1TBGB & 256GB 600p Fractal Define Mini C CM V550 W10 Pro 1903

1 minute ago, OskarKE said:

The older Mac Minis of the last gen have quad core processors, but Apple later decided to "upgrade" the quad core to dual core.

Why does anyone ever buy apple products? They all overheat too...

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

I've seen it, it doesn't impress me in terms of difficulty. Just slide out the logic board and have at it. Seriously, it's somewhat easier to upgrade than previous models because there's no fuckton of fragile cables needing to be undone.

The dual core MBP is a really bad deal, though. It costs more than even a 6-core i7 mac mini. You'll trade an i7-8700 for a display and keyboard.

Yes, the Mac Pro 4,1 dual CPU model especially is awesome. You can firmware update it to be a 5,1 and with a GPU upgrade, you can run macOS Mojave.

The Mac Mini 2014 is indeed dual core only, the 2011 and 2012 had quad core i7 options. Retina MBP 15" 2012-2015 are also great machines.

It seems that upgrading some hardware is necessary.

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Why does anyone ever buy apple products? They all overheat too...

• nice feeling hardware
  • good looking hardware
  • macOS is awesome

Trans | She/Her or They/Them

PhoneNokia 7.2 | 128GB | Android

PC: Asus Z370-P | Core i3 8100 | R9 290X | 16GB RAM | 250GB SSD + 500GB SSD | Silverstone RV03 | Windows 10 Insider

What not to touch:

- the new Macbook Air (undervolted, throttling dual core trash)

- the Macbook (again, undervolted dual core trash)

- in fact, anything from Apple that comes with a dual core

- anything that doesn't come with an ssd and at least 8gb of ram

What to consider:

- the Mac Mini (the value is bad, but it's still the cheapest of the bunch and most configuration are acceptable - aka with a quad core, an ssd and 8gb+ of ram)

- the iMac (again, make sure it meets the minimum specs to be usable)

- the Macbook Pro (with a quad core chip)

What to consider buying used:

- a pre-2016 15" quad core macbook pro if it's cheaper than the other options

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

17 minutes ago, OskarKE said:

The current mac mini doesn't have a dual core version.

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

20 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

it's the same hardware as everyone else

same thing as windows, aside from like some music making stuff maybe, final cut, and required for iOS development.

Spoiler

41 minutes ago, Moraaaaa said:

You can possibly just set up MacOS in a virtual machine so you don't actually have to buy a mac to do iOS stuff.

Spoiler

If you have the space, I'd go with an older Mac Pro (not the trashcan) and upgrade it. People think Macs are nice on the outside, but Apple had a great streak with their internals before this not-user-serviceable -fad. I'd just see what's available locally, make a shortlist from a few cleanest ones and research which one of them provides the best value through upgrades. You'll want to pick it up, they're heavy.

If you find no joy in hardware, you could consider building a Hackintosh?

10 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

it's the same hardware as everyone else

same thing as windows, aside from like some music making stuff maybe, final cut, and required for iOS development.

nope. Apple trackpads are a lot better than Windows laptops. 

macOS is very different from Windows. you're just wrong. 

PC: Asus Z370-P | Core i3 8100 | R9 290X | 16GB RAM | 250GB SSD + 500GB SSD | Silverstone RV03 | Windows 10 Insider

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

macOS is very different from Windows. you're just wrong. 

It's basically the same thing, except it doesn't really run games I guess

My thinkpad's trackpad has never failed me.

Spoiler

if you already have a pc with intel cpu and amd gpu chances are it can run mac os (hackintosh)

once you set it up it runs ok 99% of the time

Just now, Streetguru said:

It's basically the same thing, except it doesn't really run games I guess

macOS is unix based for one. that's a pretty big difference to me. 

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

My thinkpad's trackpad has never failed me.

good for you. 

2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

macOS is unix based for one. that's a pretty big difference to me. 

good for you. 

I think I will use macox soon. I hope it is as good as you said.

Just now, Moraaaaa said:

I think I will use macox soon. I hope it is as good as you said.

i really like it. i hope you will too :) 

18 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

You can possibly just set up MacOS in a virtual machine so you don't actually have to buy a mac to do iOS stuff.

yep i know it.

But as a developer actually has a mac is the best choice.It will avoid some unnecessary trouble.

Get the latest Macbook pro retina without the touchbar if you want the best for the buck.

But not offered new anymore, you have to find it in used market.

I really hate the new keyboard, its like hitting your fingers on to a plank wood, no tactile.

If you're confused with mac lineup, you'll be much more confused with Windows laptop lineup, numerous brands and configurations. All good, all cheap(er).

But really if all you do is writing code, the newest Macbook Air with "Dual Core" i5 (yuck!!) will be great!

It is a really good on the go laptop, great battery life.

At home get a 24 inch IPS LCD monitor and a usb-c - to hdmi / display port, a USB Mechanical Keyboard + usb-c to usb-a.

And you're golden.