Lab Grown Meat gets closer to see consumer plates

The Benjamins
59 minutes ago, bitsandpieces said:

No, I'm implying that you are still required to put resources in this synthetic meat to be produced

And what will you do with the animals? exterminate them?

On a side note: a hunter over here spoke about endangered species, animals that have been banned from being hunted

For example bears, they started to wonder out of the woods and going into towns and local villages because there's no longer interest and money in feeding them into the wild, so they wonder outside their natural habitat for food

That's like saying I'll take gas cars over electric cars because they still take energy, but like 100x the scale. 

About 15 gallons of water and 15 gallons of feed, 75 square feet of land go into a SINGLE pound of beef. That was the LOWEST BY FAR estimate I found, and that's directly. In the total process, way more goes into it, and it's a hotly disputed topic as some claim numbers that are 10-20x higher. These above numbers are from the industry.

I mean think of the fucking space required to raise these animals in the most physically cramped possible conditions. 

And then there's shit like methane. 

Image result for methane output of cows

Cows produce a stupid amount of methane. 
Image result for carbon output of cow
It's something like nearly a quarter of the total methane output of the US. 

Oh, remember how I said the efficiency of meat energy is about 5%? Some grains, corn, etc is above 90% in terms of resources we put in vs energy we get out- most of the energy is solar. Some estimates are over 100% because of this. 

The idea that anywhere near the amount of energy required to make meat now will be required to make lab grown meat once it reaches a high level of production is inane. I mean even the transport energy costs- there will be less steps and more dense travel. 

And what will you do with the animals? exterminate them?

What the hell do you mean by that? We already slaughter them, eventually the demands will lower and we'll stop breeding as many. What, you think we're gonna build cow auschwitz? Burn it all and cut our losses? It's still perfectly good meat. This isn't gonna be 1 night we go to bed and when we wake up synthetic meat is a full developed market and production cycle. It will probably never be outlawed. There's like nearly 100 million cows in the US. Well just have less cows lol. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

5 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

That's like saying I'll take gas cars over electric cars because they still take energy, but like 100x the scale. 

About 15 gallons of water and 15 gallons of feed, 75 square feet of land go into a SINGLE pound of beef. That was the LOWEST BY FAR estimate I found, and that's directly. In the total process, way more goes into it, and it's a hotly disputed topic as some claim numbers that are 10-20x higher. These above numbers are from the industry.

I mean think of the fucking space required to raise these animals in the most physically cramped possible conditions. 

And then there's shit like methane. 

Cows produce a stupid amount of methane. 

It's something like nearly a quarter of the total methane output of the US. 

Oh, remember how I said the efficiency of meat energy is about 5%? Some grains, corn, etc is above 90% in terms of resources we put in vs energy we get out- most of the energy is solar. Some estimates are over 100% because of this. 

The idea that anywhere near the amount of energy required to make meat now will be required to make lab grown meat once it reaches a high level of production is inane. I mean even the transport energy costs- there will be less steps and more dense travel. 

What the hell do you mean by that? We already slaughter them, eventually the demands will lower and we'll stop breeding as many. What, you think we're gonna build cow auschwitz? Burn it all and cut our losses? It's still perfectly good meat. This isn't gonna be 1 night we go to bed and when we wake up synthetic meat is a full developed market and production cycle. It will probably never be outlawed. There's like nearly 100 million cows in the US. Well just have less cows lol. 

This is why my parents don't eat land meat anymore.

You will have more of a environmental impact reduction by not eating meat then driving a electric car. so buy that Ford 150 and go veterinarian. 

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

7 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

This is why my parents don't eat land meat anymore.

You will have more of a environmental impact reduction by not eating meat then driving a electric car. so buy that Ford 150 and go veterinarian. 

lol. 

For me electric cars are about the cost to the consumer. The only reason I'd get a tesla right now is cool factor, nothing else. Still the cost of a new car resources wise is very high, and an electric car doesn't make up for that. 

I eat meat, hardcore. But I know the future will be lab grown, and since people will never stop eating meat, it's a great way to pretty much give environmentalists or anti-meat industry people what they want for a large part. Greatly reduce the impact and take the race to the bottom cost out of the live animal market. Make it a niche since it will be more expensive, and eventually subject to more and more regulation on  animal treatment. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

17 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

And .. what's the problem you're looking to solve exactly?

I don't see anyone complaining about space, water and the rest that goes into it

And as I said in the reply to the other guy, we still need them for animal byproducts like milk, wool, hide, etc - they're not going away, their numbers won't diminish by any meaningful numbers

And the main problem you still haven't answered is who's going to buy this? Meat is still cheap, otherwise people would not be buying it

Why would people buy synthetic meat over natural one?

As for the electric cars, what a joke

They still need energy, and that energy is still getting produced by fossil fuels

1 hour ago, bitsandpieces said:

What constitutes excess? We still need cows, sheep, goats for milk and other byproducts (wool, hides, etc)

So, the resources would not be actually reduced at all

Excess is the amount of cows we need that will make up the byproducts, which is FAR less than the amount we need for food and byproducts 

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

1 hour ago, bitsandpieces said:

What constitutes excess? We still need cows, sheep, goats for milk and other byproducts (wool, hides, etc)

So, the resources would not be actually reduced at all

Also cows for milk don't require near as much feed as cows for meat are. 

