Jagged Lines, Anti Aliasing, What the heck is happening?

NikoBellic1243

Hey Linus,

I recently bought a  new laptop, nothing too fancy just an average laptop to play my favorite video game when I'm away from my PC, and installed GTA IV on it; but, I am having a lot of trouble with it.

Firstly, I had to create a commandline.txt document in the directory of the game a type in, "-nomemrestrict -norestrictions -availablevidmem 10.0"

Secondly, I had to change the compatibility settings to disable fullscreen optimization. 

Thirdly, I had to create a shortcut of the launch applications and add the following text in the target box, " -nomemrestrict -norestrictions"

It was after doing all of this that I was able to change the graphic setting and run the game at the highest settings possible. The game works smoothly despite of it telling me the I'm using 1152/512 MB and that my graphic settings a near or exceeded. The problem is that the game has a lot if Jagged Lines, flickering. Even the game objects only load when I get really close to them. I don't know what to do. Could you, or anyone,  please help me; I don't want to remember one of my favorite games with frustrations and annoyance. 

The specs are: 

Intel Core i7-8550U @ 1.80 GHz, ~ 2.0 Ghz

12 GB ram

Intel HDU graphics 620 

NVIDIA GeForce MX 150 

My guess is that the game is not using Nvidia to render, instead relying on the Intel graphics and since, the CPU itself is powerful enough to run the game smoothly I am not seeing any lagging.

Sorry for the long post. I appreciate any kind of help.

Thanks  

It looks like the GPU you have, the MX150, is the mobile version of the GT 1030. Basically this means you need to turn your settings down.

My Build, v2.1 --- CPU: i7-8700K @ 5.2GHz/1.288v || MoBo: Asus ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming || RAM: 4x4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 2666 14-14-14-33 || Cooler: Custom Loop || GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black, on water || PSU: EVGA G2 850W || Case: Corsair 450D || SSD: 850 Evo 250GB, Intel 660p 2TB || Storage: WD Blue 2TB || G502 & Glorious PCGR Fully Custom 80% Keyboard || MX34VQ, PG278Q, PB278Q

Audio --- Headphones: Massdrop x Sennheiser HD 6XX || Amp: Schiit Audio Magni 3 || DAC: Schiit Audio Modi 3 || Mic: Blue Yeti

[Under Construction]

My Truck --- 2002 F-350 7.3 Powerstroke || 6-speed

My Car --- 2006 Mustang GT || 5-speed || BBK LTs, O/R X, MBRP Cat-back || BBK Lowering Springs, LCAs || 2007 GT500 wheels w/ 245s/285s

The Experiment --- CPU: i5-3570K @ 4.0 GHz || MoBo: Asus P8Z77-V LK || RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600 4x4 || Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo || GPUs: Asus GTX 750 Ti, || PSU: Corsair TX750M Gold || Case: Thermaltake Core G21 TG || SSD: 840 Pro 128GB || HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

R.I.P. Asus X99-A motherboard, April 2016 - October 2018, may you rest in peace. 5820K, if I ever buy you a new board, it'll be a good one.

It is a terrible port trying to work out with hardware that didn't exist when it released... there will be issues... GTV IV PC Port is a meme of its own.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Cereal5,

Thanks for the reply, I tired doing that but I don't see any difference. I mean, the resolution has gone down and the game looks a bit more choppy but the jagged lines and the flickering is still there. Heck, I think it's a bit more prominent now. 

Thanks, any other ideas? 

Princess Cadence,

Yeah, it is really annoying. I heard that a lot of people had trouble with graphics. That's why they had to add the commandline.txt.

Cereal5,

You are right about Nvidia being a mobile version of the GT 1030 (not to be picky, but it's a bit better than GT 1030). But, I've played GTA V on medium setting on this laptop, so I think the laptop is capable of running the game at high settings. 

Firstly welcom.

Secondly you've more chance of winning the lotto than linus answering this personally lol

The issue your having isnt an issue with your game, it's that your graphics card is well below the minimum required hardware for the game.

I'd go as far as saying the HD620 intigrated graphics were about as powerful!

The game will never look pretty on your hardware I'm afraid. Low settings and a lower resolution will get the game working though 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

4 minutes ago, NikoBellic1243 said:

Princess Cadence,

Yeah, it is really annoying. I heard that a lot of people had trouble with graphics. That's why they had to add the commandline.txt.

You need to quote people or tag them with the "at" symbol so they get notifications for threads they haven't subscribed to.

I suggest reading through this page https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Grand_Theft_Auto_IV

Especially the "Issues" section and instructions on how to force anti aliasing.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

The issue your having isnt an issue with your game, it's that your graphics card is well below the minimum required hardware for the game.

I'd go as far as saying the HD620 intigrated graphics were about as powerful!

That's nonsense. The MX150 is quite good for a mobile GPU, and definitely exceeds the requirements for a nearly decade old game. Performance wise it's about the same as a GTX 750 or GT 1030.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

@Badger906

hahaha, okay, I'll keep that in mind. 

Anyway, are you sure?  NVIDIA GeForce MX150 with 2GB of GDDR5 VRAM is about 25% more powerful than GeForce 940MX; and, mine has a VRAM of 4 GB. It is essentially the mobile version of NVIDIA's GT 1030 desktop GPU. I know that it's not intended as a high-end gaming chip, nonetheless it is still powerful enough to run GTA IV. Heck, I could play GTA V on medium setting on this laptop. So, I don't know. 

Your hardware is plenty powerful for GTA IV. I actually have the GT 1030 (GDDR5 version) in another project build and if it can run PUBG at 50 frames, im so sure it would be able to run GTA IV and V. My laptop has a GTX 860m with GTA IV installed and it runs on high. Have you tried playing at different resolutions? have you tried enabling Vsync? If you have a game running at 100 frames, but a monitor/screen that is locked in at 60 hertz, you can experience various stuttering or other rendering problems. Enabling vsync has corrected so many problems with older games on my laptop.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz

27 minutes ago, Brent744 said:

Your hardware is plenty powerful for GTA IV. I actually have the GT 1030 (GDDR5 version) in another project build and if it can run PUBG at 50 frames, im so sure it would be able to run GTA IV and V. My laptop has a GTX 860m with GTA IV installed and it runs on high. Have you tried playing at different resolutions? have you tried enabling Vsync? If you have a game running at 100 frames, but a monitor/screen that is locked in at 60 hertz, you can experience various stuttering or other rendering problems. Enabling vsync has corrected so many problems with older games on my laptop.

Hey, thanks for the idea but I've tried that. Do you know, or anybody for that matter, how I can force anti aliasing? Probably, change some settings in Nvidia control panel or something? anything? 

14 minutes ago, NikoBellic1243 said:

Hey, thanks for the idea but I've tried that. Do you know, or anybody for that matter, how I can force anti aliasing? Probably, change some settings in Nvidia control panel or something? anything? 

Yes, within the nVidia control panel. You can force graphic changes for specific programs or applications. Professionally, I am a flight simulation engineer now and I have had to do this same thing for the vsync setting within the control panel on each of the Workstations running the simulation environment.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

19 minutes ago, NikoBellic1243 said:

Did you just totally ignore my post with linked instructions?

15 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Did you just totally ignore my post with linked instructions?

No, I read it. But apparently NVIDIA Multiframe Anti aliasing is only requires GTX 900 series or above. Because, I made an exception for GTA IV application in the control panel of Nvidia. The application now has FXAA on, Antialiasing-setting is at 8x, Antialiasing-transparency is at 8x, and MFAA is on too. Yet, the problem persists.

So, any ideas?  

I remember having to tweak a couple things for my laptop as well for this title to work so I just checked to see what I had to change. Try removing the "-availablevidmem 10.0" from the commandline.txt. Mine only has "-nomemrestrict" and "-norestrictions".

In addition, my video usage is around 932/512 MB as well.

32 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Can you take a screenshot of the bad effects for us? Alt+F1 should do it.

Everytime, I take the screenshot of the game it comes as blank, unlike any other application on the computer. Anyway, here are some other screenshots of my settings. 

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Screenshot (16).png

Screenshot (17).png

Screenshot (18).png

19 minutes ago, NikoBellic1243 said:

Everytime, I take the screenshot of the game it comes as blank, unlike any other application on the computer. Anyway, here are some other screenshots of my settings. 

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Screenshot (16).png

Screenshot (17).png

Screenshot (18).png

Press Alt+Z and see if it brings up an Nvidia overlay in game. You should also change the mode from Enhance to Override.

8 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Press Alt+Z and see if it brings up an Nvidia overlay in game. You should also change the mode from Enhance to Override.

Yeah, the Nvidia overlay is not opening. However, it's much better now. The jagged lines a hardly noticeable now. I think, it was the antialising-mode setting. 

Thanks a lot man. Appreciate it. 

39 minutes ago, NikoBellic1243 said:
57 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Yeah, the Nvidia overlay is not opening. However, it's much better now. The jagged lines a hardly noticeable now. I think, it was the antialising-mode setting. 

Thanks a lot man. Appreciate it. 

F*CK it! it's still the same. I ran the benchmark tool and for some reason the game can't detect the video card.