Lab Grown Meat gets closer to see consumer plates

The Benjamins
25 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Ok, so, they consume all that to live. Which they would one way or the other if they are alive. And if we all of a sudden don't need them anymore, what do you think it would happen to them? Just released intot he wild with cows just randomly wandering through fields and forests? No. They'd basically be gone as species.

Cattle are more than capable of living in the wild, they'd be the largest animals in many ecosystems and they'd have no trouble finding food in many climates. If anything we'd have the opposite problem - we have so many cattle that simply releasing them all would destroy the ecosystem. Ideally, they'd still be on farms but not be bred (and slaughtered) as intensively as they are now.

1 hour ago, Sakkura said:

That's nonsense. Agriculture was invented around 11,000 years ago. And computers are not natural, no. When's the last time you ran into a flock of reindeer with a server or a lizard with a laptop?

image.png.6be1a628077609570dc7818714967b74.png

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Imagine there being kits someday for growing your own burger at home lol. I would certainly try it if it meant some "organic" cheaply grown meat for a burger 1-2 additional days a week cause good burger meat is getting more and more expensive. Would certainly be interesting and I'd be kinda open for it. That said, I'd still value a real meat burger over lab grown any day :) 

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido

7 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Imagine there being kits someday for growing your own burger at home lol. I would certainly try it if it meant some "organic" cheaply grown meat for a burger 1-2 additional days a week cause good burger meat is getting more and more expensive. Would certainly be interesting and I'd be kinda open for it. That said, I'd still value a real meat burger over lab grown any day :) 

Ehh, I think this would be a lot cheaper to produce in bulk than to make at home.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

43 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Cattle are more than capable of living in the wild, they'd be the largest animals in many ecosystems and they'd have no trouble finding food in many climates. If anything we'd have the opposite problem - we have so many cattle that simply releasing them all would destroy the ecosystem. Ideally, they'd still be on farms but not be bred (and slaughtered) as intensively as they are now.

image.png.6be1a628077609570dc7818714967b74.png

Their survival in the wild isn't questionable, the space for them is. Would you as a farmer like that some random cows are wandering over your fields and mowing your crops? And I'm not even talking herds of them, I'm talking ~10 cows doing that. No farmer would like that. I live in countryside and no farmer would want that to be happening. So, the problem isn't survival, it's the living space where we'd allow them to be.

2 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Their survival in the wild isn't questionable, the space for them is. Would you as a farmer like that some random cows are wandering over your fields and mowing your crops? And I'm not even talking herds of them, I'm talking ~10 cows doing that. No farmer would like that. I live in countryside and no farmer would want that to be happening. So, the problem isn't survival, it's the living space where we'd allow them to be.

Why would it be different from deer or wild boars?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

18 hours ago, dizmo said:

Clearly you've never heard of free range, or small farms where they only have a small handful of animals.

Vastly different than commercial farms.

I don't know where this is viable, where I'm from anything less than 200 cows isn't even enough to live off of. 

I'm shocked at how many people of this sub aren't willing to even consider changing their ways even when told about how beneficial this stuff is. It will literally save so many lives in the long run but "hur dur I want natural meat with my natural medication and my natural lifestyle, who cares if it's killing both humans and animals"

Irish in Vancouver, what's new?

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Its really just very advanced farming. 

I like this take on things. Were farming cows before their even conceived that's how smart humans have gotten.

8 hours ago, Lach1230 said:

Parents own some land (6 Acres) Have a couple head of Dexter cattle on it, worm/fly treatment a few times a year. Some food in the dry months thats about it. Harvest at 9-12 months for 60-80kg of meat.

(Not very uncommon in Australia at least)

You pay a butcher to come kill, butcher and dispose of the cow for a few hundred.

I'll defiantly try it, but I don't think ill stop eating natural meat.

That's good, I don't mind that at all. But those farms make up a tiny % of the meat being farmed.

4 minutes ago, Shally said:

I like this take on things. Were farming cows before their even conceived that's how smart humans have gotten.

I mean crops and farm animals today are just selectivly bread food machines.

Crops and farm animals today arent what they once were. 

I do like farm animals, and animal cruelty is awful. Meat without animals is just very advanced farming for meat. 

as someone coming from a region that is 80% cattle ranch this worries me. i can see the benefit but i can also see it ruin the entire area.

on the bright side this will indeed reduce those brutal slaughter from our side if it comes down to this being an alternative & people widely accepting it,  technically seeing it as 'life as nature provide we can co-exist without harming another species or in from a moral high ground (a proper one) this is actually a good thing.

on the other side , how it will impact things?  in terms of Natural & authentic to manufactured & lab grown.  i'm pretty sure if you were offered fresh coconut water in a glass & on another flavored water with added mineral & vitamins similar to that of coconut that tastes the same , you'd prefer the actual thing, but that entirely depends on personal politics, i've argued with vegans before , so people have reasons to follow things in a certain way . so preference will be a big factor here.

every living thing in the food chain have survived in this planet for so long sudden change maybe good or maybe bad , we may have reduced cancer causing agents if this is much cleaner form of food material, so it might be good, or might mutate our system in long term due to sudden change & bite back harder , who knows?

Details separate people.

4 minutes ago, ADM-Ntek said:

as someone coming from a region that is 80% cattle ranch this worries me. i can see the benefit but i can also see it ruin the entire area.

is other types of farming possible or does the region make it unprofitable to run different farming produces?

currently live in a region that relies on animal farming somewhat due to limited farmable land. farming is going down in my region so i wouldnt see this affecting too much as smaller farms sadly have to be annexed for people who need to produce potatoes, carrots or refitted for cherry farming. (town went from no cherry farming to 50% of the country output very quickly)

10 minutes ago, ADM-Ntek said:

Well complex meats are still far away, like steak. But I don't think natural meat will ever die, it will just become the premium option.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Here: 

This video here somewhat explains in simplified manner on whether if GMO's are bad or not. There are sources available in the description of the video which would most likely explain a few things more detailed. 

Desktops

- The specifications of my almighty machine:

MB: MSI Z370-A Pro || CPU: Intel Core i3 8350K 4.00 GHz || RAM: 20GB DDR4  || GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX1070 || Storage: 1TB HDD & 250GB HDD  & 128GB x2 SSD || OS: Windows 10 Pro & Ubuntu 21.04

4 hours ago, Sakkura said:

When's the last time you ran into a flock of reindeer with a server or a lizard with a laptop?

Just yesterday, in fact.  Why, just the other day I was having a fascinating conversation with a lizard over the benefits of AMD vs Intel.

1 hour ago, Shally said:

I'm shocked at how many people of this sub aren't willing to even consider changing their ways even when told about how beneficial this stuff is.

Perhaps because we're less trusting than you that this actually is beneficial.

20 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

to reduce the cost, space, and energy of producing meat. 

By consuming energy, wasting space and have some unknown priced synthetic meat?!

Why would anyone buy this?

8 minutes ago, bitsandpieces said:

By consuming energy, wasting space and have some unknown priced synthetic meat?!

Why would anyone buy this?

are you...implying synthetic meat would cost more in terms of energy and space to make? 

Do you not know the energy that goes into one steak? Like it's ludicrous, and it's amazing we can farm on the scale we already do.

The total efficiency factor, ignoring space, is like less than 5% of the inputs. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

are you...implying synthetic meat would cost more in terms of energy and space to make? 

Do you not know the energy that goes into one steak? Like it's ludicrous, and it's amazing we can farm on the scale we already do.

No, I'm implying that you are still required to put resources in this synthetic meat to be produced

And what will you do with the animals? exterminate them?

On a side note: a hunter over here spoke about endangered species, animals that have been banned from being hunted

For example bears, they started to wonder out of the woods and going into towns and local villages because there's no longer interest and money in feeding them into the wild, so they wonder outside their natural habitat for food

19 hours ago, ignaloidas said:

I've seen quite disagreeing opinions here. I think that this is neither good, neither bad development. Lab grown meet is cool and all, but if all the meat becomes lab-grown, then who's going to use the "lover lever" crops, that make up up to 50% of all grown crops? Currently such crops are used only by farms and considered not suitable for human usage. If farms cease to exist, then no one be around to use such crops. So who is going to eat them? You? Or should we just burn it? Currently farm sizes are mostly limited by the amount of feed it can get. If no one is going to use that feed, who's gonna pay to farmers for they crop, now that only 50% of it is usable and other goes to waste? There are a lot of questions about this stuff, and if we don't find answers, it's not going to end well. /philosophy

Still pretty cool.

they could grow something different...

Insanity is not the absence of sanity, but the willingness to ignore it for a purpose. Chaos is the result of this choice. I relish in both.

Just now, bitsandpieces said:

No, I'm implying that you are still required to put resources in this synthetic meat to be produced

And what will you do with the animals? exterminate them?

On a side note: a hunter over here spoke about endangered species, animals that have been banned from being hunted

For example bears, they started to wonder out of the woods and going into towns and local villages because there's no longer interest and money in feeding them into the wild, so they wonder outside their natural habitat for food

Turn the excess into meat. 

And the energy to make lab meat is FAR less than normal meat

17 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

Just yesterday, in fact.  Why, just the other day I was having a fascinating conversation with a lizard over the benefits of AMD vs Intel.

Perhaps because we're less trusting than you that this actually is beneficial.

Well were 100% sure the method we have to day is NOT beneficial.

10 minutes ago, Shally said:

Turn the excess into meat. 

What constitutes excess? We still need cows, sheep, goats for milk and other byproducts (wool, hides, etc)

So, the resources would not be actually reduced at all

Tool Users and Tool Creators.  Two types of humans exist and they are separated by intelligence delta's.  The Tool Creators make it so that the Tool Users can exist on this planet in a relatively comfortable fashion (see also first ape to use a twig down an anthole to get them to climb the twig and then eat the ants off his new tool, now its engrained in the species).  What we have here is Tool Creators creating something Tool Users don't understand, and the User (who historically massively out populate the Creators) will fight it (with violence and ignorance) until they either (see Dark Ages, Salem Witch Trials) win, or lose in the long run to science.

If its meat, by the definition and molecular structure I see no problem.  But I will not be a Alpha or Beta "Tester" to this meat that is for sure.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case