3 minutes ago, bitsandpieces said:

I don't see anyone complaining about space, water and the rest that goes into it

And as I said in the reply to the other guy, we still need them for animal byproducts like milk, wool, hide, etc

And the main problem you still haven't answered is who's going to buy this? Meat is still cheap, otherwise people would not be buying it

It soon will be cheaper. Without a doubt. That's why people will buy it. 

1 minute ago, Shally said:

I'm gonna chuckle - don't you see the chicken and egg problem?

And as I said in the reply to the other guy, we still need them for animal byproducts like milk, wool, hide, etc

Just now, Shally said:

Also Lab Meat can be healthier, and help reduce the over use of antibiotics.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

Also Lab Meat can be healthier, and help reduce the over use of antibiotics.

Can be? But it's not? What's the point?

1 minute ago, bitsandpieces said:

miss the point entirely and quote half the post. You know shit like milk comes from different cows right? Lol. And hide's demand doesn't match meat demand. 

It's not about eliminating farming of animals, It's reducing the incredibly massive scale. 

I have repeatedly beat the point into your head that meat is in it's current state incredibly inefficient in terms of both cost and energy. Lab grown meat, once reaching scale, will be cheaper and more efficient to produce by far- it would be close to the cost and efficiency of plants, which are 10x plus more efficient currently. 

Who will eat it? Everyone, you'll have no choice. Once it's accepted by people as normal (or even before), it will slowly reach its way into cheap meat for fast food, filler for real meat (see pink slime) and at some point, natural meat will probably be only used as an advertising point for any food you buy pre-made. Oh, and "made with natural meat" wont mean you'll have no lab grown meat, WITH being the key word, like made WITH whole grain. So do watch out for that. 

muh specs 

All parts black

4 minutes ago, bitsandpieces said:

I'm gonna chuckle - don't you see the chicken and egg problem?

no.

2 minutes ago, bitsandpieces said:

it's also about 50 grand a burger patty, so it's current state is a moot point as it's not anything but testing as of yet. 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

miss the point entirely and quote half the post. You know shit like milk comes from different cows right? Lol. And hide's demand doesn't match meat demand. 

It's not about eliminating farming of animals, It's reducing the incredibly massive scale. 

No I haven't missed the point at all

What';s the number for eliminating the animals for meat from the equation, how are those numbers going to impact the end result? You do not have an answer! Why, because all of this is preaching bull crap .. oh, the irony

what do you "But it's not" I said can due to it not being publicly available, but Lab Meat will never be exposed to poisons and chemicals natural meat is exposed to. Also Lab Meat can be made closer to stores and cities allowing for it to be fresher due to shorter shipping times.

What';s the number for eliminating the animals for meat from the equation, how are those numbers going to impact the end result? You do not have an answer!

stop half quoting me. 

I've already covered that, I'm done. You're clearly just in your own world and that's a-ok. 

muh specs 

All parts black

2 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

no.

it's also about 50 grand a burger patty, so it's current state is a moot point as it's not anything but testing as of yet. 

1. I haven't asked you

2. I don't eat burgers, the main problem the US needs to solve is what they eat, then all of those related issues will be addressed

Just now, bitsandpieces said:

1. I haven't asked you

2. I don't eat burgers, the main problem the US needs to solve is what they eat, then all of those related issues will be addressed

or

or

or

grow meat just like fucking plants wow what a novel idea? 

muh specs 

All parts black

3 hours ago, Shally said:

I'm shocked at how many people of this sub aren't willing to even consider changing their ways even when told about how beneficial this stuff is.

You've not been paying attention.  Wait till you see a topic about which is the best anti-virus software and you'll quickly witness a techsite community largely and loudly pull the worst answer out of not even having one and then they'll promote the ludicrous notion.

50 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

What';s the number for eliminating the animals for meat from the equation, how are those numbers going to impact the end result? You do not have an answer! Why, because all of this is preaching bull crap .. oh, the irony

That video gives some numbers of cows raised and killed soley for meat production.

2 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

what do you "But it's not" I said can due to it not being publicly available, but Lab Meat will never be exposed to poisons and chemicals natural meat is exposed to. Also Lab Meat can be made closer to stores and cities allowing for it to be fresher due to shorter shipping times.

Huh!? Chemicals and poisons? You mean like the chemicals and poisons that have to go into producing synthetic meat? What a joke!

"fresher due to shorter shipping"?! Is the meat not fresh? What the hell are you even implying?

I'm gonna stop replying on this topic because some people only seem interested into preaching and not having a true debate on the why

There's also the issue that meat contains some nutrients needed for the human body to develop, nutrients that can't be synthesized and have to be sourced from natural meat

True NPCs ?

Just now, bitsandpieces said:

Huh!? Chemicals and poisons? You mean like the chemicals and poisons that have to go into producing synthetic meat? What a joke!

"fresher due to shorter shipping"?! Is the meat not fresh? What the hell are you even implying?

Have you never heard of pesticides, cleaning products, antibiotics, preservatives.

@bitsandpieces are you able to respond with out it being some pre canned, pre programmed response that does not disregard the facts. What kinda logic is it to use poisons in a food product created in a sterile lab environment. Labs are far cleaner then farms.

12 minutes ago, bitsandpieces said:

I bet you think Vaccines are bad because they carry microbes

9 minutes ago, bitsandpieces said:

I'm gonna stop replying on this topic because some people only seem interested into preaching and not having a true debate on the why

There's also the issue that meat contains some nutrients needed for the human body to develop, nutrients that can't be synthesized and have to be sourced from natural meat

True NPCs ?

>using the NPC on a non-political thread

LEARN
MEME

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition