Where to buy a Win 7 ultimate key?

iKratos

Hi fam, are the $10 keys for win 7 ultimate @ eBay genuine? I came to know that those are taken from scraped PCs and I'm wondering if there is a chance that the key can get blacklisted by MS in future? And would I have to call MS to activate?

I also wonder why this line is written on most listings - This key cannot be used to download the Windows from MS. I wonder why?

Can anyone tell if it's okay to buy or not? And what is the next safest and genuine place to buy a Win 7 key for cheap?

Thanks in advance!

the issue with these keys is you're entirely dependant on the honesty of the seller.

they could, for example, be selling the keys multiple times (usually, they'll activate about 3 times before issues), which means the key you're using is potentially also used by two other people.

in other words, they work just fine, there's nothing "lawfully illegal" about them, but you're also getting something slightly sketchy with absolute zero support guaranteed.

Windows 7 cannot be bought in retail anymore, so your only option is keys like that. Whether you have to use the call to activate function depends on the type of key and your install medium.

i.e. you can only activate an OEM key with an OEM DVD and same goes for retail. If it's a genuine key, it shouldn't be an issue, though.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

8 minutes ago, iKratos said:

Hi fam, are the $10 keys for win 7 ultimate @ eBay genuine?

They are genuine OEM keys. If they are branded ones, they will lock to mobo. Unless you upgrade to Win10 pro with one and connect it to MS account.

I came to know that those are taken from scraped PCs and I'm wondering if there is a chance that the key can get blacklisted by MS in future?

It is possibility, but rare one of that. Microsoft has done it to mainly Win10 Education and Enterprise license packs.

And would I have to call MS to activate?

After getting blacklisted, they would tell you its blacklisted and that you need to buy new key, real one. If it isn't activating, then you can call and go through automated one.

I also wonder why this line is written on most listings - This key cannot be used to download the Windows from MS. I wonder why?

Its means that its branded OEM. Aka that you are supposed to use manufacturers recovery media to install.

Can anyone tell if it's okay to buy or not? And what is the next safest and genuine place to buy a Win 7 key for cheap?

I wouldn't. I have bought all my keys legit, paid full price for them (one is OEM, but paid full €80 for it still). I will continue to buy only full legit licenses.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

They are genuine OEM keys. If they are branded ones, they will lock to mobo. Unless you upgrade to Win10 pro with one and connect it to MS account.

It is possibility, but rare one of that. Microsoft has done it to mainly Win10 Education and Enterprise license packs.

After getting blacklisted, they would tell you its blacklisted and that you need to buy new key, real one. If it isn't activating, then you can call and go through automated one.

Its means that its branded OEM. Aka that you are supposed to use manufacturers recovery media to install.

I wouldn't. I have bought all my keys legit, paid full price for them (one is OEM, but paid full €80 for it still). I will continue to buy only full legit licenses.

Where did you buy it from?

Just now, iKratos said:

Where did you buy it from?

Local PC hardware store called Tietokonekauppa.fi. The one before that (Vista) was from Jimm's.fi. Rest of licenses have come with laptops or pre-builds.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Local PC hardware store called Tietokonekauppa.fi. The one before that (Vista) was from Jimm's.fi. Rest of licenses have come with laptops or pre-builds.

Alright. So, every laptop then and nowadays that comes with prebuilt windows is actually a retail key or an oem key?

Just now, iKratos said:

Alright. So, every laptop then and nowadays that comes with prebuilt windows is actually a retail key or an oem key?

Laptops and prebuilds which have Windows installed have OEM keys. Thats what OEM stands for, Original Equipment Manufacturer. Retail is the other, which means that anyone can buy it.

Its bit different how those work now vs 2011 when I bought Win7. With Win7, there were 2 types of OEMs. Ones aimed for those who build custom stuff. And bigger corporations like Dell, HP, Asus etc. Latter were referred as "branded" as the activation didn't work if it was used on hardware which wasn't made by the brand. The non-branded OEMs were like retail, just €70 cheaper.

Now there aren't multiple OEMs. They all lock to first device activated, unless you connect license to MS account. Then it moves with that account. And you can still get full price OEMs. For Pro its $120-150 (retail is $200)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 minute ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Laptops and prebuilds which have Windows installed have OEM keys. Thats what OEM stands for, Original Equipment Manufacturer. Retail is the other, which means that anyone can buy it.

Its bit different how those work now vs 2011 when I bought Win7. With Win7, there were 2 types of OEMs. Ones aimed for those who build custom stuff. And bigger corporations like Dell, HP, Asus etc. Latter were referred as "branded" as the activation didn't work if it was used on hardware which wasn't made by the brand. The non-branded OEMs were like retail, just €70 cheaper.

Now there aren't multiple OEMs. They all lock to first device activated, unless you connect license to MS account. Then it moves with that account. And you can still get full price OEMs. For Pro its $120-150 (retail is $200)

Oh alright. Thanks for the detail.

I've personally had good experiences buying keys off of eBay. If I buy one and it doesn't work, I'll use eBay or PayPal protection to get the money back. I'd buy with a credit card, too, so that if in the long-term the key stops working for some reason I can more easily initiate a chargeback.

If you have a legitimate key and it stops working with Microsoft for some reason, though a retail key shouldn't, then it's your right, including your legal right to crack Windows 7 to install and keep using it.

5 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Here's a retail Windows 7 Ultimate key for $10: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-Ultimate-32-64bit-Full-Version-Activation-Key/123459264592

I don't know what "this Product key does not work with any existing copy of Windows 7 Ultimate" means, though. I've messaged the seller for an explanation.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I've personally had good experiences buying keys off of eBay. If I buy one and it doesn't work, I'll use eBay or PayPal protection to get the money back. I'd buy with a credit card, too, so that if in the long-term the key stops working for some reason I can more easily initiate a chargeback.

If you have a legitimate key and it stops working with Microsoft for some reason, though a retail key shouldn't, then it's your right, including your legal right to crack Windows 7 to install and keep using it.

Here's a retail Windows 7 Ultimate key for $10: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Windows-7-Ultimate-32-64bit-Full-Version-Activation-Key/123459264592

I don't know what "this Product key does not work with any existing copy of Windows 7 Ultimate" means, though. I've messaged the seller for an explanation.

Even I messaged the seller carbar018 and he said these are OEM keys. And yes the cc and chargeback thing is a good idea so yea risk can be taken.

1 minute ago, iKratos said:

Even I messaged the seller carbar018 and he said these are OEM keys. And yes the cc and chargeback thing is a good idea so yea risk can be taken.

Oh, that's odd that they don't mention it being OEM in their listing, then.

I searched up the product ID GLC-00181, and the information that I read suggested it should be retail.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

33 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Oh, that's odd that they don't mention it being OEM in their listing, then.

I searched up the product ID GLC-00181, and the information that I read suggested it should be retail.

He said it is oem and even he is using it on his pc with no problem.