Cant get to desktop with the GPU connected

I had a problem with my bios, i updated it and i was left with a useless pc, i managed to downgrade it and it works again, i managed to install windows 7 but i can only get to the desktop if i take the gpu out of the motherboard (ga z97x gaming 7), with the GPU connected it will freeze at the light blue 'starting Windows' screen, i booted in secure mode with the gpu and installed the gpu's drivers (gtx 970) and tried booting normally with the GPU connected, now it freezes even sooner, at the black 'starting windows' screen.

What can i do? I tried resetting the CMOS taking out the battery, i tried loading the optimized defaults in ghd BIOS, i tried a different PCIE slot, i dont know what to do.
Any help is appreciated!

start the machine in safe mode with the gpu installed

from what i read you havent tried that configuration yet and idk how you installed the drivers for it without the card actually being present

15 minutes ago, emosun said:

start the machine in safe mode with the gpu installed

from what i read you havent tried that configuration yet and idk how you installed the drivers for it without the card actually being present

I did try that, thats when it started freezing even sooner

1 hour ago, Federicoarce3 said:

I had a problem with my bios, i updated it and i was left with a useless pc, i managed to downgrade it and it works again, i managed to install windows 7 but i can only get to the desktop if i take the gpu out of the motherboard (ga z97x gaming 7), with the GPU connected it will freeze at the light blue 'starting Windows' screen, i booted in secure mode with the gpu and installed the gpu's drivers (gtx 970) and tried booting normally with the GPU connected, now it freezes even sooner, at the black 'starting windows' screen.

What can i do? I tried resetting the CMOS taking out the battery, i tried loading the optimized defaults in ghd BIOS, i tried a different PCIE slot, i dont know what to do.
Any help is appreciated!

Well maybe God is punishing you for installing Windoz 7 instead of uncle billys latest OS hehe. NAH Im just kidding with you my friend.  Anyhow don't worry man well fix your problem.  Can you please fill in your signature so we can help you better.

This is odd, BIOS defaults and you can't get into a fresh install of winblowz.  If anyone else told me this issue, then its a simple fix ; it's a OC issue.  But your BIOS is defaults.. hmmmmmm sighs.  What is mind boggling is how it lets you install windows just fine, but it doesn't boot up.  Im stumped man.

One thing you can try is testing out RAM.  I don't know your config, but try testing your RAM sticks. A BSOD can be caused by RAM issues and WIndows freezing upon boot up can be a RAM issue, alto usually its a CPU issue or overclocking failure.

So test your RAM, one stick at a time.  This is all I can think of for you to do as of now, let us know what happens.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

15 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Well maybe God is punishing you for installing Windoz 7 instead of uncle billys latest OS hehe. NAH Im just kidding with you my friend.  Anyhow don't worry man well fix your problem.  Can you please fill in your signature so we can help you better.

This is odd, BIOS defaults and you can't get into a fresh install of winblowz.  If anyone else told me this issue, then its a simple fix ; it's a OC issue.  But your BIOS is defaults.. hmmmmmm sighs.  What is mind boggling is how it lets you install windows just fine, but it doesn't boot up.  Im stumped man.

One thing you can try is testing out RAM.  I don't know your config, but try testing your RAM sticks. A BSOD can be caused by RAM issues and WIndows freezing upon boot up can be a RAM issue, alto usually its a CPU issue or overclocking failure.

So test your RAM, one stick at a time.  This is all I can think of for you to do as of now, let us know what happens.

I have 2x8 sticks, tried with 1, with both, with none, placing them in different channels, nothing. Cant get it to boot with my gpu connected, just without it 

44 minutes ago, emosun said:

has this card ever worked in this board

Yes, everything worked fine before the bios update to f8(latest version), then it nothing worked, nothing at all, couldnt even install windows and my pc powercycled like 4 times before i could get into bios, then i managed to downgrade to f6, which is the version i had when everything was fine, i now can install win 7, but i cant boot it with my gpu, it will freeze before desktop. Without gpu , using the integrated graphics , windows boots normally.

I have a bad feeling the BIOS flash messed up your motherboard or video card or the PCIe slot its in.  Only thing left to try is a different video card.  Then we will know its the motherboard or if its the graphics card.  See if you can temporarily get your hands on a video card and try her out.  good luck

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

32 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I have a bad feeling the BIOS flash messed up your motherboard or video card or the PCIe slot its in.  Only thing left to try is a different video card.  Then we will know its the motherboard or if its the graphics card.  See if you can temporarily get your hands on a video card and try her out.  good luck

I think its a motherboard failure, because i booted without the gpu, using the integrated graphics, then i installed the intel hd graphics driver for my processor, booted as it asked, and it freezes in starting windows, just as it was doing when i was trying my gpu...

1 hour ago, Federicoarce3 said:

I think its a motherboard failure, because i booted without the gpu, using the integrated graphics, then i installed the intel hd graphics driver for my processor, booted as it asked, and it freezes in starting windows, just as it was doing when i was trying my gpu...

Oh, then ya the motherboard went bonkers on you dude, sorry about that.... its ok man .. just RMA her, but I don't want you to be without a computer.  See if they can ship you a new mobo and get your credit card and charge you then once they receive your messed up motherboard they will remove the charge.

The new mobo they send you will most probably have a more recent BIOS ... so I don't think you should worry about flashing anymore.

17 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Oh, then ya the motherboard went bonkers on you dude, sorry about that.... its ok man .. just RMA her, but I don't want you to be without a computer.  See if they can ship you a new mobo and get your credit card and charge you then once they receive your messed up motherboard they will remove the charge.

The new mobo they send you will most probably have a more recent BIOS ... so I don't think you should worry about flashing anymore.

I managed to fix it i think, touching the vcore settings for the cpu, it was set to AUTO, i set a value myself and now it boots as it should with my gpu connected, finally!

Thankyou both for the help!