Do Macs degrade slower than an average PC

Maikiki
Message added by Crunchy Dragon

Reminder to keep this a civil discussion

24 minutes ago, wasab said:

How? Show me

E.g. show me how to install directx 12 and Cortana on it. 

That's not "update", that's install unsupported software. You also cannot install Siri on it.

You are right, a distro with no versioning, has no versioning... but what is this discussion again? Macs tend not to be used for newer software, thus stay the same. I don't see people trying to do 4k netflix on old Macs, but they do on Windows PCs.

IMO it's the users, not the computers that slow down. But MacOS stops you from doing that (as does Linux). I can run most older PCs/Laptops "quick". In fact, I barely ever use someone elses PC for the crap they install that bogs it down (virus scanners, CC cleaner etc, and the boot takes 2 mins). A Linux Distro and they'd have the same experience as Mac OS.

18 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

That's not "update", that's install unsupported software. You also cannot install Siri on it.

Why is it unsupported? Cuz os version is outdated and unsupported. Arch has no versions. I really don't understand why you guys keep admantly stating against the facts. It is cheap and childish way to score some validity in something which is inherently false. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

You don't understand Linux rolling release too well. You have experiences with Linux before?

Sudo make me a sandwich 

10 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

You are right, a distro with no versioning, has no versioning...

Wrong. Get out of Windows and apple ecosystem first before lecturing me on Linux. I had been using Linux as my sole OS and daily driver for the past 4 years 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 minutes ago, wasab said:

I had been using Linux as my sole OS and daily driver for the past 4 years

Doesn't mean jack shit.

6 minutes ago, wasab said:

I really don't understand why you guys keep admantly stating against the facts.

Screenshot_20181117-113727_Edge.jpg.9739ca8614af5465c18e0f5889fd4d15.jpg

8 minutes ago, wasab said:

You don't understand Linux rolling release too well.

It's literally decoupling major release versions from a conventional release schedule. Nothing more.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Doesn't mean jack shit.

Screenshot_20181117-113727_Edge.jpg.9739ca8614af5465c18e0f5889fd4d15.jpg

It's literally decoupling major release versions from a conventional release schedule. Nothing more.

Really? Then Arch must be on version 10,000th right now with 10,001st coming just a few months or even weeks from now so all the people using versions couple months/weeks old no longer received support and updates. Who would bloody use this distro???

Admitting your own mistakes is not shameful and is actually very virtualous. Would you care to try it? 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

4 minutes ago, wasab said:

Really? Then Arch must be on version 10,000th right now with 10,001st coming just a few months or even weeks from now so all the people using versions couple months/weeks old no longer received support and updates. Who would bloody use this distro???

You do realize that launching a new version of an OS does not make older versions unsupported. OSX is supported 2 years after it is replaced, Windows is supported half a decade after it is replaced.

Arch's current version is 2018.11.01. That is what the developers themselves say.

5 minutes ago, wasab said:

Would you care to try it? 

Should an opportunity presents itself, but it hasn't.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

You do realize that launching a new version of an OS does not make older versions unsupported. OSX is supported 2 years after it is replaced, Windows is supported half a decade after it is replaced.

Feel free to tell me how to install directx 12 and Cortana on Windows XP, Vista and windows 7 then. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

13 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Arch's current version is 2018.11.01. That is what the developers themselves say.

Should an opportunity presents itself, but it hasn't.

Yeah, just like Windows is on version cumulative update October 2018. Learn to differentiate the difference between OS versions and updates. 

If Arch releases new OS version each couple of months, they will be the most productive OS developers to date. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

2 hours ago, wasab said:

Wrong. Get out of Windows and apple ecosystem first before lecturing me on Linux. I had been using Linux as my sole OS and daily driver for the past 4 years 

Where have I lecured you?

The end of i686 support was announced in January 2017, with the February 2017 ISO being the last one including i686[14] and making the architecture unsupported in November 2017.

So, it's a rolling release. Not an everlasting OS.

Monthly updated ISO installation images are released on every first week of a month.[1] They contain the latest software from the stable repositories and stay unchanged until the following month. In most cases, older versions of the installation image may be used to install Arch Linux. Since the software is downloaded over the internet, a fresh installation always contains the newest software, although an update to the keys may be necessary in order to verify the software.

So, it has monthlies... or you can opt in to an actual "live" distro, where commits get added immediately to your OS. So? What has this got to do with the speed of processing on computers? If we did not change the OS/software installed, the PC/Mac would run the same speed theoretically forever.

9 minutes ago, TechyBen said:

Where have I lecured you?

So, it's a rolling release. Not an everlasting OS.

