Need advice: Server for small business.

I'm using a PC right now as a server with a file size of 4TB. There are 4 PCs connected to the that PC editing large format files at the same time using Photoshop which causes lags every time somebody saves a file or open the server.
I'm planning to add 8 more PC's and I'm pretty sure that my setup now will not handle it. What type of server would you recommend and it specs? Thank you!

Since you're not running a centralized authentication system such as Active Directory, a NAS would indeed be sufficient. You'll need to make sure your switch accepts a 10GbE connection, though. Usually the more decent gigabit switches support 10GbE over SFP, so that'd be my pick.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

2 hours ago, Jed Almonds said:

I'm using a PC right now as a server with a file size of 4TB. There are 4 PCs connected to the that PC editing large format files at the same time using Photoshop which causes lags every time somebody saves a file or open the server.
I'm planning to add 8 more PC's and I'm pretty sure that my setup now will not handle it. What type of server would you recommend and it specs? Thank you!

Also on a side note, any PC that handles a service for multiple (or one) other PC is technically a server ^^

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Greatly appreciate your answers. However, I have a tight budget (1,000-1,500 USD) Is there a model that checks both of my need and fund?

10 minutes ago, Jed Almonds said:

Greatly appreciate your answers. However, I have a tight budget (1,000-1,500 USD) Is there a model that checks both of my need and fund?

Yep. Do you have a rack by any chance? A rackmount solution could be a bit cleaner. Regular models are also readily available. Cost depends on how many bays you want and what kind of drives you want to use.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

On 11/19/2018 at 6:36 PM, Jed Almonds said:

I use the ASUSTOR AS4004T, It has 10GbE and it only cost me $359. It has 4 bays, it should be enough to check your needs and funds.

If you use SFP and RJ45 mixed, QNAP has a switch that has both for about $500. Otherwise, Edimax has an all-rj45 switch for $593 on Amazon. Aquantia also sells 10GbE cards for $79 on amazon as well. They're the best price so far.