Nvidia delists the RTX 2080 Ti (update: false)

Nowak

geforce-rtx-2080-ti-.jpg

Sauce: https://www.eteknix.com/geforce-rtx-2080-ti-de-listed-on-nvidias-online-store/

So amid a wave of controversy surrounding the flagship RTX 2080 Ti, with Nvidia acknowledging the card's high failure rate, Nvidia has quietly delisted the graphics card from its site, and no longer directly sells the Founders Edition or third-party RTX 2080 Tis to consumers via its own site.

Following the news of NVIDIA finally admitting that something is wrong with the RTX 2080 Ti FE, it appears that they have now stopped selling the offending product on their own web store. However, just like the issue “announcement”, they are doing this discreetly and trying to do it quietly. So far at least.

If you go to the GeForce online web store, you will notice that the RTX 2080 Ti is no longer listed. Although the actual product page is still up, once you click on the “Shop All” button, it will return with zero results (see screenshot below). It is also not listed on the side, with only the RTX 2080 and RTX 2070 present.

This may hint that Nvidia is planning on recalling the 2080 Ti. However, Nvidia has not stated what is wrong with the 2080 Ti.

So far NVIDIA has not been very forthcoming about what is really wrong with the RTX 2080 Ti. Outside of the forum thread at the GeForce forums, there has been no official statement or press release. That forum post is also from a forum moderator, not one of the more familiar company reps.

While Nvidia has a newer version of the 2080 Ti that they are issuing to RMAs, the fact that the 2080 Ti has been delisted shows this is a bigger problem than Nvidia is willing to admit. If the failure rate is as low as they suggested, a few "early test escapes"... there'd be no reason to delist. The fact they did shows there's way more.

Also, just for verification, here's the Nvidia store page. I can't say for sure if other storefronts will see a similar delisting of the RTX 2080 Ti, but the fact that Nvidia itself has delisted the 2080 Ti from its own site does not bode well for the graphics card.

B- but Nvidia, how can we just buy it if you don't sell it?! We need that ray tracing goodness, so that we can die happily!!!

Update:

Update 18/11/2018 20:29 GMT – A spokesperson from Nvidia has reached out to us to dismiss this story. Stating that the item is simply out of stock. Instead of showing as “out of stock”, the NVIDIA website simply removes the item from the store, which led us to believe that the item had been de-listed. This is false and we apologise for supplying false information. We’ll update again as any information arrises to that fact, or otherwise. 

Edited by Nowak

6 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Nvidia has not stated what is wrong with the 2080 Ti.

Why would they.

The need marketing spin doctors to get back on track.

I'm forever grateful I've decided to stick with my 1080ti; best graphics card purchase to date hands down.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

this has to be the most rushed product in quite some time...

yeah definitely. then again ray tracing is new so nvidia were gonna screw something up badly eventually.

I guess it got RTAxed from their lineup.

This has to be one of the most tragic high end video card launches in a long while. 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

4 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

They had 2 years.

2 fucking years.

2 minutes ago, MegaDave91 said:

I'm forever grateful I've decided to stick with my 1080ti; best graphics card purchase to date hands down.

I'm sticking to my 1070 myself. I'm partial to having graphics cards that don't fail in less than a month :P 

5 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

Don't forget the intel 7000-series ;)

AMDs time to shine 

Just now, Tummy said:

Don't forget the intel 7000-series ;)

what was wrong with kaby lake? 

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

They had 2 years.

2 fucking years.

indeed. and no competition.

She/Her

Just now, firelighter487 said:

what was wrong with kaby lake? 

indeed. and no competition.

I mean kaby-/skylake-X the higher end of the 7000-series

Heat.

i've never noticed it. i have a system with an i5 7400 in it, and that system was always fine even with the stock cooler. the stock cooler was loud tho...

She/Her

1 minute ago, Tummy said:

I mean kaby-/skylake-X the higher end of the 7000-series

ah ok that makes more sense. 

She/Her

Remember how it was primarily reference PCB's having issues? Perhaps that's why they've de-listed it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'm starting to regret my purchase of an RTX 2070. I knew going into it that RTX had not actually been proven to make a difference and bought it purely because it was better than a 1080 and only a little more expensive. I am worried about card failures but I don't believe there have been any reported failures in the lower end RTX cards, just the 2080 TIs.

1 minute ago, TunDrik said:

I'm starting to regret my purchase of an RTX 2070. I knew going into it that RTX had not actually been proven to make a difference and bought it purely because it was better than a 1080 and only a little more expensive. I am worried about card failures but I don't believe there have been any reported failures in the lower end RTX cards, just the 2080 TIs.

I've heard of some failures of the 2080, but they seem to be far more isolated incidents than the Ti.

I’m guessing bad capacitors, memory and such

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

I've heard of some failures of the 2080, but they seem to be far more isolated incidents than the Ti.

Just relying on that nice MSI warranty just in case.

Woah that’s pretty big news. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

From the article:

Update 18/11/2018 20:29 GMT – A spokesperson from Nvidia has reached out to us to dismiss this story. Stating that the item is simply out of stock. Instead of showing as “out of stock”, the NVIDIA website simply removes the item from the store, which led us to believe that the item had been de-listed. This is false and we apologise for supplying false information. We’ll update again as any information arrises to that fact, or otherwise. 

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

2 minutes ago, patriciadiaz1919 said:

Any updated 

It was just out of stock.