So, it has monthlies... or you can opt in to an actual "live" distro, where commits get added immediately to your OS. So? What has this got to do with the speed of processing on computers? If we did not change the OS/software installed, the PC/Mac would run the same speed theoretically forever.

My very original comment for bringing Arch and rolling release is to demonstrate Linux support lasts longer than either Mac or Windows if users follow a rolling release model. It isn't difficult to figure out x therefore y. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

Having used both a Macbook and Windows computers for a long time I  think I can give some view on this. 

1. In general, the build quality of the Mac's are better than any other PC out there. ( I am talking about the outside here )  But If you have bad luck you can have issues with the keyboard for example. 

2. In the hardware department, macs have a higher failure rate and are pretty much impossible to upgrade or repair.  Windows pc's and laptops do not have this (unless you buy an all in one) >  or depending on the laptop. 

3. Mac-os tents to drop support for older macs faster, but the machine will work on older software to and 3 party software support remains strong for a long time. 

4. Windows supports there machines for a longer time, because they write general drivers, and work with software that uses an emulation layer under it so it is easier to support older hardware. 

5. Macbooks have cheaper hardware in there but maintain their price tag for a longer time than those with Windows. ( See the old MacBook air that is still being sold even there is a newer one! And look at the second-hand prices for that one!)

So I think it depends on what you see " degrade slower" If it means pricetag then yes. If you're talking about os support then no. Finally, if you are talking about build quality then it is an " It depends" on if you're lucky.  :)  I think both can be great, and degrade in a different way! Let's be real, computers degrade fast no matter how you turn it.. :) 

3 hours ago, wasab said:

My very original comment for bringing Arch and rolling release is to demonstrate Linux support lasts longer than either Mac or Windows if users follow a rolling release model. It isn't difficult to figure out x therefore y. 

And Windows lasts longer if paying for extended support (If you own a Warship, you get lifetime support). Apples are not Oranges. XD

The thread is about speed of the OS, not the support length.

2 hours ago, TechyBen said:

And Windows lasts longer if paying for extended support (If you own a Warship, you get lifetime support). Apples are not Oranges. XD

The thread is about speed of the OS, not the support length.

The title is call does Mac degrades slower than PC. Not about it's speed. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

5 hours ago, wasab said:

The title is call does Mac degrades slower than PC. Not about it's speed. 

Degrade hardware or software? A Macs is built well on the outside, but worse than a PC on the inside.

LG and Samsung seem to make their laptops as well, or better, than Apple. Desktops, we have Dell... so not a high bar. XD

7 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

heyy guys can we wait for OP to comment before replying? they've only said literally one word on the topic

see my comment above. 

If it is not broken, let's fix till it is. 

On 11/16/2018 at 4:03 PM, DrMacintosh said:

This is true, each macOS version is only supported for a relatively small period of time because Apple makes a whole new version every year that you’ free to upgrade to. 

Apple doesnt just make one OS and then sits on ass for 11 years. 

and this is one of the biggest reasons, beside the insane hardware cost, that companies will never adopt macOS based stuff on a big scale.

The company i worked for spend nearly a million euros to switch from Windows XP to Windows 7 a few years ago and this does not include any license cost.

Companies need strict control over the OS and the release cycle from microsoft always gives them a few years of buffer before the next OS upgrade becomes more or less mandatory.

1 minute ago, Pixel5 said:

and this is one of the biggest reasons, beside the insane hardware cost, that companies will never adopt macOS based stuff on a big scale.

Apple is a consumer company, not an enterprise company. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

1 minute ago, DrMacintosh said:

Apple is a consumer company, not an enterprise company. 

their product portfolio tells a different story and it also used to be different.

they grew big with professional users and still carry the products in their portfolio trying to fill that market but fail horribly with their trash can pro.

I would say that no. Macs have a lot of the same equipment as normal pcs, they're just built in a different way. I love the looks of a mac but working on one is harder. Tons of screws and everything is crammed in there. Oh yeah and they use many different types and sizes of screws so you have to remember what goes where.

On 11/15/2018 at 8:51 PM, sud said:

TITLE

Well, I have a 2012 MacBook Pro (13" 1280x800, i7-3520M (2.9GHz), 8GB of RAM, and upgraded to a 250GB SSD). It has held up quite well. I've only had it for a few months now so I can't say how much it has degraded, but I highly doubt a similar range Windows laptop from nearly 7 years ago could hold up as well as my MacBook has.

Being Ivy Bridge, and only 2c/4t, it's not great for heavy workloads, and can get rather hot, but for web browsing, office/school work, and light photoshop use, it does a great job.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W