Suggest me a laptop!

Hi there!

I'm looking for a laptop to replace my desktop: I've moved countries (US) and am living in a dorm and no longer have the space for a desktop and am also travelling a lot (every few months back home to NZ). I've looked around at the Clevo shells built by Origin Xotic etc. but they seem pretty bad for the price (then again I have no idea because I'm not well versed in laptops). I'll be using the computer mostly for heavy video editing (I shoot on a Blackmagic Cinema in its proprietary RAW and do some colour correcting, and a Canon 5D MKIV RAW) and gaming (not too fussed, mostly just play Dota and a few titles here and there. When I go back to NZ for holidays I'd be playing games all the time and won't be doing work on it).  Here's what I'm looking for:

Budget: No real budget, so long as it's not ridiculous for what I'll be using it for. Would like not to spend over 5000 USD

Processor: I'd rather a desktop one than a mobile one, anything with power equal to or higher than a 7700k would be nice. The Xotic/ Clevo ones go up to 9900k and I'd be pretty happy with one of those too.

GPU: Preferably a 1080 or Quadro equivalent, I'm not sure if Quadros are worth the price especially in laptops though

Screen: Not too fussed as when I'm editing I should be connected to an external monitor, would like a 1080p screen 144hz as when I'm not using a monitor I'll

probably be playing Dota.

Storage: Again, not too fussed as most my stuff are on a disk array stored separately. A SSD to store my OS and a few select programs and games, nothing over 500GB, and a secondary HDD or SDD would be nice but not necessary.

Battery life: Don't care, doubt this configuration would have good battery life, plan to use it tethered 90% of the time anyway.

RAM: I'm under the impression from websites and IRL advice that I should go for 64Gb for my workload, but I'll take any into consideration any amount.

Size: Don't care at all :D

IO: Thunderbolt would be nice, the more connections the better. Not too fussed here.

Again, I'm very new to desktop replacements and have no idea what's a fair price. I tried to configure one on Xotic and Origin and there was a 700$ price difference even though parts seems similar... Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks so much ❤️

Peter

The Helios 500 with the 2700 and a Vega GPU. Comes with a 17" 144Hz 1080p or 4k60 display with freesync. I got the Intel version paired with a gtx 1070 and I really like it, though I cant OC' it like I could with the ryzen but then again my turbo clockspeed is 4GHz so that's plenty. Has Thunderbolt, DP 1.4, HDMI, comes with a 1TB drive and a 256GB M.2 SSD and has a second m.2 slot free. 16  Gigs RAM with two free dimm slots.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/NH.Q3GAA.001

41 minutes ago, Peter_Is_Cool said:

I'd rather a desktop one than a mobile one

Clevo P775/P870 from resellers that offer delid CPU service like HIDevolution and ObsidianPC

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128