STAR WARS™ Episode I Racer - Now available on Steam!!!

NOW THIS IS PODRACING!

So it seems that Valve has just added STAR WARS™ Episode I Racer to Steam this November 17, 2018 and the game is even on sale until the 24th of November. (Expecting the obvious, it's gonna be on sale again this December)

...though GoG had this game since May 1, 2018.

Here's a video of the gameplay before release -

It's nice that one of the remaining Star Wars classic games I played during my childhood has finally made it to Steam in the "STAR WARS™ Complete Collection" Bundle.

Slightly "meh" news is that if you bought the Star Wars bundle before, you won't get this game for free. They did the same thing with STAR WARS™ SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE™ which I had to purchase separately ( because sadly enough, the Shadows of the Empire game is not included in the Star Wars bundle on Steam).

However if you already have some Star Wars games in your Steam Library, you can purchase this as part of the bundle to make it even cheaper. Currently on sale at 25% off in my region; a bit over 40% off if I purchase the bundle to "complete" my collection.

Memories - I remember finishing this game as a kid. The game itself was harder than a lot of racing games because it was super fast-paced. This is the first racing game I played where you can upgrade parts of your vehicle (you won't get to mod how it looks though) and the parts itself does degrade if you aren't careful enough.

My first playthrough I had a tough time as I ran out of in-game currency to make repairs or buy parts because I was bad at racing. After finishing the game multiple times, I managed to figure out a strategy to earn in-game currency by selling parts and purchasing slightly damaged parts then the parts get repaired as long as I finish the race without crashing or throttling much.

One last game to complete my childhood is "Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace" the game that taught me how to hate Jar Jar Binks...

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

3 minutes ago, BachChain said:

Had no idea there was a PC port

It was released on PC in 1999 and has been updated to work on Windows 10. 60fps makes a huge difference.

Best game ever !!

53 minutes ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

i still prefer the logo games...

*lego

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

For a second there I was excited and thought we were getting a new Star Wars game not from Electronic Farts.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

For a second there I was excited and thought we were getting a new Star Wars game not from Electronic Farts.

I mean isn't it from Lucas Arts 

Just now, RorzNZ said:

I mean isn't it from Lucas Arts 

Keyword being new.

This game is almost 20 years old.

IT'S A NEW LAP RECORD

i7 2600k @ 5GHz 1.49v - EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 - 16GB DDR3 2000MHz Corsair Vengence

Asus p8z77-v lk - 480GB Samsung 870 EVO w/ W10 LTSC - 2x1TB HDD storage - 240GB SATA SSD w/ W7 - EVGA 650w 80+G G2

3x 1080p 60hz Viewsonic LCDs, 1 glorious Dell CRT running at anywhere from 60hz to 120hz

Model M w/ Soarer's adapter - Logitch g502 - Audio-Techinca M20X - Cambridge SoundWorks speakers w/ woofer

1 hour ago, AluminiumTech said:

Keyword being new.

This game is almost 20 years old.

Hardly anything my a major title is really new now though lol

2 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

I like how the first Star Wars Lego game implemented podracing in a creative way. I mean pod racing makes sense as a Lego game and I wish they expanded on this maybe even making a spin-off of the Episode I Lego games.

1 hour ago, 2Buck said:

IT'S A NEW LAP RECORD

The nostalgia. As a kid, it was one of the things that encouraged me to play this game beyond 8 hours lol.

14 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

Hardly anything my a major title is really new now though lol

A lot of companies no longer make fun games. They just focus on the ones that they can milk for a long time.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

5 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

A lot of companies no longer make fun games. They just focus on the ones that they can milk for a long time.

I've been milking this game since 2001 lol. 

7 minutes ago, TheBritishVillain said:

I played a Star Wars game years ago on PS1 with my sister where you were only vehicles and had to fight each other.

(think Mario Kart battle mode.)

Does anyone know what it is called???

Sorry I haven't heard of it. Apparently, LucasArts made lots of games for the earlier consoles like PS1, N64, GameCube etc - a lot of which hadn't made it into the PC even after that time. Would like to know it tho.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

I've been milking this game since 2001 lol. 

I think you meant milking the fun out of this game lol which I even did for years after. I think I still had the original CD for this game somewhere in my house, I'll try to picture it when I find it.

hat I was trying to say was some companies like to milk more money out of games by implementing monetization schemes like subscriptions and lootboxes hehe.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

I think you meant milking the fun out of this game lol which I even did for years after. I think I still had the original CD for this game somewhere in my house, I'll try to picture it when I find it.

hat I was trying to say was some companies like to milk more money out of games by implementing monetization schemes like subscriptions and lootboxes hehe.

They sure do, but I just don't buy those games, apart from SC2 which I already bought. Not a great business practice for the consumer. 

6 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

One last game to complete my childhood is "Star Wars: Episode I – The Phantom Menace" the game that taught me how to hate Jar Jar Binks...

That one was cool, especially the "open world" on Tatooine. 

Probably can't release it because of movie rights.

3 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

Hated those for the simple fact that you're not really penalized for dying.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

1 hour ago, Raskolnikov said:

Hated those for the simple fact that you're not really penalized for dying.

you do know the game was meant for kids, not for adults who know the consequences of dying in a agme?

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

F-Zero X was better

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, Salv8 (sam) said:

you do know the game was meant for kids, not for adults who know the consequences of dying in a agme?

Could have still included difficulty modes.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

Back in the day when it came out my pc wasn't fast enough to play this smoothly. ? Game was a blast, I may consider it it will be a lot of fun with my steam controller.

Suprised that this came out on steam rather than origin though. I thought that the strategy from EA would be to keep all LucasArts's PC game releases or re-releases to Origin.

16 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

Currently on sale at 25% off in my region; a bit over 40% off if I purchase the bundle to "complete" my collection.

u did not list a price, I like games that are cheap and good.

3 hours ago, Canada EH said:

u did not list a price, I like games that are cheap and good.

Sorry about that, but if I list my region's pricing you might get disappointed with your's since the difference is big sometimes. Games listed in the Philippines store and even SEA in general are waaaaay cheaper than in NA, EU, and AU.

This was a change made I think 4 or 5 years ago by Valve. Sales of USD5.00 games turned into PHP125.00 Which is like half the price. This also led Valve to region-locking games purchased which is sad IMO lol.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Humbug said:

Back in the day when it came out my pc wasn't fast enough to play this smoothly. ? Game was a blast, I may consider it it will be a lot of fun with my steam controller.

Suprised that this came out on steam rather than origin though. I thought that the strategy from EA would be to keep all LucasArts's PC game releases or re-releases to Origin.

I played this on an integrated chipset lol. Had the same issue on some levels, mainly because my PC ran out of RAM most of the time.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler